2016 Fabia first service

Hi All

My Fabia is due for its 1st service, basically oil & filter change, oh and a free wash if i am lucky !, Now my problem is with the selling dealer who i feel have shafted me a few times  :thumbdown:  (but thats another story) the service plan that they offered me seemed to be a bit on the high side price wise & figures did,nt add up, so i declined, now as i work in a bodyshop i am of the mind to do the service myself, my question to you good people is,

1. can i turn off the oil/service warning light/message myself if so how do i do it ?

2.is there a section on this forum you can point me to for the instructions ?

3.will the service message appear again when the next service is due ?

thanks in advance

Get it serviced at a dealer whilst its in warranty. Then do it yourself after 3 years.

If anything goes wrong you can get it fixed under warranty

A minor service is £149, so not that pricey.

Use another dealer if you really dislike the selling one.

The handbook tells you how to reset the service indicator.

Edited by glosrich

Get it serviced at a dealer whilst its in warranty. Then do it yourself after 3 years.

If anything goes wrong you can get it fixed under warranty

A minor service is £149, so not that pricey.

Use another dealer if you really dislike the selling one.

The handbook tells you how to reset the service indicator.

£149 for an oil & filter change less than an hours work, not a bad hourly rate is it

They are charging around £13 a litre for oil, £9 for a filter, £2 for a Plug, Washer Fluid, & then the VAT goes on ~20%, that the Government get.

they maybe even have an 'Environmental charge'( to sell the used oil!) at the dealership, that is a con.

so the hourly rate is not that high.

Then there is that lovely Wash & Vacuum.

What is the hourly rate your Employers charge for Trained Technicians charge doing an 'Insurance Job'?

Get an Independent to do your Servicing, maybe with Licensed Equipment that gets VW Group TPI's and Software Updates etc.

Wait and see what they ask for a Major Service even if the use parts or not, 

you might get a Pollen Filter but not an Air Filter but ask you to pay an extra £110 over a Minor Service.

Edited by Offski

There is no standard charge, so haggle or shop around. First service on my Fabia SE L 1.2 TSI 110 DSG was done last September by my local dealer. Including a safety video of the underside of the car and tyres, plus 2 cups of good coffee, the all up cost was £89 and some coppers.

I am very happy with my dealer.

We had a letter from our supplying dealer saying first service was due, quoted at £169. I phoned my local Skoda garage to compare and they quoted £109. Phoned supplying garage and queried this, they then said no problem we can do it for £99, they've got some cheek. 

I also have a question about my Fabia III 1.2 TSI 90 first service. I bought it as ex-demonstrator with 4800 miles on the clock. However when I picked it up they said it had been serviced at 4500 miles... I'm assuming that was a minor service. So now the car says:

1. Inspection in 17700 miles

2. Oil Change 7100 miles

The dealer is saying it needs a major service at 14500 miles, but surly that would be a minor service and then major at 24500 miles?

Best get back in touch and have them sort it out.

They might want a vehicle on Fixed Servicing & 9,400 / 372 day intervals, 

but at 4,500 miles they should have used Long Life oil and the car can be on Variable Servicing, & by miles, say 18,500 or 2 years.

So the Oil Change the car shows is the Fixed Servicing.  What do you want it on, Fixed or Variable.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

PS

When you say the Dealer says,  do you mean an employee of the Dealership on the Service desk says.

Talk with the Service Manager and if needs must the Dealer Principal ie The Dealer... Organ grinder not the M****Y

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

but at 4,500 miles they should have used Long Life oil and the car can be on Variable Servicing, & by miles, say 18,500 or 2 years.

So the Oil Change the car shows is the Fixed Servicing.  What do you want it on, Fixed or Variable.

PS

When you say the Dealer says,  do you mean an employee of the Dealership on the Service desk says.

Talk with the Service Manager and if needs must the Dealer Principal ie The Dealer... Organ grinder not the M****Y

Is there anywhere online we can see the detail of our services? I have the Skoda app but it only says a service was carried out, the ID number and miles at the time.

Email Skoda UK Customer services & ask them to forward to you the Service / Warranty information on their system,

or do that with the Dealership or call in to them or any Skoda Dealership and ask them to call up the information held and print it out.

My Fabia service is due the first week of March and my local supplying dealer has quoted £189 which I'm going to refuse. A dealer not too far away has quoted £115 and my wife has been quoted £89 for the first service on her Citigo at another dealer further away.

I think my local dealer is being greedy.

Edited by RickW

Did you ask why the are charging that and what they will be doing and supplying in the way of parts.

Are you on Fixed Servicing then, so a Minor Service 9,400 miles / 372 days (or Variable servicing) and how many miles has the car covered since last March.

3 minutes ago, Offski said:

Did you ask why the are charging that and what they will be doing and supplying in the way of parts.

Are you on Fixed Servicing then, so a Minor Service 9,400 miles / 372 days (or Variable servicing) and how many miles has the car covered since last March.

They told me it's what they charge,that's all. It's a minor fixed service and the car will have done 8000mls approx.

