creaking/sqeaking steering

Hi,we have a 2 year old Octavia vRS tdi hatchback.A problem has developed recently with the steering.Its sqeaking and/or creaking all the time but you can only really hear it at low speed.Honestly it sounds like an old taxi with mega miles on the clock.Theres only 18 k miles on it.We think it might actually be the steering wheel itself.Any help or input would be great. 

Mine has started doing this also. It's definitely coming from the steering wheel inside the car. Kinda like a rapid ticking sound on slow turns.

Please keep us posted on progress, as it will be some time before I get mine looked at.

Hi. Same here, only that to a lesser extent (< 1 yo car). It comes from a sort of friction that occurs around the 12 o'clock position, I have so far only noticed it during the summer. Seems to go away if I pull the steering wheels towards me, must be some kind of misalignment. Alongside the creaking centre console, squeaking passenger seat belt and (more recently) whining door, it adds up to somewhat of a disappointment build quality wise. And to a long to do list when I get it serviced. Too bad for an otherwise great car.

I have a very similar noise. Only happens when turning right, at very slow speed. My car has been at the dealership since 3rd Oct. (Went in still under warranty, that has now ran out while the car has been there !) I have had nearside top mount, strut, hub (I'm assuming bearing too) and drive shaft replaced, noise is still there. A Skoda engineer is visiting the dealership 24th Jan to assist the dealership. Will keep you posted ( I have a post running about this )

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Also interested to see if there’s any update on this one? My 2018 1.5 SE L is the prefect practical car but it’s disappointing me on so many levels recently. All build quality wise really. Noises and knocks. The steering recently at low speed keeps clunking or creaking and they just replaced a front ns damper that was weeping a bit as the suspected cause. It isn’t! It didn’t do it 6 months ago. And now I can’t stop hearing it. It’s worsened so much I can’t ignore it - warranty expires November. Grrr