Extras

I am going to ask one of the unanswerable questions of our age.

I am about to place the order on a L&K combi. This is a company car and the amount I can spend is reasonably generous.

So if I want to I can tick lots of the option boxes. So from your experience. What is the option that you are most glad that you specified and which option is a complete waste of space and money?

As it's a company car and you are already going for an l&k, for any options would you have to contribute to these from your own pocket ? ((PUC)) (exclude bik p111d value)

For me.. I would be ordering a pano roof.

Heated windscreen is standard fit on L&K.

Heated washer nozzles are extra.

Pano roof if it's an estate.

Ventilated front seats.

Reversing camera

For me it would be the towbar and reversing camera. I do a lot of towing so the former was a requirement, but the latter has made life so easy to reverse up to the trailer hitch (the camera has various modes including a "look down" mode for approaching the hitch, and a yellow line that moves with the steering wheel so you go straight towards the hitch). But the camera is really useful for general parking etc - it's a big car!

I don’t regret ordering any of the following:

Smart Light Assist - the lights look much nicer and have better functions, it’s also quite cheap (£100) on the L&K

Flappy paddles (despite then swapping the wheel for a flat bottom wheel... like the Sportline)

Ventilated seats - great on a hot day

Reversing camera - pretty useful

Heated washer nozzles - daft not to order them @ £50 (even if they should be std with a heated screen IMO)

19” Phoenix alloys - 19”s just look much better on the S3 IMO and you do not lose comfort

Rear side window blinds - the Sunset glass is not that dark and they do help

Bluetooth with Phonebox - I was sceptical about this one, but it does improve signal quality slightly

Spare wheel - wouldn’t own a car without one, a can of gunk can only repair so much

Crew Protection Assist - why not

Options I chose not to order:

Sunroof - Had them in the past, our Yeti L&K has the Panoramic roof (std on a L&K Yeti) but I not use them

Towbar - Have no use for one--- but if I did it would be the factory fit swivelling one

Travel Assist with TSR - Coded this myself with VCDS (saved £85)

Front passenger seat adjustment from rear - I have no use for it

Isofix on passenger seat - No use for it

Rear wiper - spoils the look on the hatch, on a combi it’s essential (and std)

Smokers pack - do not smoke

Waste bin - though about it, but decided against it as I do not leave rubbish in the car anyway

Heated steering wheel - was not an option for mine, but I would spec it now... but not at the expense of the flat bottom wheel!

Rear backrest release from boot - unneeded, if I want the seats down then chances are I will be opening the rear doors anyway

Hill hold - not needed (on the DSG at least) as there is auto hold fitted as std)

Media Command - if it was needed then I would use the personal hotspot on my phone

Smartgate - thought about it, decided it was probably a gimmick 

TV tuner - got it as std on a MY16, but would not pay extra for it

What I regret not ordering:

4x4 - The 190 can struggle putting the power through the front wheels on anything but a bone dry road

Smart Light Assist - the lights look much nicer and have better functions, it’s also quite cheap (£100) on the L&K

Flappy paddles (despite then swapping the wheel for a flat bottom wheel... like the Sportline)

Heated washer nozzles - daft not to order them @ £50 (even if they should be std with a heated screen IMO)

19” Phoenix alloys - 19”s just look much better on the S3 IMO and you do not lose comfort

Bluetooth with Phonebox - I was sceptical about this one, but it does improve signal quality slightly

Spare wheel - wouldn’t own a car without one, a can of gunk can only repair so much

Sunroof - Had them in the past, our Yeti L&K has the Panoramic roof (std on a L&K Yeti) but I not use them

Towbar - Have no use for one--- but if I did it would be the factory fit swivelling one

Waste bin - though about it, but decided against it as I do not leave rubbish in the car anyway

Heated steering wheel - was not an option for mine, but I would spec it now... but not at the expense of the flat bottom wheel!

Rear backrest release from boot - unneeded, if I want the seats down then chances are I will be opening the rear doors anyway

Hill hold - not needed (on the DSG at least) as there is auto hold fitted as std)

Media Command - if it was needed then I would use the personal hotspot on my phone

4x4 - The 190 can struggle putting the power through the front wheels on anything but a bone dry road

The rear wiper comes with the reversing camera. The rear wash/wipe also cleans the camera lens.

The rear wiper comes with the reversing camera. The rear wash/wipe also cleans the camera lens.

Only from MY17 (mine is MY16)

I would have either not ordered the camera or ordered the Combi if I had to have a rear wiper on the car. 

Definitely agree on ventilated seats, although I haven't experienced them on my new yet I have on other cars and it transforms a warm summers day drive.  The heated steering wheel plus paddles if not already on it are a very nice, relatively low cost option.  I regret not ordering the heated windscreen.

I'm finding the rear wiper to be essential. But everyone to their own.

Now that the Gtechniq on the windows has all but worn off (applied 13 months ago) I can see where you are coming from, but I can honestly say with it applied it keeps the screen very clear, after reading a few posts where owners are complaining how poor the rear washer and wiper is then the Gtechniq probably keeps it clearer than having the wiper...

Towbar is on the list. If have a folding one my Passat and like it.

Heated steering wheel is a must according to my wife

What's not on the list at the moment.

4x4 too much tax

Panoramic roof just haven't used a sunroof for years even when fitted. Also always find get hammer from air when they are open

Ventilated seats I dismissed these as a gimmick I might have to reconsider.

The vents in the seats can be used with the heaters to help dry you if you're damp (and imho look better than the plain leather).

I second the calls for reversing camera, smart lights, shift paddles and the rear blinds. All I'd say are now essentials for me.

I ended up ordering most of the extras including the net partition, rear seat release, variable boot and tow bar. The seat release is handy if you are going to be dropping the seats often and isn't that expensive. The variable boot floor is great for hiding clutter, adds flexibility (flat cargo space with the seats down) and is much better designed than the old system - you can drop the floor down in seconds and there are no gaps. The net partition is handy for those times when the boot is full to the brim with cargo that can shift - if you're not doing that then it's pretty useless.

I would recommend the following: Phoenix Anthracite 19 inch wheels, Sunblinds, Heated washer nozzles,  Rear view parking camera, Sunroof, Spare wheel, DSG paddles, Smart light assist, front and rear mudflaps and a waste bin.

OK, this is what I ordered in end.

190 L&K dsg  Estate Beige leather, Jungle green metallic

The extras from back to front

Integrated towbar

Rear camera

Rear wiper

Space saver spare

vairable boot floor

backrest release

Retractable parcel shelf

Heated Steering wheel with paddles

Travel assist with traffic sign recognition

Smart light assist

Media command

Heated washer nozzles

Note one.  I didn't in the end go for the ventilated seats, or 19" inch wheels.  The seats I might resist the wheels I don't think I will notice I am mr averageish driver.

Note two.  I ordered the media command by mistake, I have more chance of becoming the next Pope, than it getting used. 

I'm not saying this is the correct choice but it is definitely my choice.  

• Like 1

On ‎21‎-‎01‎-‎2017 at 12:30, Gizmo68 said:

Is your standard flappy paddle wheel then up for sale? :)