Pros and Cons of Asymmetric tyres

Following on from to decide which tyre make to get for 130 PD Octy , i have seen the term Asymmetric come up a few times , What are the pro/cons for these against ordinary with Rim Protection . Any Recomendations .

Different things entirely.

Rim protection is a bead arounf the tyre just above where it goes into the rim - it helps prevent your alloys getting scuffed when you scrape them down a curb when the wife parks it ;)

Assym refers to the tread pattern. The turn in isn't as good as with directional tyres, but they grip better once commited to the turn.

HTH

This sums it up nicely. I've just replaced the Michelin Pilot Primacies (asymmetric) that came with my Fabia vRS with a set of Toyo Proxes T1-Rs (directional), and I can tell you that the handling is very different indeed. The grip is considerably better on turn-in with the Proxes, to the extent that it almost feels as though the car is oversteering compared to what I was used to. The tyres are also much quieter on poor road surfaces.

One thing I liked about the Primacies was I thought they gave quite a lot of feedback. Although they were quite prone to understeer, it was predictable and easy to control. I've yet to push the Proxes hard enough to prompt understeer, although I can take exits from roundabouts without understeering where at the same speed with the Primacies it was all wheelspin and understeer. I've no experience of the Proxes in the wet, although the Primacies were pretty awful TBH, and I can't imagine they'll be anything other than an improvement.

Of course the big disadvantage of directional tyres is that you've got a 50/50 chance that your spare will be the wrong way round when you get a puncture... :doh:

I've no experience of the Proxes in the wet' date=' although the Primacies were pretty awful TBH, and I can't imagine they'll be anything other than an improvement.

[/quote']

I agree, the Michelin's are lame in the wet.

Asymmetric tyres wont be much use in the snow though.

Thanks for all the positive and informative comments , as is typical of this site . Following on from a previous Thread i have decided to go with Hankook Sport non Assymetric , for my style of driving they appear to fit the bill , Avery good Test report on the mutyres site , for Dry Wet handling and Noise plus Weear , and at