Brake squeal/squeak

Noticed last few days that when coming to a stop the brakes squeal terrible

Car has done 2000 miles

Any others the same...

would the dealer's look at under warranty or not

Car is mainly used in traffic so all low speed with a occasional motorway trip fortnightly

If you have been driving on roads that have been heavily salted, then maybe it is just down to salt glazing on the mating surfaces, if so, a bit of heavy usage could clear that, if not a quick clean up with rough emery paper should.

Edit:- possibly too many of us drive with "due care and attention" and that can mean that the braking surfaces are not kept clean and free from salty glazing - I know that I used to get "firm" with the brakes on my wife's last Polo, but now that we are both retired, I'm the one that seems to do all the driving (she does not like comments from the passenger seat - neither do I but that is not relevant it seems).

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

If you have been driving on roads that have been heavily salted, then maybe it is just down to salt glazing on the mating surfaces, if so, a bit of heavy usage could clear that, if not a quick clean up with rough emery paper should.

Edit:- possibly too many of us drive with "due care and attention" and that can mean that the braking surfaces are not kept clean and free from salty glazing - I know that I used to get "firm" with the brakes on my wife's last Polo, but now that we are both retired, I'm the one that seems to do all the driving (she does not like comments from the passenger seat - neither do I but that is not relevant it seems).

I like the edit I have a brilliant back seat driver i don't know how I get from A to B on my own :)

• 4 weeks later...

They will look under warranty as it's a known issue. Just had mine done, although it's still there. The first step, which according to their master tech usually sorts it, is a change to a different type of pads. Personally, I think it's more likely the caliper as the wear on the disc just doesn't look like it's getting even pressure across the width of the pad. 

It's the pads. 

The material in them is far too hard.

we were originally fitting Octavia eco pads that were a softer compound with edge chamfers that stopped the problem completely, then skoda eventually admitted there was a problem and demanded we fit new pads supplied by them to all the cars we had repaired, pads which eventually squeak again. 

#square1 

On 13/02/2017 at 20:50, James@RRGRochdale said:

It's the pads. 

The material in them is far too hard.

we were originally fitting Octavia eco pads that were a softer compound with edge chamfers that stopped the problem completely, then skoda eventually admitted there was a problem and demanded we fit new pads supplied by them to all the cars we had repaired, pads which eventually squeak again. 

#square1 

Yup, 2 days it took for mine to start squealing again. It's only the front right though. Back we go again! 

Mine seems to have sorted itself 

Our lass drives like a little old lady and the car only does short mileage all in traffic with a fortnightly trip from Nottingham to Milton Keynes 

I've been driving last few days and let's just say driving with a bit more enthusiasm and so far it squeak and squeal free 

I get a weird squeaking, but only in reverse. A good hard press of the pedal cures it until the next time I reverse. Good to hear that they're using awkward pads....

Mine are noisy but its not a squeal, its more like  the grinding noise that get when you first use the brakes after you have washed your car. Im sure that i can feel a slight vibration on the brake pedal too. I have checked to see if there is a stone trapped between a pad and the disc but no sign of anything. I am going to get Skoda to have a look when it goes in for its service next month! I will let you know of the outcome. 

The grinding kind of sound is normal at low speed had a similar issue in the roomster and Skoda tech said it was normal 

Speaking of trapped stones out honda civic had a spate of them trapped over the last few weeks 

• 3 weeks later...

So they fitted a different Make of Brake Pads under warranty did they, do you know what these were?

best get a copy of the invoice from them if you never already with the part number. 

It does not matter if the Service Desk person says Skoda are paying and you can not be told, it is your car so it is your information that they need to share.

?

Which Dealership Workshop was the car at?

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

So they fitted a different Make of Brake Pads under warranty did they, do you know what these were?

best get a copy of the invoice from them if you never already with the part number. 

It does not matter if the Service Desk person says Skoda are paying and you can not be told, it is your car so it is your information that they need to share.

?

Which Dealership Workshop was the car at?

West End Garage in Edinburgh. To be fair, they've always been excellent. I've had loads of issues with cars and they've always gone above and beyond to resolve issues. To the point where I was so impressed with the customer service, I enquired about a job. I've no doubt it'll get sorted, I've just got to go through the procedural chain and jump the hoops til it's fixed. Just annoying! 

• Like 1

No actually the Master Tech has to just do what he / she can do.

They can do all the talk about 'Asking Skoda UK / Skoda CZ for a technical answer etc etc, 

there were over 20,000 Fabia sold in the UK last year so if more owners / keepers keep complaining then sometime someplace something might be discussed.

We'll just have to see what they say this time. The master tech seems a good lad. We're on first name terms now that I've been out that much. The two previous "fixes" he said were sure to work as he's had this fault before and it worked. Also mentioned a new spec pad which is what was fitted. Hey ho. 

This issue has been ongoing for some time now and usually affects fabia colour editions from a certain build period that use the 256mm, vented ATE FS III front brake setup, which has been used for over 20 years on VAG cars without any issues. 

For the first 6 months of this issue Skoda UK flat out denied that there was a problem with the pads. 

On every car we checked the pads had hot-spots on the pads and there was copious, visible amounts of brass-like metallic compound in them too. These hard spots are where the material can no longer wear onto the disc surface correctly and where the noise originates from. 

The pad material in question is very dark in colour with metallic flecks and they are manufactured by ATE in Italy.

At first we were advised to fit like for like parts which eventually resulted in the same problem, then I thought outside the box and matched some Octavia ECO pads that were a completely different compound, light in colour, they had chamfered edges and a slot cut down the middle to remove excess dust. With these fitted the cars no longer had the issue and that's what we did to a dozen or so fabias. It's also worth mentioning that these were made in India by a different company. We had no complaints after these were fitted.

Then some "suit" at the top decided that they were now going to admit liability and take some proactive action. Que the recall of any vehicle we had worked on for this issue.

Along came the "new" pads and a "bedding in" procedure (never had to do such a thing on any other set of standard pads and I must have fitted thousands of sets!?).

The work is carried out, everyone is happy apart from our aftersales manager because despite Skoda stipulating that we MUST carry out the bedding in procedure that takes about an hour - they don't want to pay us for it! 

3 weeks later and on the exact same day - 3 customers with the new pads call up to say they have started squeaking again. 

Back to the workshop > Indian pads fitted > problem solved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And so it continues..... 

Skoda technical called the dealer not long after I was in the last time to enquire about this fault. When in this time, they asked to be sent the video I took and also pictures of the pads and discs. They know there's an issue but no fix for me until a service bulletin is released. At least it's being investigated. Back to squeaking down the road, for now at least. 

Skoda UK Technical must be in various locations around the UK and not speaking to each other or just talking BS to Dealerships, 

or Dealerships to customers.