Cheap Handling Mod

To be honest Audi and VW dealers can be a bit off' date=' if the part is for another vehicle. I've always used VAG Parts (01793487700). They are cheaper and post it to your door. They have access to part diagrams of all the VAG range, so you can compare part numbers etc. Ask for Alan.

I've had a search and can't find any poly bushes for the front subframe our chassis. The only ones I could find were for a golf mk3 and they said the bushes might transmit a bit of vibration. Might be better with the two piece from VAG in that case.[/quote']

Could you spell it out for us and save everyone calling Alan with the same request ?

I'd just like to know:

1) What part numbers did you order from VAGParts ?

2) Particularly for the braces for the rear of the front subframe (the #34 £7 parts you mentioned in your first post) - do these bolt straight on with no drilling ?

Si

Des, any chance of some part numbers, the rear bush could be Powerflex could it not? Will look into the bracing piecee as they would complement the S3 lower brace fitted to the front of the subframe.

The bush that is holding the sub-frame onto the car (Octavia part No. IJO 199 429) is the one you need to change for the TT one. Not to be confused with the bush that holds the Wish bone onto the sub-frame (Octavia part No. 1JO 407 181) which can be changed for a Powerflex bush.

In my own humble opinion the TT Lower Braces both front and back ones talked about above are naff and not worth a light as they are to flimsy. Better to go for the Neuspeed lower front brace which bolts onto the sub-frame further forward and manufacture the rear ones. Trade off is the Neuspeed lower front brace will be the lowest part on the car.

Trade off is the Neuspeed lower front brace will be the lowest part on the car.

But good for harvesting road kills, On my last outing, managed to wrap a bit of (already dead) fox wrapped around mine :D

Made a few enquiries looking for poly subframe bushes. Got an email from eurosportacc.com, stating that they will have uprated subfram bushes next month. They are made from a material called Derlin and apparantly make a big difference to the power delivery. The down side is that the may transmit more niose and vibration. Think I'll be staying with the 2 piece VAG bush.

8575.attach

Well the bits have arrived!!! I must say that I'm really impressed. The braces look very strong, being made from steel tubing with an inch diameter. The uprated subframe bushes are about as uprated as they come. The are solid aluminium, with about 1mm rubber coating. That subframe is going nowhere. As promised, here are the part numbers:-

8N7 199 401 - BRACE (X2)

N 019 5024 - BOLTS FOR BRACES (X8)

8N0 199 282C - UPPER BUSH (X2)

8N0 199 282D - LOWER BUSH (X2)

N 907 528 01 - SUBFRAME STRETCH BOLT WITH BIGGER WASHER (X2)

Here are some pics.

8670.attach

8671.attach

8672.attach

8673.attach

Before anyone buys the braces, I've found a pic of the TT Roadster chassis. There's a couple of mounting brackets for these braces which needs looking into. You can see in the pic below. I'll do some digging this week and get some part numbers.

8688.attach

I'm hoping they will fit. All floor pans/subframes look the same. There's two mounting holes on the rear of the subframe, which look like they are for the v shaped bracket. I'll find out more today and keep you informed.

The bushes will fit, so thats the main thing. They offer far more rigidity than the standard 1 piesce rubber bush.

8694.attach

Don't forget you may have to factor in a 4 wheel alignment into this mod as well, you are going to have to drop the subfame and the likelyhood of getting it back bang on in the same place is very remote, had to have this done when I fitted my Front R32 ARB and it was about £45 +Vat:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, been under the car the other day, the S3 brace fits at the front of the Subframe whereas the TT one fits to the rear of the subframe. Not sure of the fitments of the mounting brackets, from the photo that Sabredylan has posted it looks like they mount to a Vee Bracket that bolts to the subframe then to the Floor of the car, will have to investigate this further......will have to wait till my Flu subsides!!!!:(

Well I've been in touch with parts and it appears to be bad news. The V- bracket is a welded piece on the TT subframe and not bolted as I thought. The TT subframe with bracket is £211 + vat. The bracket where the brace connects to the body is also welded to the floor pan. I can feel a bit of fabrication coming on. The car's at Jbs soon, so I'll see what kev can come up with. May end up fitting like the pic in my previous post to just stiffen the subframe itself. If anyone has any ideas please post them up.

• 3 months later...

Yep, welded the braces on and fitted the solid subframe bushes. Makes the front end much more rigid and improves performance of dog bone. Also front end lift feels like its been reduced and there's zero wheel hop, no matter how hard you accelerate.

10139.attach

what was the final cost of all the parts you got?

The braces were about £7 each and the solid bushes were £22 per side. All plus vat. Had the braces welded on in the end and its worked well. I replaced the subframe bolts as well and they are about £5 each.