defrosting the windscreen

Hi

This morning it was very cold and I had a nice layer of frost on the windows. I saw a neighbour pouring water over the windscreen to clear it,

When young (a long time ago) I was told never to do this as I might crack the glass.

I suppose windscreens are different today than they were, but ought I pour cold/warm/hot water over the screen when it's frozen up?

Can I do it on the other windows

Not really an Octavia Q I suppose , but hope you will advise.

Thanks   KK

You could pour cold water on it without any risk of cracking. But depending on the temperature it's probably not the best idea. If it's very cold weather the water will rapidly freeze wherever it has run to, in the gutters and drains of the car perhaps

Lukewarm water should be fine. I don't personally do it, but my neighbour does every morning and hasn't cracked their windows or anything.

Boiling hot water is a big no no.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

I just use a car cover I bought from Lidl's for £4.99. Put it on the night before and take it off in the morning. All windows are frost/ ice free. < 5minutes work in total and zero risk of windows cracking.

• Like 1

I just use a car cover I bought from Lidl's for £4.99. Put it on the night before and take it off in the morning. All windows are frost/ ice free. < 5minutes work in total and zero risk of windows cracking.

covers the whole car ? or just the screen ?

I find the 1.4 TSi warms up so quickly you don't need to do any kind of external defrost unless you are in a real hurry.

I've have used aerosol defrost spray but it isn't really necessary, or much good!

(For unheated side windows I just use the good old scraper!)

Edited by ednmra

Windscreen completely frozen over late last night and for the first time I saw how effective a heated screen is; max 30 secs and it was clear. Used aerosols previously but not always completely effective; never liked using warm water as it can freeze in run off areas. Windscreen covers seem a good idea although never used them myself.

Just to rub salt into the wound for those without heated screens, I also used the heated drivers seat for the first time (both new to me); a warm backside and lumber region after a short while - a very pleasurable drive home in not so pleasant weather . Sorry.

• Like 1

The winter pack heats the seat and screen very effectively, but on previous cars I used lukewarm water and never had a problem. 
Chucking a kettle of boiling water on a frozen screen is asking for trouble, but a bit above room temperature isn't going to do any harm.

Windscreen completely frozen over late last night and for the first time I saw how effective a heated screen is; max 30 secs and it was clear. Used aerosols previously but not always completely effective; never liked using warm water as it can freeze in run off areas. Windscreen covers seem a good idea although never used them myself.

Just to rub salt into the wound for those without heated screens, I also used the heated drivers seat for the first time (both new to me); a warm backside and lumber region after a short while - a very pleasurable drive home in not so pleasant weather . Sorry.

Agreed, winter pack is lovely :)

I start the car, turn on the front blower to max (with AC) and the rear heated windscreen. Within 5 minutes it's good to go.

• Like 1

Luke warm water from the tap in a jug is a quick way to defrost.

However it can freeze on the driveway making it slippy.

Also be careful with ice scrapers, the glass on the mk3 seems to scratch easily.

I dont like starting and idling the car, it annoys the neighbours, wastes fuel and doesn't heat the car up that fast.

My neighbour starts his diesel tractor at 6.30am sits there for 10mins clanking until it defrosts...

Edited by glosrich

However it can freeze on the driveway making it slippy.

Also be careful with ice scrapers, the glass on the mk3 seems to scratch easily.

I dont like starting and idling the car, it annoys the neighbours, wastes fuel and doesn't heat the car up that fast.

My neighbour starts his diesel tractor at 6.30am sits there for 10mins clanking until it defrosts...

Maybe I am your neighbour! Oops

I dont like starting and idling the car, it annoys the neighbours, wastes fuel and doesn't heat the car up that fast

Sooner you start the car, the sooner it'll be warm, surely?

I bet there's little cost differential in supplying hot water to clear the windscreen, than letting the car idle for 5 minutes.

The luke warm water for the screen costs nothing as I DON'T move before a cup of coffee in the morning hence, I'm just re-using a byproduct.

In addition, I leave the house at 04:30h, running on tick over for 5 mins ain't an option nextdoor would like

Edited by themanwithnoaim

If you have a petrol then I suggest warm up the car for a few minutes & use the blowers (AC) & rear demister, 3-5 mins good to go with out disturbing any neighbours.  B)

If you have a diesel then I suggest use the luke warm water method because no neighbour wants to be woken up from hearing a tractor first thing in the morning.

:giggle:  :giggle:   :D  :rofl: