Sound Actuator

Love em or hate em we all have them (unless you have disconnected yours) I personally like mine but I've noticed that periodically it stops working. I have been back under warranty and the sound actuator has been replaced but wasn't offered an explanation as to why it stopped working. Since the replacement it has been fine up until a few days ago when it stopped again. Has anyone else had this problem or have any knowledge on how to troubleshoot the issue??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

Have you changed modes? In eco mode it either doesn't work or the volume is turned down nice and low. If you're in individual mode, the sound can be switched to eco, even if everything else is set to other modes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2017 at 15:51, Isocrem said:

Have you changed modes? In eco mode it either doesn't work or the volume is turned down nice and low. If you're in individual mode, the sound can be switched to eco, even if everything else is set to other modes.

You can't isolate the sound setting from the engine settings can you? So putting the engine on eco turns off/down the sound generator, but you also have to put up with the dulled throttle response and changes to the gearbox (if DSG).

I'd love to have sport mode but with the sound generator setting from normal, as I find the noise too fake in sport on anything more than part throttle. Wonder if turning it down in vcds will sort this....

15 minutes ago, ahenners said:

You can't isolate the sound setting from the engine settings can you? So putting the engine on eco turns off/down the sound generator, but you also have to put up with the dulled throttle response and changes to the gearbox (if DSG).

I'd love to have sport mode but with the sound generator setting from normal, as I find the noise too fake in sport on anything more than part throttle. Wonder if turning it down in vcds will sort this....

Press the vrs mode button. Select 'Individual' then click on the 'change' button towards the top of the screen. You can select whatever mixture you want and change 'interior engine sound' to eco. This works on my 65 plate, but not sure if this is different to earlier models.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Isocrem said:

Press the vrs mode button. Select 'Individual' then click on the 'change' button towards the top of the screen. You can select whatever mixture you want and change 'interior engine sound' to eco. This works on my 65 plate, but not sure if this is different to earlier models.

I do use individual mode, but I don't think I have an "interior engine sound" option. Mine is a 63 plate with MIB1, so might be a newer/MIB2 change. Jealous that you have that option... ;) 

Just now, ahenners said:

I do use individual mode, but I don't think I have an "interior engine sound" option. Mine is a 63 plate with MIB1, so might be a newer/MIB2 change. Jealous that you have that option... ;) 

Ahh, that's a shame. Every now and then I turn on the sport setting for the sound and it's entertaining for a few minutes, then it's off again :)

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Darrendaly123 said:

Does anyone know is I can turn up the sound generator, as I like the noise it makes only it's not loud enough for my taste..

Even in sport mode? Probably best to get yourself booked in for a hearing test :o

9 hours ago, Darrendaly123 said:

Does anyone know is I can turn up the sound generator, as I like the noise it makes only it's not loud enough for my taste..

You can using VCDS or OBDeleven. With that said, I can’t remember the default settings so it may be at max anyway. There is no ‘11’. 

IIRC the default max volume on my FL 245 was about 70% so theoretically it can be turned up. Not to my taste at 1% however, but each to their own.

vcdss.png

Edited by juan27
add vcds screenshot

Mine is a 2014 vRS 220 and I can’t change the sound generator volume via Columbus. 

Thankfully, I like it. In normal mode the sound is nicely nudged. 

Agree it’s a tad OTT in Sport, but that’s rare for me with the kids / commute etc. 

Do love a sports mode blat using the paddles once in a while though - gets the hairs on the neck standing up, if you guys know what I mean. 

Great all round car!