Edited by RickW
  • Like 1

My car is due its first service soon, I was told I got 2 free services with the car. I rang up and queried it a few weeks ago for them to confirm and they said i get my first (minor) and second (major) services for free. So I should only have to pay for the 3rd (30,000 miles) service which hopefully will only be a minor, if I take the car back early which is what I'm planning on doing, but I'll be over mileage so ill get charged around £230 for that. They might waiver it if i sign up to another skoda

Edited by Jeffchiz
  • Like 1

The one hold we may have over them is repeat custom from ourselves and recommending family and friends to buy a Skoda.

11 hours ago, Offski said:

PS

Dealer said:

"we always use the long-life oil (5w30 fully synthetic) on all of our services as it 
Is the best oil for the cars. However we set the service interval to whatever service was carried out as the items checked & filters replaced on fixed servicing and variable serving are slightly different. We would of carried out the 1st fixed service
on your car, did you not get a print out of the online service record?

We can not offer a service plan on variable servicing as this is normally used by drivers doing more than 10k miles in a year"

Filters checked are different, the pollen should be changed each 2 years. But no guarantee a Air filter gets changed that they are quoting then charging if changed or not.

If a car on flexible servicing was not in for 2 years for its first service it would be getting a pollen filter but not an Air Filter maybe, 

or maybe it will get checked and changed.

Dealership running Demonstrators & doing an oil & filter change and maybe nothing else after 3,000 or so miles or 3 months 

have a cheek counting that as a first service leaving the new owner paying for an expensive 2nd service sooner than needed 

if counted from the one they did.

(only money, but money to them, extra money.)

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Filters checked are different, the pollen should be changed each 2 years. But no guarantee a Air filter gets changed that they are quoting then charging if changed or not.

If a car on flexible servicing was not in for 2 years for its first service it would be getting a pollen filter but not an Air Filter maybe, 

or maybe it will get checked and changed.

Dealership running Demonstrators & doing an oil & filter change and maybe nothing else after 3,000 or so miles or 3 months 

have a cheek counting that as a first service leaving the new owner paying for an expensive 2nd service sooner than needed 

if counted from the one they did.

(only money, but money to them, extra money.)

Yeah it's a real cheek and a hassle. I wish they had just left it without a service. They are offering me a package for 2 services, a major and minor for £279. The major will be at 14500 miles and the next minor 24500 I suppose.

So simply have the first service at 1 years old as per service schedual/guidelines for a Fixed Service.  9.400 miles / 372 days.

Ignoring what they show as having done at 4,500 miles because you can never trust it was done. (with some of Scotland's biggest car groups you can not.)

So pay for a minor service at 1 year and tell them to set on Variable servicing and then the next service is after another 18,500 miles / 2 years, 

which ever comes first.

(Because that actually will be Service Schedule / Guidelines followed as per Skoda Manufacturers warranty requires.)

I can see maybe what dealers selling newish cars at big prices are trying to be seen to be doing, for instance, I bought a used Audi S4 with very low mileage at 2 years 4 months old, it was and still is on variable servicing though I change the oil at the "inbetween year" points. It got serviced (proper service) at the 2 year point, traded in 2 months later having run a further 500 miles, and when I bought it 2 months later it was given another oil change as it was an "approved used car" - so Audi squak and snarl about it being overdue at its "birthday" and I go "F---- off" it says its due in a few months time. I think that they agree with me over oil change times, but think that they MUST have the car in to carry out other essential jobs that MUST be done at the correct time, like pollen filter?! It is just the way to do things, a used car with a full service history is just that, chances are it will change hands between services, why not just leave it at that and the services due times/miles can carry on as they have from day 1 ?

The weak point in my logic:- well I tend to get Audi to MOT it and it comes complete with £750 spend protection, so maybe I'm paying for something that I can't use due to my indolent approach to servicing the dealer way!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently waiting for a callback from the business manager at my local supplying dealer,with regard to my Fabia's first fixed service,and getting a decent deal.

The service desk has quoted £186 when the Skoda UK website says £149.

Got some nonsense about 'overheads','franchise','matrix' etc.

If I'm prepared to drive 20 miles to another Skoda dealer I'll get charged £115 for the same.

My wife's Citigo is due for it's first service too,same dealer supplied.

Does the small print at the bottom of the site that says £149 not say,  Over 3 years old, 'At Participating Dealerships' etc.

The one quoting £186 is participating on a rip off considering the 'parts that will be supplied / use' and the time taken / hourly rate.

A VW or Audi, even a SEAT Dealership can service your car, and maybe worth checking their prices on servicing if part of a different Motor Group.

5 hours ago, Offski said:

Does the small print at the bottom of the site that says £149 not say,  Over 3 years old, 'At Participating Dealerships' etc.

The one quoting £186 is participating on a rip off considering the 'parts that will be supplied / use' and the time taken / hourly rate.

A VW or Audi, even a SEAT Dealership can service your car, and maybe worth checking their prices on servicing if part of a different Motor Group.

Yes,some dealerships don't 'participate',which is my dealer who.as far as I can tell.are the most expensive in the country for a first fixed price service at £186.

I learned about 'participation' from Skoda UK who said it's something they can't change. The operator put me through to the business manager who agreed to do it for £149 via the service desk.

Still a lot though.