CV Boot Replacement Fabia VRS

It would appear I either have a split boot (can't see a split at all) or a leak in the seal :eek: . Just changed over to Eibach springs so I guess this may have caused this.

I have a couple of questions. First being.....

How long do I have to repair this before any serious damage is done :confused:

How hard is it to replace, is there a guide on Briskoda? (a search didn't reveal one)

Any idea as to What the part number is?

A friend who is a keen mechanic said this has happend on his car and his partners car and not to worry and that he hadn't replaced the boot and still works fine :confused: Is this right? I know he is a good mechanic but this seems a little strange!

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated :D

Duncan

I had that one go as well. :confused: Is there something about its position which makes it susecptible to road based projectiles which could damage the rubber?

What was it like to repair? Still carrying L plates when it comes to working on cars but worked with my mate to replace the springs and as long as it is not to complicated I don't mind giving in it a go (and doesn't involve looking for a rare bits like a Spline M14 :D nee where sells them around here.... only m12. Buy them online but it didn't help on the day :mad: )

Ta

I've got a set of splines upto M16 now, naffing lower shock bolts. Octavia 2 rear brake caliper carriers are held on by M14 splines aswell.

Messy to replair that for sure. You need to unbolt the three 13mm on the lower balljoint, the 36mm driveshaft nut (must be replaced, torque to 40nm + 90 degrees iirc) and swing the hub out. Cut the clips off the boot and knock the joint off. Fit new boot and clips etc.

I've got a set of splines upto M16 now' date=' naffing lower shock bolts. Octavia 2 rear brake caliper carriers are held on by M14 splines aswell.

Messy to replair that for sure. You need to unbolt the three 13mm on the lower balljoint, the 36mm driveshaft nut (must be replaced, torque to 40nm + 90 degrees iirc) and swing the hub out. Cut the clips off the boot and knock the joint off. Fit new boot and clips etc.[/quote']

I presume the Fabia doesn't use M16 spline bit :eek: M14 was bad enough, investing in one now for the tool kit :thumbup:

When you say ''must be replaced, torque to 40nm + 90 degrees'' got the torque bit but the 90 degrees, could you explain this (new at this :rolleyes: )

And, being a curious type, what would happen if the new driveshaft nuts were not set at 40nm. I now the strut bolts are set to 25 otherwise they will strip the threads :confused:

I think I will give this one a go, already taken break callipers and strut off before so I think this will be worth a shot. Any ideas where is best to get a new boot and drive shaft nuts from (Dealers:confused: ) and does the boot come with the clips :confused:

Thanks for you help.

Duncan

I would say the dealers for the parts. The boot is listed as including assembly items and grease for around £12 plus VAT and the nut around £4.70 plus VAT.

Many torque specifications now include an angular measurment, which is applied using a tool like this - http://www.bennetts.com/tools/handtools?contentId=27061