312mm brakes - Pictorial

Tech1e

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't know if this will help anyone. Copied from the official Skoda Workshop manual, Fabia I 2004 vRS:

Just a rough break down of which parts the brakes contain.

front_brakes_01.JPG

1 - Brake disc

the max. wheel run-out is not marked

released combination of a brake disc without marking and a wheel hub with marking

with a fixing hole for the wheel hub

Thickness: 25 mm

Wear limit: 22 mm

always replace axle-wise

for removing, first of all unbolt brake caliper complete from wheel bearing housing

Do not use force to separate the brake discs from the wheel hub, if necessary use rust solvent, as you could otherwise damage the brake discs.

2 - Screw, 4 Nm

3 - Brake disc

with a roughly 5 mm marking for marking the maximum wheel run-out

released combination of a brake disc with marking and a wheel hub without marking

with 5 fixing holes for the wheel hub

Thickness: 25 mm

Wear limit: 25 mm

always replace axle-wise

for removing, first of all unbolt brake caliper complete from wheel bearing housing

Do not use force to separate the brake discs from the wheel hub, if necessary use rust solvent, as you could otherwise damage the brake discs.

4 - Pad retaining plate

always replace when changing the brake pads

brake pads contained in repair kit

fit on before installing brake pads

5 - Brake pads

with wear indicator

– with a corresponding wear (limit: 2 to 3 mm) the warning lamp in the dash panel insert lights up

Thickness: 18,6 mm (including the support plate)

Wear limit: 2.0 mm without supporting plate

Inspect thickness → BookletFabia

always replace axle-wise

do not unscrew the brake hose when replacing the brake pad

removing and installing → Chapter

6 - Brake carrier

is supplied as replacement part assembled with guide pin and protective caps as well as adequate quantity of grease on guide pins

if there is any damage to the protective caps or guide bolts fit a repair set (use the enclosed grease packing to lubricate the guide bolts)

also use grease packing for greasing the slot on the guide pin and brake caliper for attaching the protective cap

7 - Protective cap

contained in repair kit

insert into the slot of the brake carrier and of the guide pin; grease the slot first using grease packing from the repair kit

8 - Guide bolt

contained in repair kit

9 - Heat shield

always replace when changing the brake pads

contained in repair kit

insert into piston

Fitting position: insert plate at heat shield into opening (slot) of the brake caliper

10 - Brake caliper

removing:

– Use brake pedal load

– Unscrew brake hose from brake caliper

– Unbolt brake caliper from brake carrier

Installing:

– Bolt brake caliper onto brake carrier

– Screw the brake hose onto the brake caliper

– Remove brake pedal load

– Bleeding Brake System → Chapter

repairing → Chapter

11 - Screw, 30 Nm

replace after each removal

12 - Tensioning sleeve

13 - Brake hose with supports, hollow screw and gasket rings

must be replaced completely, do not dismantle

Tightening torque: 35 Nm

do not unscrew when replacing the brake pad

14 - Screw, 125 Nm

clean ribbing on underside each time removed

15 - Allan screw, 8 Nm

for speed sensor ABS

16 - Speed sensor ABS

17 - Wheel-bearing housing

18 - Cover plate

19 - Screw, 10 Nm

20 - Wheel hub with wheel bearing

with and without marking of the maximum wheel run-out

one can combine a wheel hub without marking of the maximum wheel run-out with a brake disc with marking of the maximum wheel run-out; the total wheel run-out of the floating caliper disc brake C54-II will not be reduced

for vehicles with ABS the sensor ring is built into the wheel hub

replace after each removal, is destroyed during removal

removing and installing → Chapter

assignment → Spare part catalogue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just out of interest are people doing this as a cosmetic mod on there std 130 bhp fabia vRS's (diesels) or is it a case that people are getting the engines chipped to 170 bhp (ish) and then upgrading the brakes as the car needs more braking power due to the extra power attained from their re-maps?

do the 312mm discs and calipers fit under the std 16" alloys that come with the fabia vRS?

just out of interest are people doing this as a cosmetic mod on there std 130 bhp fabia vRS's (diesels) or is it a case that people are getting the engines chipped to 170 bhp (ish) and then upgrading the brakes as the car needs more braking power due to the extra power attained from their re-maps?

do the 312mm discs and calipers fit under the std 16" alloys that come with the fabia vRS?

As far as I know it's because the standard brakes are lacking slightly under the increased power of a remap.

HTH

lacking slightly !!!!.

if the braking capabilities of the car arn't up to dealing with the power of the upgraded engine, surely this should be recommended as a compulsory modification as insufficient braking power is not only a risk to the driver and passengers but also to other people on the road!

if the braking capabilities of the car arn't up to dealing with the power of the upgraded engine, surely this should be recommended as a compulsory modification as insufficient braking power is not only a risk to the driver and passengers but also to other people on the road!

If you stick around, you'll see that's exactly what the more 'seasoned' members do recommend when asked about power upgrades. :thumbup:

And in answer to your earlier question, although I didn't believe it when this pictorial was first posted (wow, that was a long time ago! :rotz: ), they fit fine under 16"s - that's what I have! :)

If you stick around, you'll see that's exactly what the more 'seasoned' members do recommend when asked about power upgrades. :thumbup:

i'll be around for a while :D,im eye-ing up my first Fabia vRS after driving a corsa for 7 years, now im 25 the insurance has dropped :D so its time for a considerable UPGRADE! im new to BRISKODA but been on car forums for a few years ;)

there are many many MANY threads about 312's versus the standard set up.

Personally i don't think it's "compulsory" that a remap equals the need for bigger brakes but an upgrade of some kind is probably wise. I know a member local to me who is pushing 200BHP and is still on 288's albeit with uprated pads and grooved discs.

I only had my 312's fitted as the kit was a good deal and i needed new pads and discs all round anyways

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tech1e (Lummox :giggle: ) Do you have to use a hosting Website for the pics, as this is a topic that is going to stay, would the Admin lot not allow the extra webspace for some compressed images on Brisky itself?

it is a mighty handy topic B)

• 2 weeks later...