Pumpkin Android Reverse Camera Octavia FL

I've just bought an amazing 8" Pumkin Android Head Unit. It's so good but that's another thread.

My question is about the reverse camera that came with it. It looks simple enough to fit onto the car. It's not the best looking and quite big but I'm all spent out from buying the unit so this camera will do until I can get the boot realease mounted one.

I have a few ideas of how to route the cable but I'm checking what and if anyone else has routed theirs? I

understand that it needs to go through the rubber boot/grommet at the top but how do I get it into the boot lid from outside the car itself? The only way I can see is the number plate illumination lights but it will compromise the seal.

Camera (2) within the link.

Pumpkin LED Night Vision Wide Viewing Angle Car Rear View Reverse/Parking Reversing Backup Camera Waterproof Shockproof with Free 6m AV Video Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WLGWNAG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6ZrHybSP5YJ90

I'll cut off the excess from both side to make it a little more discreet.

Edited by DIESELind

Not sure i follow you. Is your issue with routing the cables or mounting the camera itself?

The video and power cables should be routed behind the glove box, under the left side sill trim, up the lh C pillar to the roof and out the boot grommet.

Remove the tailgate trim, and feed the cables through to the boot light area.

I've actually told you all of the above in reverse, so start from the boot end and work forwards. Best to temporarily unseat the grommet to aid getting the cables through, too. Beware of damaging the cables as you pull them through too!

You can't, at least not without drilling holes.

You are better off with a boot handle camera if you want an unmolested tailgate. Can't remember where I bought mine from, though.

I've decided against drilling and bodging. 

Im just going to have to wait a week or so and just do it properly. 

Im looking at this camera. 

LIEBMAYA 170 degree Car Trunk Handle Backup Camera Rear View HD Camera parking camera for Audi A4 A5 S5 Q5 for VW Passat Tiguan Golf Passat Touran Jetta Sharan Touareg https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G3134FC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_mQMHybPXRWSKN

Please see attached photo for the list of cars it fits. 

anyone know if the handles are the same as an Octy FL? I would imagine they are but I would like to know for sure. 

IMG_8841.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

I've run the wires through the boot gator and into the car which wasn't too difficult. 

I've just got to run the cable through the headlining and into the head unit now. 

Probably an hour or two job by the time I run the external mic that I need to connect up too. 

IMG_8938.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi, i've just bought the same camera to connect up to my Xtrons head unit.  Just wondering; did you take the camera feeds from the reverse light or boot light? Think i'm going to go for the latter and reading several posts from people on here who have already done it.

Also, did you connect the little red tag wire that's joined to the RCA cable into the back of your head unit? 

Thanks

I had a canbus adapter with my head unit so that automatically turns the camera on. 

The power feed also comes from the canbus adapter. It's only live when the vehicle is in reverse. 

I think if I didn't have the canbus adapter I would take it from the reverse light because it will only be live when the vehicle is in reverse aposed to always live. 

I got as far as i can get with it tonight, lashing rain wasn't helping the job!

Anyway i managed to get it hooked up as much to do a test with it to check the camera and it worked perfectly :) Fed off the boot light and have run the RCA lead into the back of the head unit, i didn't connect the red trigger wire but it appears i don't need to, must be the canbus doing its job?!

Engine running, select reverse and the camera comes on, out of reverse and is back to the radio. i'll wait till the weekend to route it in properly but so far so good. 

Out of interest, if you save radio presets do they stay tuned into your head unit? Mine don't for some reason.

On 3/22/2017 at 21:12, DIESELind said:

I had a canbus adapter with my head unit so that automatically turns the camera on. 

The power feed also comes from the canbus adapter. It's only live when the vehicle is in reverse. 

I think if I didn't have the canbus adapter I would take it from the reverse light because it will only be live when the vehicle is in reverse aposed to always live. 

Did you take your feed from the rear interior boot light? I have run into problems when doing that, for some reason when i close the boot the picture goes blank on the screen, also when i lock the car the boot lights start flashing!

I know i have a different HU but these Chinese aftermarket ones are all fairly similar.  I've run the RCA cable from the back of the HU and connected to the camera, the power + & - are spliced into the boot light + & -.

Also did you have any issues with the connection for the multiplug on the boot latch, the prongs on the aftermarket latch are much wider!

Sorry for the late reply. 

I took the feed from the head unit. It comes from the canbus so it's only live when reverse is engaged. 

You have wired yours to the boot light. 

The boot light is only only live when the boot is open, hence the camera receiving no power when the boot lid is closed. 

You need to wire it to the reverse light because that is always live when the reverse gear is engaged. That will definitely solve your problem. 

1 hour ago, DIESELind said:

Sorry for the late reply. 

I took the feed from the head unit. It comes from the canbus so it's only live when reverse is engaged. 

You have wired yours to the boot light. 

The boot light is only only live when the boot is open, hence the camera receiving no power when the boot lid is closed. 

You need to wire it to the reverse light because that is always live when the reverse gear is engaged. That will definitely solve your problem. 

No worries,

The solution was staring at me all the time but i just couldn't see it! Like you I've wired it to the head unit and the canbus sorts it when its in reverse.