New Octavia tips and tricks

roo

This is a good one. I've enabled the anti hijack via maxidot with my key but SWMBO's key isn't having any. She's got to open it in the conventional way - two clicks but mine opens all in one go. Any ideas ?

This is a good one. I've enabled the anti hijack via maxidot with my key but SWMBO's key isn't having any. She's got to open it in the conventional way - two clicks but mine opens all in one go. Any ideas ?

Yes - leave it as it was. It is a sensible safety feature. If I am on my own I don't want the other doors and the boot open. I'd have thought SWMBO would be happier with the rest of the car locked. And a second click isn't difficult.

http://briskoda.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

• 1 month later...

My April 09 Octavia has the new layout of climatronic aircon. I don't think I can change between Centigrade and Fahrenheit as one could on the old system - un;ess anyone knows the secret?

I've yet to underatand what the advantage is of the new layout. For one thing, the temperature figures are more difficult to read.

You need maxidot or vagcom if they're not working as DLRs and you have the DLR bulbs fitted.

In the case of the UK spec facelift Elegance, the fogs have two bulbs behind each lens, one presumably being the DRL. In the Maxidot menu under "Set-up - lights & vision" there's no capability for DRL control. Also, according to the owner's manual, the DRLs can be activated/deactivated via the turn signal lever. Since DRLs are not yet compulsory in the UK and although the bulbs exist, the operating function is void.

It's a bit like the Multi Function steering wheel, even if you do not have HFT Bluetooth, you still get the phone button although it's inactive.

DLRs are a reasonable idea, but NOT when they are part of the fog lights. Those are too low down, and I for one find them very irritating. It looks as if the driver is careless and is leaving their fog lights on, which is against the Highway Code and the law.

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

DLRs are a reasonable idea, but NOT when they are part of the fog lights. Those are too low down, and I for one find them very irritating. It looks as if the driver is careless and is leaving their fog lights on, which is against the Highway Code and the law.

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

[Law RVLR regs 25 & 27]

The DRLs integrated into the fog lights seems a daft idea to me, being too low down but if activated they would work independently of the headlights and the bulbs are only PY21W or LEDs in the case of the forthcoming vRS facelift. They should not dazzle at all, in fact how visible would they actually be?.

In the case of the UK spec facelift Elegance, the fogs have two bulbs behind each lens, one presumably being the DRL. In the Maxidot menu under "Set-up - lights & vision" there's no capability for DRL control. Also, according to the owner's manual, the DRLs can be activated/deactivated via the turn signal lever. Since DRLs are not yet compulsory in the UK and although the bulbs exist, the operating function is void.

It's a bit like the Multi Function steering wheel, even if you do not have HFT Bluetooth, you still get the phone button although it's inactive.

I've seen 2 FL's running them, so must be a vagcom enable.

I've seen 2 FL's running them, so must be a vagcom enable.

Was that on UK cars?

DRL can normally be activated or deactivated either via the Maxidot's lights & visibility menu or via the turn signal lever. On my standard UK spec. Elegance facelift, the facility for this does not show in the Maxidot lights & visibility menu and the turn signal set up has no effect either. The bulbs for the DRL exists in the front fogs and is the equivalent of the LEDs in the forthcoming vRS facelift - wonder if those will also be non accessible on UK cars? In some country's DRL are compulsory but not yet in the UK.

Perhaps via VAGcom is the only way to enable them - it's not that I want them on, it is just nice to know as having two useless bulbs seems a bit pointless .

Was that on UK cars?

DRL can normally be activated or deactivated either via the Maxidot's lights & visibility menu or via the turn signal lever. On my standard UK spec. Elegance facelift, the facility for this does not show in the Maxidot lights & visibility menu and the turn signal set up has no effect either. The bulbs for the DRL exists in the front fogs and is the equivalent of the LEDs in the forthcoming vRS facelift - wonder if those will also be non accessible on UK cars? In some country's DRL are compulsory but not yet in the UK.

Perhaps via VAGcom is the only way to enable them - it's not that I want them on, it is just nice to know as having two useless bulbs seems a bit pointless .

