312mm brakes - Pictorial

Tech1e

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay so I've got a mk2 fabai want to upgrade the brakes to bigger ones anyone know what fits cos few people say the 312mm setup doesn't work on mk2 unlike mk1

It does work but depends on the model of the car and it's spec my 2011 Tdi has 256mm front so only option for me would be mk2 vrs hubs and fit the 312mm, if you car has 288mm front discs it a lot easier bolt together in fact

Best options I found for setup was Audi TT mk1 or octavia vrs mk1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A brake pipe clamp I made at college many years ago. Brilliant device used on every pad and disk change on many cars. Must be an official device we just copied. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ross. I must have been doing it wrong all these years. Is the attached clamp still an issue, on brake pipes ?

I just effectively squeeze the pipe somewhere between the caliper union and the connection where it sits on the strut to prevent brake fluid going back into the reservoir and instead out of the bleed nipple when the caliper is pushed in with the wind back tool.

f52b084dd90edbfe19f9a8770c9e97c1.jpg58abf762d97e3c6e56e35a6ec03a5ece.jpg

Edited by gav_is_con

Hi Ross. I must have been doing it wrong all these years. Is the attached clamp still an issue, on brake pipes ?

I just effectively squeeze the pipe somewhere between the caliper union and the connection where it sits on the strut to prevent brake fluid going back into the reservoir and instead out of the bleed nipple when the caliper is pushed in with the wind back tool.

f52b084dd90edbfe19f9a8770c9e97c1.jpg58abf762d97e3c6e56e35a6ec03a5ece.jpg

Yeah, something like that would damage reinforcement

My limited mechanical knowledge has just been shattered. 20 years of brake changes. [emoji23]

What's the correct way to achieve what I want ?

Does anyone know how to clamp the pipes without damaging them and what's the correct way to bleed the brakes afterwards it's a 2011 1.6tdi fabia, I normally use a clamp similar to the one above and when calipers or pads changed I'd use the mate pedal pumper to bleed

Usually I work on much older cars and Landrover

My limited mechanical knowledge has just been shattered. 20 years of brake changes. [emoji23]

What's the correct way to achieve what I want ?

Not all brake hoses are constructed the same, some will be OK this way, just not ours.

The correct way is to plug the end when removing a component to stop fluid loss.

However when i'm doing a brake change such as this I remove the reservoir cap and place a piece of rag/cloth over the opening and refit cap (wedge it on). Install the caliper to the hub and at the last step disconnect the fluid line from the old caliper and swap over to the new caliper, minimal fluid loss.

And then to be honest if just fitting 312mm brake calipers I'll top up the reservoir and just let the new caliper gravity bleed.

This is where there maybe some confusion and misunderstanding. In my own personal experience I only do pad and disk changes. Never removed a caliper or brake pipe. So when winding the caliper back in, is it accepted to let the excess fluid return to the reservoir or fine to clamp the pipe on my cars with rubber hoses?

Last chance to redeem myself Ross. [emoji1]

I do open the bleed nipple and let any excess fluid into an easi bleed container. Rather than the fluid going back to the reservoir it's expelled out into the easi-bleed.

I have read a few posts and supporting information that pushing fluid back into the reservoir can also cause damage to seals etc.

I do emphasise this is only for pad and disk changes.

Edited by gav_is_con