Fabia 2016

eiggol

I have just got my first service,car has done 2642 miles and the dealer tells me my rear discs have scoring and defacing caused by the low mileage the car has done.Anybody else encountered this problem.

Has anybody

Always used to get this cr@p from the dealer - nothing to worry about - they'd flog you new discs and pads annually if they could get away with it. 

I'm on my phone but see you're in Scotchland from your profile - it's not Henry's by any chance?

Edited by Brian69

Our Fabia, when we bought it was 1 yr old and had done just 919 miles, both front and rear discs were rusty and the surfaces were scored, 6 months and 1000 miles later the discs have cleaned up and are now much smoother. It seems to be more common these days on low mileage vehicles - possibly due to the quality/type of steel used or maybe its the brake pad material.

• Like 1

By the time my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110 had gone through its first winter, its rear discs were scored and horrible - that would only have been about 3.5K miles, no comments were made at its first service in August 2016, they remain looking horrible and a lot worse than her previous 2002 VW Polo rear discs did, though they tended to give up due to excessive rusting on the inner surface and eventually the typical reduction of shiny swept outer surface leading to me replacing its rear discs and pads maybe twice over its 13 years 104K life time with us.  I think the discs I fitted (Pagid) looked better for longer than the factory fitted ones.

It is a problem these days on low milage motors.  Vehicle braking is better than its ever been thanks partly to new materials used for disks and pads but the payoff is durability. The longer pads and disks last the least efficient they would be.  Like tyres, the better they grip the road the faster they wear out.

You could partly have your cake and eat it but you would need the type of brake gear as fitted to hi performance vehicles with the associated cost.

My dealer is Parks one of the biggest in Scotland.

Thanks for all the replies it seems that along with the battery problems and the discs low mileage is a curse with modern cars.

Some might not say what 'they are the biggest of',

but taking Skoda Parks of Hamilton as an example they are part of one of Scotland's Biggest Motor Groups 

that seem to have a lots of incompetents employed.  Good at up-selling or trying to, not so good as VFM even with their 'Service Offers'.

(See the Briskoda Dealers section')

• Like 1

Our Fabia iii, now a year old, had rusty disks when we got it as a 3 month old "ex demonstrator".

They clean up with regular hard use.

But it's not garaged, and if it stands for more than a day or two they get quite rusty again, if I potter about in it in town on fairly level ground the brakes don't get enough use to get shiny again.

I suspect half the trouble is the alloy wheels which expose nearly all the disks: my Fabia ii in "S" trim has steel wheels and the (front only) disks on that are no trouble at all. Whether or not the disk material, or even the disks, are the same between Fabia ii and Fabia iii I couldn't say.

How about, thinking out of the box(?), buying a pair of these plastic wheel protectors and using them to hide your "shame" - or buy up the entire stock of these protectors and advertise them as "rusty disc covers"?? Try to remember me if you make a fortune!

Edit:- remember in these modern enlightened times, there is no need to solve problems, just hide them and they might go away.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1