Reliable cheap auto under £5k?

gadgetman

Any good recommendations for a good cheap auto under £5k?

Something Mondeo/Octavia sized, auto, hatch or estate either with toys or sporty and something not too old. 

Would be used mainly at weekends only so not too fussed on petrol or diesel. 

Best bet a Mondeo? 

2 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Any good recommendations for a good cheap auto under £5k?

Something Mondeo/Octavia sized, auto, hatch or estate either with toys or sporty and something not too old. 

Would be used mainly at weekends only so not too fussed on petrol or diesel. 

Best bet a Mondeo? 

Or how about a Jag, X or s Type as a left field thought.  Had a S Type for a year with the 2.5 Ford Duratec and ZF 6 speed gearbox.

I would say a Mondeo. I had the a Mk3 2.2 diesel estate for 10 years, other than consumables and drop links no problem at all in 120k miles and still miss it now. It was really good on fuel too averaging around 46mpg and a touch over 60mpg fully loaded on the run down to Spain. I sold it to a mate rather than trade it in and it's still faultless for him.

If you can find one of the last Mk3 with low mileage I would go that over a Mk4 as they were a better drive. Can't comment on the auto box on a mk3 as I'd not driven one. The Mk4 I recently test drove wasn't as nice as the VAG DSG. Just as smooth but approaching roundabouts it tended to stay in gear even though you eased off on the pedal and only changed down when you were exiting which seemed delayed. Could have been the test route I was but not sure.

8 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Not really a Jag fan

The X type is a Mondeo Chassis and mondeo running gear, S type a US-UK hybrid with Ford switchgear and the V6 petrol the ford unit just with a Jag body.

How about some of the Saabs?  Cheap as chips but GM underpinnings? 

9 hours ago, CWARD said:

I would say a Mondeo. I had the a Mk3 2.2 diesel estate for 10 years, other than consumables and drop links no problem at all in 120k miles and still miss it now. It was really good on fuel too averaging around 46mpg and a touch over 60mpg fully loaded on the run down to Spain. I sold it to a mate rather than trade it in and it's still faultless for him.

If you can find one of the last Mk3 with low mileage I would go that over a Mk4 as they were a better drive. Can't comment on the auto box on a mk3 as I'd not driven one. The Mk4 I recently test drove wasn't as nice as the VAG DSG. Just as smooth but approaching roundabouts it tended to stay in gear even though you eased off on the pedal and only changed down when you were exiting which seemed delayed. Could have been the test route I was but not sure.

Had a MK3 as a company car and it was awful. Drove like a barge. Much preferred the MK 4.

Isn't the Mondeo fitted with the powershift gearbox? I've heard they're a bit problematic but that could be down to lack of maintenance (they require a gear oil change like a DSG).

What about an Octavia 1.9/2.0 DSG?

In elegance spec you'll get a decent amount of toys. There's even an L&K within your budget with 64k miles:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611099615035?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=5000&transmission=Automatic&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-desc&model=OCTAVIA&make=SKODA&postcode=yo243ej&radius=1500&page=1

Or a Facelift (2009) 1.9:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201603141959164?sort=price-desc&postcode=yo243ej&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=5000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&make=SKODA&radius=1500&model=OCTAVIA&transmission=Automatic&page=1

Don't be put off by the seemingly measly 105bhp on the 1.9. It perfectly capable with decent torque. I've had no problem cruising at 100mph on the Autobahn and even did a couple of laps of the ring. Plus it's very economical. My best was York to Dover, Dunkirk to Dusseldorf then Dusseldor to The Mosel 677 miles on one tank before filling.

• Like 1

If you want to head over the Vauxhall side.. Vectra is a reasonable size and reliable car for the age!

From ownership and reading the groups the most reliable engines:

Petrol: 1.8VVT (2006+) or 2.0 (2006+)

Diesel: 1.9 150 (2006+) or 2.0 DTI (2006+)

:P

And if we're going along the lines of a Vauxhall vectra... don't forget about the Saab 9-3. It is based on the same platform as the Vectra.

Also available with the TTiD twin turbo 180bhp 1.9. It is more reliable than the TiD 150 with a redesigned EGR and swirl flaps etc.

