Daughter's car

Defenderben

Daughter is looking for a car to replace her 62 plate Corsa.

Looking at 2016 (16 & 66)plates, not new @ approx £11500

Her final Shortlist after driving; Fiesta, Pug 208, Hyundai I20, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris and the two below is:

1) VW Polo 1.2 Match 2) Honda Jazz 1.3 SE.

Any thoughts on the final two, what would be your choice (from the two) and why?

1) Get a Fabia for less :)

2) Great reliable car and I love the fact the seats fold flat.

Don't know about the mk3 but the mk2 is really cheap inside, no where near the fit and finish of the polo.

Not driven the modern Jazz but a friend has a 2014 polo and it's lovey, really well built, quiet and really comfy - it's not even that bad on the corners although it is a R line rather than a match.

Isn't the jazz a bit.... old? ;)

Which one is safer?

Edited by gullyg

If she can cope with the old lady image the Jazz will probably be the best motor.

Yet to ever hear a bad word about them from an owner, honda servicing can be expensive if she's planning on using a franchise.

Residuals might be a bit better then the other options too.

• Like 1

Quick question, if she takes a PCP from either VW or Honda, can it be paid off in full a few days later without hassle of having to pay huge penalties.

Reason I ask, is on Carwow the finance/PCP offers are offering a much better discount, like a brand new Polo 1.2TSI Match Edition for £12,173 otr from a rep of £15,090 whereas cash offers are £13,573 but not sure if paying off almost immediately is allowed?

Edited by Defenderben

A friend's got a 2013 1.2 (105bhp?) Polo R-line (or something faux sporty?). I've not spent much time in it, but I was very impressed with the ride/build/refinement. Seemed to move nicely enough for what it was too. I was considering a Polo GTI off the back of hers to replace my 3 series, but the lack of cruise control on most of them killed it for me. (And then I went down the first house route, instead of a new car.)

If it were me - I'd put the money towards a house deposit though. :) I wish I'd done that rather than spend roughly that amount on my E30. Not what you asked, I know, but another school for thought?

^^^ She already has the house sorted. The car is essential for work and being a couple hundred miles away from me and the wife she needs uber reliable transportation. She is regularly on the motorways, all over the Midlands etc.

Fabia is a total No no, she doesn't like it's looks at all.

My daughter loves her Hyundai 120i

Does the business ,motorway commute and country / urban stuff. 2years old never missed a beat and good dealer support /service.

Ben, is Citigo / VW Up not considered then.

Edited by vrskeith

Quick question, if she takes a PCP from either VW or Honda, can it be paid off in full a few days later without hassle of having to pay huge penalties.

Reason I ask, is on Carwow the finance/PCP offers are offering a much better discount, like a brand new Polo 1.2TSI Match Edition for £12,173 otr from a rep of £15,090 whereas cash offers are £13,573 but not sure if paying off almost immediately is allowed?

Check the t&cs but I'm pretty sure there was a change in the law to force finance companies to only charge the interest for the time they've lent you the money not the contract length.

A friend bought a Passat on finance to get a better deal and some servicing offer - paid it off a week later without issue.

I feel my Polo is on another level build-wise, particularly in terms of the materials used in the cabin. Feels like a class-above car.

I would however go down the Fabia route if they did a vRS now. Can't fault the general build-quality on the last 2 Skodas I've owned.

Can't comment on the Jazz other than observing that I've only seen geriatrics driving them, and did briefly look into one for SWMBO before deciding they were just too expensive for what is basically a super-mini,