New company car - 1.6tdi SE Tech DSG or 1.6tdi SE L Greenline

Hi folks,

Thanks for an excellent site an I have learned a lot already!

My company car is up for renewal and I really fancy a Superb hatch.  Our lease policy only allows the 1.6 tdi engine so the 2.0 is not an option for me.  I would really welcome views on whether you would go for the SE Tech DSG with a few options or the S L Exec Greenline.  I love the idea of the Xenons and the Columbus infotainment system, but having driven an Octavia 1.6tdi DSG lately that really appeals too.  I have a few concerns about reports of the tall gearing of the Greenline, but I am not a fast driver so not sure how much that will bother me in reality.  I ride my motorbikes if I need to go faster!

So what will it be... DSG or higher spec? ;)

Thanks,

Digby

Thanks for the replies.  Yes the Greenline has a lower BIK for tax purposes but as the list price is higher for the SE L Exec both are coming out within a few £££s per month.  I just need to decide whether the higher spec Greenline would be better for me than the "lower spec" with DSG.  I would like the Xenon lights and Columbus, for example, but they would be too expensive on our lease scheme to spec as extras on the SE Tech.

I know this is mainly about personal preference, but good to get the knowledge from those who have made the decision or know the car a lot better than I do!  As mentioned, I am not a fast driver and I am sure either would be ok. My miles are anything from pottering to my local office, dual carriageway and motorway trips to meetings and at least one or two road trips per year to Germany / Austria.

Many thanks,

Digby :)

8 hours ago, Q102 said:

If you spend most of your time in traffic, then DSG.

If you spend most of your time in traffic surely you should not be buying any diesel. All have DPF's which are best suited to long motorway type trips. My experience over about 20 years of diesels is they are not economical in town.

For town use the 1.4 TSi is perfect plus with its lower purchase price the BIK is probably lower than a diesel.

• Like 2

As mentioned, I am not buying it and the choice is the 1.6tdi only as these are the models available from our lease scheme. If I had free choice I would go for a bigger engine or petrol, but as it is I have to choose between 1.6tdi models.  I can also have the Greenline SE Tech and sprinkle a few (cheap) extras in there.  Our scheme includes a contribution from the driver, and as most of the cost of extras is met by the driver it works out better to get a model that already has the spec you want.

All a bit tiresome but still not a bad deal.

Digby

Edited by Digby73

If it was me.... i would go for the Greenline SEL and also add front parking sensors.

Go for the highest spec car for the inside. To get the most out of the 1.6tdi, in my opinion a manual box would be my preferred option

On 1/22/2017 at 21:47, Digby73 said:

Hi folks,

Thanks for an excellent site an I have learned a lot already!

My company car is up for renewal and I really fancy a Superb hatch.  Our lease policy only allows the 1.6 tdi engine so the 2.0 is not an option for me.  I would really welcome views on whether you would go for the SE Tech DSG with a few options or the S L Exec Greenline.  I love the idea of the Xenons and the Columbus infotainment system, but having driven an Octavia 1.6tdi DSG lately that really appeals too.  I have a few concerns about reports of the tall gearing of the Greenline, but I am not a fast driver so not sure how much that will bother me in reality.  I ride my motorbikes if I need to go faster!

So what will it be... DSG or higher spec? ;)

Thanks,

Digby

Hi Digby

I have the SE L Exec Greenline as a company car and have just done the first 1500 miles. I can't comment on the SE Tech DSG but can say that the car has so far exceeded expectations. I don't think I'll visiting a bmw or audi garage for my next few cars if they keep getting it so right.

Previous cars were Alpha Romeo GT, 320 efficient dynamics, 1.6 tdi A3 Sportback. The Superb has pleased me more than all of these in every way so far.

The Columbus is one of the main reasons, simple and brilliant at the same time. I assume this is based on years of feeback and improvements and I'm so pleased to benefit from that. The larger screen upgrade on this spec is worth it imo, I spend plenty of time in the car - yet to try the dvd!

The tall gearing I haven't noticed, like you I drive easy, but I'm ok with such gearing from previous cars. I have had to adjust my gear selection a little from what I'm familiar with but given that my last three business trips (Wiltshire to London / Oxford / Exeter) all average 65mpg I can live with it!

Went for the alcantara, canton speakers, keyless, isofix in front, wiper on back window (free option) and some after market official rubber mats. These aside I think the spec is the best car I've had to date in every aspect. Best bits being the dash which is stunning, adaptive cruise, cavernous rear seats and boot, columbus and the optional speakers. I put some effort into my music files and the columbus handles and displays things so much better than competitors. If i had to pick something over my previous cars it would be the steering wheel, its nice but not as cosy to grip as the SLine on my sportback and its a little chilly to hold initially on these winter mornings. Also, I chose eco settings for everything but then realised I needed to go in the air con settings and up the fan speed a bit to avoid moisture build up on the cold mornings, that said its a pleasure to explore the menus on the columbus! 

If you have any specific questions do say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bambin0 said:

Hi Digby

I have the SE L Exec Greenline as a company car and have just done the first 1500 miles. I can't comment on the SE Tech DSG but can say that the car has so far exceeded expectations. I don't think I'll visiting a bmw or audi garage for my next few cars if they keep getting it so right.

Previous cars were Alpha Romeo GT, 320 efficient dynamics, 1.6 tdi A3 Sportback. The Superb has pleased me more than all of these in every way so far.

The Columbus is one of the main reasons, simple and brilliant at the same time. I assume this is based on years of feeback and improvements and I'm so pleased to benefit from that. The larger screen upgrade on this spec is worth it imo, I spend plenty of time in the car - yet to try the dvd!

The tall gearing I haven't noticed, like you I drive easy, but I'm ok with such gearing from previous cars. I have had to adjust my gear selection a little from what I'm familiar with but given that my last three business trips (Wiltshire to London / Oxford / Exeter) all average 65mpg I can live with it!

Went for the alcantara, canton speakers, keyless, isofix in front, wiper on back window (free option) and some after market official rubber mats. These aside I think the spec is the best car I've had to date in every aspect. Best bits being the dash which is stunning, adaptive cruise, cavernous rear seats and boot, columbus and the optional speakers. I put some effort into my music files and the columbus handles and displays things so much better than competitors. If i had to pick something over my previous cars it would be the steering wheel, its nice but not as cosy to grip as the SLine on my sportback and its a little chilly to hold initially on these winter mornings. Also, I chose eco settings for everything but then realised I needed to go in the air con settings and up the fan speed a bit to avoid moisture build up on the cold mornings, that said its a pleasure to explore the menus on the columbus! 

If you have any specific questions do say.

Thank you so much for such a detailed response. That is really kind of you and makes me feel less nervous about the 1.6tdi engine and reassured on the spec of the SE L Executive. The fuel economy seems great and roughly what I achieve from my current car, a 2012 2.0tdi Golf Bluemotion.  I do quite a lot of main road trips and drive across Europe a few times per year and it all makes a difference.

Kind regards,

Digby

I took a drop in spec from my previous skoda's to get the DSG (1.6) so glad I did as it surpasses any other option I would like on a company car, just a bit nervous that I ever have to return to a manual box.