Nilfisk pressure washer problem

cnc

Having never owned a pressure washer before I took a look through Briskoda and many people recommended Nilfisk. I took the plunge and ordered a Nilfisk E145 from Cleanstore https://www.cleanstore.co.uk/products/Product.asp?ID=13384&?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&gclid=CM_1p_Hh0tECFUcQ0wodTb0BAQ

I usually wash both my wife's car and mine at the same time, when it was new it was great but after 6 months or so it would last long enough to wash one car but keep cutting out when washing the second car. When I pulled the trigger the Nilfisk would emit a faint hum but the pump wouldn't cut in. Leave it for 10 minutes or so and it would work again. 

Eventually I returned it to Nilfisk under warranty, when it was returned it worked fine for another few months - until now. After I've been using it for 10-15 minutes and I pull the trigger again nothing happens, it doesn't emit a humming noise like it did before, it just seems dead. Leave it for another 10 minutes and works again. I contacted Nilfisk  and they asked me if I run it off an extension lead which I do.

They informed me it isn't recommended to use an electrical extension lead as the power supply isn't stron enough. Anyone heard of this before?. A copy of their reply is here. 

It isn't recommended that you use an extension cable with the units as the power supply isn't strong enough. It causes the machine to over heat and the thermal cut out with in the unit to trip.

If you can please leave it over night and then try plugging it directly into the mains. 

Best regards

Customer services representative

Nilfisk Ltd | Nilfisk House | Bowerbank Way | Gilwilly Industrial Estate | Penrith | Cumbria | CA11 9BQ | Phone +44(0)1768 869 351 | [email protected] | www.nilfisk.co.uk

Sounds bull**** to me . I have a karcher old one was 15 years old and was still working fine but conector corroded . Replacement fine as well both using a 30 m extension cable . You have to use a cable fully unwound as they can overheat and trip and I do 3 cars at once with no problems

Edited by blueR36
  • Like 2

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Got up this morning and found the instruction manual that came with the machine and it clearly states you can use an extension cable.

Page 7 of the Nilfisk instruction manual states:

Nilfisk recommends use of an extension cable drum when cable extension is needed which keeps the socket at least 60mm above ground. 

Cables on extension cable drums should always be completely unwound to prevent overheating. Extension cables must comply with the below mentioned requirements for length and cable dimensions:

1.0mm 12.5M max

1.5mm 20.0M max

2.5mm 30.0M max

Seems the customer service is telling me incorrect information.

Right, I'm off outside to try it again, I have my Superb estate and a Mitsubishi L200 to wash!.

Don't forget the key to this is to make sure that your extension lead meets or exceeds these specifications: -

1.0mm 12.5M max

1.5mm 20.0M max

2.5mm 30.0M max

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 2

Don't forget the key to this is to make sure that your extension lead meets or exceeds these specifications: -

1.0mm 12.5M max

1.5mm 20.0M max

2.5mm 30.0M max

+1 from me, the size of the conductor wire is critical for the current drawn by the washer, and also make sure that the cable is unwound COMPLETELY off the reel as the coiled up cable will become a big electromagnet and heat up - possibly melting. also, as mentioned above, check all the connections are clean and tight. Voltage drop is your enemy on long cable runs.

• Like 1

This morning I plugged the unit directly in to the mains socket in my garage - same result. It works for 2-3 minutes then cuts out, leave it for 5 minutes then it might or might not work again. I've emailed Nilfisk and await their reply.

I think I've just been unlucky as generally Nilfisk have a very good reputation and so far the customer service has been excellent except for them stating it isn't recommended to use an extension lead!.

So it was back to the hose pipe but at least we now have two sparkly clean vehicles outside. Until it rains again :rain: . I have a silver Superb which hides the dirt very well, the L200 is white which shows every little piece of dirt.

• Like 2

This morning I plugged the unit directly in to the mains socket in my garage - same result. It works for 2-3 minutes then cuts out, leave it for 5 minutes then it might or might not work again. I've emailed Nilfisk and await their reply.

I think I've just been unlucky as generally Nilfisk have a very good reputation and so far the customer service has been excellent except for them stating it isn't recommended to use an extension lead!.

So it was back to the hose pipe but at least we now have two sparkly clean vehicles outside. Until it rains again :rain: . I have a silver Superb which hides the dirt very well, the L200 is white which shows every little piece of dirt.

Given that it is doing it when plugged directly into the supply outlet, sounds like you've got a dud - is the plug "moulded on" to the lead (probable), or is it a rewireable type? If rewireable, have you checked the plug terminals for loose connections? I presume that it is still in warranty, Google the sale of goods act UK. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cnc said:

I have now been in contact with Nilfisk again and explained the original problem has returned. They have offered me without quibble a brand new pressure washer - for free.

Can't complain at that as the faulty one is just over two years old.

A big thumbs up to Nilfisk, great customer care and I hope anyone reading this will bear that in mind next time they want to purchase a new pressure washer.

Thanks Nilfisk.

Great result - Nilfisk support certainly up there with the best.

• Like 2