Yup in the UK. Was somewhere in Bedfordshire - A505 IIRC. Only had it's fogs on.

Have you tried with the door shut, and seatbelt on? Some options only show this way.

Have you tried with the door shut, and seatbelt on? Some options only show this way.

Yep but it remains a non illuminating experience!

The DRL if activated only require the ignition on and the light switch left in the off position.

Even if ??? they can be set up with VAGcom, in reality you really need to be able to activate/deactivate via the maxidot or indicator stalk for convenience's sake.

It will be interesting to see if, in the case of the UK spec. vRS facelift with its swish LED daylight running lights, whether or not they can be controlled from the maxidot/ indicator stalk or will they also be inoperative on UK spec.cars. :confused:

• Like 1

This is probably already widely known, but I haven't seen it written anywhere so here goes.

Wipers: If you briefly tap down on the wiper arm, the wipers activate for a single wipe. But if you press down for a little longer the wipers do a fast single wipe instead of slow.

That is all :)

• Like 1

Maybe the "2010 model year" cars will feature DRL activation as described in the manual. They'll have to add it soon enough before they become mandatory in 2011.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm in favour of DRLs anyway, so I hope my car (ordered March, due September) does have them enabled or enable-able. I'm all for increased visibility, and can't see any downsides. I've driven with sidelights on ever since an accident when someone didn't see our (black) car and pulled out in front of us - although daylight we were in the shade, so I'm sure a bit of lighting would have increased the chances of us being seen.

Maybe the "2010 model year" cars will feature DRL activation as described in the manual. They'll have to add it soon enough before they become mandatory in 2011.

I may be in the minority here, but I'm in favour of DRLs anyway, so I hope my car (ordered March, due September) does have them enabled or enable-able. I'm all for increased visibility, and can't see any downsides. I've driven with sidelights on ever since an accident when someone didn't see our (black) car and pulled out in front of us - although daylight we were in the shade, so I'm sure a bit of lighting would have increased the chances of us being seen.

VAG are doing this already. DLRs cannot be disabled by the driver, as it will be EU law on new cars.

DLR can be set up with vag com, also some maxi dot menus dont have everything listed, mine has hardly anything, but another car of same age has extra things in its menus.

DLR can be set up with vag com, also some maxi dot menus dont have everything listed, mine has hardly anything, but another car of same age has extra things in its menus.

Yes, it appears that currently it is the only way that UK spec. cars can activate the DRL. Once they are turned on, vagcom would be required again to deactivate them again unless the selection of the Maxidot's "factory setting" would disable them. When it becomes legislation in the UK their activation would need to be permanent in any case.

My Elegance facelift which has standard lighting ( ie. no coming home & tunnel lights or Xenons) only has one option in the Maxidot's "Lights & Vision" sub menu. That is "comfort indicator" which relates to 3 flash only convenience turn signal where this can be activated/deactivated. Also there is a "factory setting" choice which would, I assume, do the same thing since " comfort indicator" is the only option listed.

Yes, it appears that currently it is the only way that UK spec. cars can activate the DRL. Once they are turned on, vagcom would be required again to deactivate them again unless the selection of the Maxidot's "factory setting" would disable them. When it becomes legislation in the UK their activation would need to be permanent in any case.

My Elegance facelift which has standard lighting ( ie. no coming home & tunnel lights or Xenons) only has one option in the Maxidot's "Lights & Vision" sub menu. That is "comfort indicator" which relates to 3 flash only convenience turn signal where this can be activated/deactivated. Also there is a "factory setting" choice which would, I assume, do the same thing since " comfort indicator" is the only option listed.

coming/leaving home lights can be enabled too, enabled mine :thumbup:

I heard that the throttle body can be reset for those of us without VAG-COM by switching on the ignition (without turning over engine) and leaving for about 20 mins. I guess VAG-COM could show if a reset occurred so can anyone with VAG-COM confirm?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the emergency start code will work with the Octy?

With my old Fabia SDI I had a 4 figure code that you fiddled in using the trip switch. It enabled you to start the car with a broken key. Or in my case I had a plain key cut which lived in my wallet. If out for the day with the kids and they wanted to go back to the car, they could get in but not start it!