Oil sensor warning and auto-dim rear view mirror faults

hlankine

Hello all!

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything that addresses these issues.

I have a 2010 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti with auto wipers, auto lights and auto dim mirrors. Last week I was driving to work and all of a sudden I smelled a strong smell of burnt electronics inside the cabin. After leaving work and starting the car I got the "OIL SENSOR WORKSHOP!" -warning with flashing orange oil can light. So the oil sensor has to be changed. I know where and how the sensor is changed, but don't know what part it is exactly.

Yesterday I was driving on the motorway in the dark, and I noticed the auto-dim rear view and side mirror wasn't dimming. The small green led won't light up even with the press of the switch on the bottom of the mirror.

So my problem (and question) is in two parts:

- What is the oil sensor part number? Is it same with all 1.2 TSI engines across all VAG cars?

- What could be the connection between the oil sensor and auto-dim and how to go forward on fixing it?

Any help appreciated!

-Henri

Start with battery voltage, even though when running it should be sufficient, it just maybe voltage fluctuations.

How old is the battery?.

Then proceed

What makes you think that "OIL SENSOR WORKSHOP!" light means that the oil sensor has failed?
If the oil light has also come on I'd think that there is something wrong with the oil or lubrication system.

The dipping mirror is on fuse 21, are these below operating normally?

Fuse 21 - WIV, tail lamp, dimming mirror, pressure sensor, telephone preparation, air mass sensor, control unit for headlight range control and headlight tilt.

Hi and thanks for the replies!

The battery is rather new and in good condition, so I don't think that is the problem.

I read on the user's manual that the warning the car gives on startup (orange oil can flashes several times and gives the warning "OIL SENSOR...") means that the sensor is bad and should be replaced. To be honest, when I took off the bottom shield to look up the part code (Hella 03C 907 660M 6PR 009 629-05), nothing seemed burned or failed... The failure doesn't seem to be all that critical, my local Skoda dealer was not worried, and said the sensor could be changed at the next oil change. Therefore I'm not too worried about the lubrication system yet.

However, I looked up the same fuse (nr. 21) and saw it had tripped. Changed it and saw just in time the green light of the auto-dim mirror come on until I got the magic smoke again. It comes from the vents even with the blower off. I've only noticed the auto-dim mirror to not work. I'm not quite sure how to check the others. Which tail lamp? Telephone? Bluetooth works just fine. Now that I know which fuse trips I need to troubleshoot the wiring. For this I need some advice. Where to start etc.?

Do you guys know which fuse is behind the oil sensor?