wheel suitability

tiffie

Hi Folks

I have a 2015 3T4 Superb fitted with 16" wheels, I have been given a set of 18" Zenith alloys from a 2016 Superb 3.

1. Are they a suitable fit to the car without fouling on the bodywork/suspension?

2. If they are suitable, what are the best tyre sizes to fit?

Any information you can provide will be gratefully accepted

Cheers

Welcome to the forum tiffie.

There's lots of info about wheels and tyres on the forum if you search around for it.

Try this for starters:-

I have 18" wheels on my Elegance but they give quite a harsh ride - look great though! I shall fit 225/45 x 18 tyres when the current set of 225/40's is worn a bit more. Hopefully that will improve the ride without affecting the speedo too much.

Dave

When I got my new 2015 Elegance Combi I of course had the standard 18 in wheels/tyres.  It took me 700 miles to change to 16 in + Michelin cross-climates.  My back couldn't thank me enough!  Comfort over looks every time for me, though the perfectionists on here may disagree!

• Like 1

I was nervous about the 18" wheels on our car too before we bought it. 

Turns out we don't find it harsh at all, on New Zealand roads.

So, I think its worth trying them out to see what you think. I'm assuming you have usable tyres on the wheels you were given?

I have standard 18" Sirius on an S II estate and change to 16" winter tyres regularly. The ride is more comfortable because there is more rubber cushioning, but because most 16" wheels have a fairly large ET the wheels sit much more within the wheel arch and that is where the 18" look better. If ET was 10mm less on a 16" the look could compete with the 18" wheels.

Edited by 26DIPP

If you haven't already bought tyres, consider going to 235/45/R18 or 225/50/R18. The extra sidewall height will give you a bit more comfort over the stock 225/40. As regards speedometer error, 235/45 is a stock size for certain Skoda models, and the speedometer can be configured to that size using VCDS. The downside is that it's quite a bit more expensive to buy tyres in that size.