Accessing cameras via coding

spinifex

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

Is it possible to access the vehicles camera (lane-assist or front-assist, where fitted) via coding, VCDS, OBD or any other means?

Any talented programmers able to achieve this?

Reason being - I firmly believe the design rules will change within the next 10 years, to make dash-cams compulsory on new vehicles.
Instead of buying aftermarket cameras, why isn't the feed from OEM cameras accessible via OBD ports?
Or are they?

It would make sense to use the already-available camera for this purpose, and I'm interested to know if anyone has fiddled around with trying to access the signal to export to an external device/card-reader/recording device?

Thoughts?

I doubt it very much. The simple reason is that the OBD port only has a data transfer speed of a few KB/s. Even for low resolution video you need a few hundred KB/s and for HD you need a few thousand KB/s.

Have you seen the new Citroen ConnectedCam?

http://www.t3.com/news/now-you-can-take-a-selfie-while-on-the-road-with-the-new-citro-n-c3

• Like 1

Thanks Phil.

I wasn't aware of the limited bandwidth available via OBD, etc - versus that required by video streams.

I hadn't seen the Citroen though - but will have a read through after work.  Initial glance at the article sounds interesting though.