Cheap Handling Mod

• 5 years later...

Hi all, i have been experiencing power and cornering wheel hop on my 1.9 Octavia tdi, does this sounds symptomatic of these bushes as i have had my suspension checked and there seems to be no issues as most of it is new?

Many thanks

Dave

Holy thread revival! almost 6 years for this one :D

wheel hop should not be a symptom of these bushes but they will help to stiffen things up, how old/mileage are the shocks on the car?

Wobble rather than hop? What about driveshaft balance? A bent drive shaft can cause wobble/hop due to rotational mass. also wheel bearing can cause issues.

are the tread depths on both front tyres the same? if you have esp/traction control different tread depths can cause problems, so they need to be matched accross the front axle on FWD car and Both axles on 4wd car

wheelhop can be reduced by uprating the dog bone mounts, i would start by checking all your bushes and balljoints for wear too.

Superpro dogbone bushs improved wheel hop on my vrs no end altho they are hurrendus for the first 500 mile till they settle down and stop trying to shake car to bits

Tires are both newish and same, as for for dog mount its new, kinda wondering if the engine mounts are dead.

if you turn right with the cluch pressed down i still get the same feeling of wobble/bounce??

what was the out come of this mod? Yes or no? Since Bowders1 hasn't placed a post on here I would imagine not.

If Mark doesn't do it there's no point. ;)

H

what was the out come of this mod? Yes or no? Since Bowders1 hasn't placed a post on here I would imagine not.

If Mark doesn't do it there's no point. ;)

Ha Ha Damian.........like it.

I was biding my time pondering this one.

I can see benefit to this to stop the back end of subframe from moving, so 50/50 on this. May get the bars and do a DIY install, rather go for none welding but drill and bolt using custom holes and bolts etc. So at the cost I may have a go. As my car subframe bushes are the only bushes I have not replaced or upgraded and with my TT set up anything to stop wheel hop and improve turn in is a bonus.

So I guess this is a count me in ..... :thumbup:

TT bushes on the subframe do make a worth while difference to the feel and overall tightness.

I fabricated two support brackets & bolted them in on mine when i did the cast wishbones/R32 farb and the effect is quite profound. As said in earlier posts, it is far more effective than the S3 lower brace!!

I haven't got any photos of it..... Will get some next time I'm under the car!

Steve

Good good. Quick question on the lower brace... where do you drill the mounts. looking at a build thread now and its not quite clear. Also what size drill bit?

The holes for the S3 lower brace are already in subframe if you meant that

+1 :thumbup:

The rear brackets(that are shaped like a V) that are unique the the TT roadster is the mod referred to here and what I will be doing.It will need a custom fitting as the Roadster has these welded.