The auto box is lovely and still economical:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701091136334?make=SAAB&radius=1500&price-to=5000&sort=price-desc&price-from=3500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&transmission=Automatic&postcode=yo243ej&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Or a bit more space with an estate (SportWagon):

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701091145972?advertising-location=at_cars&make=SAAB&radius=1500&postcode=yo243ej&sort=price-desc&transmission=Automatic&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-from=3500&price-to=5000&page=1

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Lancer DiD 2008-2010 with the 2.0 VW diesel in it? I mean the saloon hot the crapback 

used-110-full-5162.jpg

I do like that, but i got too used the big lift back boot in the Octy.. cant be doing with little tiny saloon boot openings...

• Like 2

Bought a 2001 Subaru Forester S Turbo Auto a while back.  Just such a good do it all vehicle.

Practical, handles well for what it is, definitely goes well too....well its basically an Impreza Turbo on stilts.  Quirky but I love it.

Very robust and they hardly ever break, admittedly expensive when they do.  The GM 4 speed box aint bad, suits the car and doesnt really blunt the performance...not if you shift yourself or use the power button/kickdown.  Its bulletproof too.

Downsides are expensive tax and heavy MPG (late 20's/early 30's on a run...much worse around town)....but the positives for me at least make up for the running costs.

Everything works on mine, heated seats, panoramic roof, Air Con.....has four airbags and ABS so is quite safe too.

If an SF is too old, consider an SG.  The 2.0XT is that bit more modern....the 2.5 not quite as robust but the 230hp version is a proper rocketship!

Edited by pipsypreturnsagain

36 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

I do like that, but i got too used the big lift back boot in the Octy.. cant be doing with little tiny saloon boot openings...

Same here a hatch beats a saloon anyway (in the saloonish shape that is). The MkII Superb took that to a whole new level though! 

• Like 1

I borrowed my dads MK3 Mondeo last week, 2.0 auto. Now dont get me wrong, it goes around corners like the QE2 but it motors up the road far better than I expected. Gearbox is fairly decent, plenty of poke considering it's size, I was expecting it to be a bit under powered but it wasnt too bad at all. 

In all honesty though, I'd be looking at BMWs & Mercs for a nice auto. 

17 hours ago, Lee A said:

Yeses the 9-3 is another good choice having the same base and engines - would be some unique as there are fewer and fewer of them now :(

Although since I've had mine I see loads of them! But probably that you just notice them more.

Last week I saw three 9-3 convertibles within 10 minutes in York. All silver and all facelift model like mine. Weird.

Honestly go and look at a 9-3 if you can. If you go for the Aero model like the ones I posted you get bi-xenons, cruise control, heated seats, dual zone climate, reverse sensors, sat-nav, bluetooth, 7 speakers (with a boot mounted amp- or sometimes a factory optional Bose amp and speakers) and multifunction steering wheel (including gear change buttons).

They drive well, auto gearbox is silky smooth (it's a 6 speed Aisin Warner AF40-6) and the engine is incredibly punchy- there is zero turbo lag (since there's two of them) and it pulls strong right up to the red line. Engine noise is very good- hardly audible while pootling around but when you floor it it's not a loud diesel racket and more of a deep growl.

Fuel economy is good too. Not amazing as it's a fairly big car with a torque converter gearbox but expect 50+ on a run.

Edited by Phil-E

18 hours ago, matt1chelski said:

In all honesty though, I'd be looking at BMWs & Mercs for a nice auto. 

I'd second the latter part of ^ that.

Mercs seem easier to fix up, while Beemers always seem like a convoluted pain in the bum by comparison (except the clutch, for some reason).

2 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

I'd second the latter part of ^ that.

Mercs seem easier to fix up, while Beemers always seem like a convoluted pain in the bum by comparison (except the clutch, for some reason).

I like some of the Merc estates, but don't they suffer rusting? Or is that just the vans? 

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

I like some of the Merc estates, but don't they suffer rusting? Or is that just the vans? 

Lates 90s early 00s were when Merc had the majority of the issues, 2005 onwards I think things vastly improved, although the vans do seem to suffer more than the cars, I suspect thats mainly down to damage getting left without repair on the examples I spot. 

• Like 1