Winter tyre choices- again!

Just exchanged the old Fabia II scout 1.6 tdi for a new Fabia III 1.2 tsi (110) and was disappointed to realise that my current set of winter tyres (205/45 R16) from the scout won't fit onto the new car as they've changed the tyre width on the newer version of the Fabia - grrrh. 

So.......I'm thinking of calling Skoda Parts tomorrow to consider their steel/w/tyre option ( http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia---roomster-winter-tyres-and-steel-wheels-49972 ) which I'm guessing are 15" steels and some fairly reasonable tyre brand (possibly sized 205/50?), although I've wondered not just about the cost (£600), but any extras possibly needed (different wheel bolts?).

Or....simply ordering a set of Continental Contiwintercontact TS 850s from Tyremen (https://www.tyremen.co.uk/tyres/21545r16-continental-contiwintercontact-ts-850-90v-xl) costing £511 for a set of 4 tyres which I can just change x2 a year for approx £60x2 a year (current charges locally)

Being impatient and not wanting to wait until tomorrow to call Skoda, does anyone know what the likely tyre sizes of the Skoda parts combination will be, in order that I can think ahead, work out the price differentials between 15" winter tyres vs 16" winter tyres for future projected costs?

I'm assuming 15 " tyres will be generally cheaper than 16", regarding like-for-like brands, if/when i come to replace the Skoda parts tyres.

Sorry that's all a bit confusing, but you know what it's like when you're faced with lots of uncertainties and you're brains become addled from too much online research! :sweat:

Any other advice or hearing anecdotal experiences would be welcome too.  Just to confirm, where we live we do need winter tyres so I've discounted all-seasons from the also complex equation of possibilities.

You could save yourself some cash and buy them from here.

Or if you're going to fit the wrong sized tyres then have a word with your insurers first to make sure they're okay with it. Nowt worse than having a bump and the assessor finding incorrect tyres on the car. Probably best to tell them when you swap to winters/back to summers anyway, just so they can't be picky.

Edited by Rustynuts

The 205/45 R 16 tyres you have will do perfectly well. 

Yes you're right, I'm sure they will, although I've noticed how 45 aspect ratio tyres have a much more limited choice regarding manufacturers and winter tyre models.  There's no options from Vredestein for example which, after 20 years of using winters, is my much preferred winter tyre manufacturer (their summer tyres I would avoid however!) for the Yeti. 

The owners manual gives tyre sizes and recommended winter size (or tyre that can be fitted with chains.)

As to 'correct tyre sizes', Skoda CZ did not Type Approve the All New third generation since the Mk2 FL Fabia in 2010.,

They have changed tyre sizes and you can get 215 wide as standard or option but the size as used on the Mk2 is also as the Type Approval shows.

You could save yourself some cash and buy them from here.

Or if you're going to fit the wrong sized tyres then have a word with your insurers first to make sure they're okay with it. Nowt worse than having a bump and the assessor finding incorrect tyres on the car. Probably best to tell them when you swap to winters/back to summers anyway, just so they can't be picky.

Thanks for that link.  Actually, I'm planning to fit the correct sized tyres/wheels, and always will, as there are a range of manufacturer approved wheel sizes that we are all able utilize safely for our vehicles  Buying Skoda parts from Skoda is probably a safe bet.   Good point to always check with your insurers, and over the years all of mine have been fine, especially after the winter tyres debacle that was in the Press a few winters ago ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/9044863/Will-winter-tyres-increase-my-insurance-premium.html ).

The owners manual gives tyre sizes and recommended winter size (or tyre that can be fitted with chains.)

As to 'correct tyre sizes', Skoda CZ did not Type Approve the All New third generation since the Mk2 FL Fabia in 2010.,

They have changed tyre sizes and you can get 215 wide as standard or option but the size as used on the Mk2 is also as the Type Approval shows.

That's really interesting.  So, are you thinking that my 'old' 205/45 r16 winters, currently laying idle in the garage, might be fine on the Fabia III, providing I can source some wheels to fit them (presumably the new wheels will be too wide) ?

Edited by Ooopnorth

The offset between the Mk2 and Mk3 is different. You might get away with it, but technically the wheels wouldn't be an approved size. I found this out when we sold our F2 and bought the F3. I bought just the wheels from Rainworth Skoda who were a lot cheaper than the standard Skoda dealer prices. Then I got event tyres to come and fit the tyres.

Oh, and the owners handbook has a list of approved wheels and tyres for your F3.

Edited by lowedb

Was there not a link to the UK car insurer's association (or something like that) in this forum but another area, giving a heads up on "who asks for what" in regard to using winter tyres in winter etc.  I think based on what I read, I have given up on contacting Admiral about each time I change the tyres/wheels on two of my cars - I may live to regret that! 

On the subject of needing different wheel bolts, I've forgotten if an answer was given, if not, the answer is that current wheel bolts will be okay if VAG alloys or steels are used - and other's steels as well!

Edit:- Oh, maybe there was not a bolt question, my mistake!

Edited by rum4mo

Was there not a link to the UK car insurer's association (or something like that) in this forum but another area, giving a heads up on "who asks for what" in regard to using winter tyres in winter etc.  I think based on what I read, I have given up on contacting Admiral about each time I change the tyres/wheels on two of my cars - I may live to regret that! 

This one?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221007-abi-list-of-insurers-regarding-winter-tyres/

Direct link to the list:

ABI - Winter tyres

All but one company have seen sense and no longer require notifying. 

• Like 1

On the subject of needing different wheel bolts, I've forgotten if an answer was given, if not, the answer is that current wheel bolts will be okay if VAG alloys or steels are used - and other's steels as well!

Edit:- Oh, maybe there was not a bolt question, my mistake!

It was also a bolt question rum4mo, so many thanks for answering it and being able to decipher my ineptly written compound questions! 

I've checked with my insurers several times before over the years and now don't worry to inform them as they were always complete sanguine and it has never been an issue - and they have been three or four different ones (AA, M&S, John Lewis, etc.).  For example, when I had a little contretemps with a couple of sheep, on a snowy moorland night,  three years ago, causing quite an expensive repair with the Yeti, which was running on Skoda supplied Spectrum Alloys (not standard supply for the Elegance at that time) and winter tyres, there wasn't a peep or should I say bleat from them about any modifications/changes etc. (the insurers that is not the sheep :notme: ).  Maybe it's because I tend to avoid 'budget' insurance companies, that they tend to be very civil, efficient and overall just plain sensible.

This one?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/221007-abi-list-of-insurers-regarding-winter-tyres/

Direct link to the list:

ABI - Winter tyres

All but one company have seen sense and no longer require notifying. 

That's the one Gizmo, I recall reading it on the Yeti forum too.