Skoda CD Changer Problem

Hi all,

Firstly hello to everyone. This is my first post here on Briskoda.

Hopefully this is the right forum to post with such a problem.

Here's hoping someone can help - I've just purchased my first ever Skoda - a 2001 Octavia VRS with a 6 CD Changer in the boot (Skoda's own Symphony range).

Having stuck a CD cleaner through it, now when I put the CD magazine in, it comes with 'Check Magazine' on the CD display in the car.

I've taken the mag out and cleaned it, ensured it's in correctly, ensured the flap is closed properly, made sure I've put the CD in the right way round, but still the same thing keeps happening.

Anyone with any thoughts as to what the problem may be? What might I be able to do to sort this out? There's only so much of Radio 1 I can handle!!

Thanking you all in advance,

MaxedOut

Hi mine does that sometimes!! If I'm using copied discs, I have to put the copied ones in slots 2-4, and not in 1-6. Try That maybe it will help. Also try tacking the changer out, and then plug it back in.

Dont know if its the same on a cd player with a changer

but i had trouble with my fabias(single) cd player when i first got it

It ended up back in the dealers

And they told me that the symphony doesnt like copied cds with stick on paper covers and they tend to get stuck and missred

Hi there. It may sound silly but I had this "problem" myself once or twice and it turned out I had put all the CDs in the wrong way round. I doubt anyone is as stupid as me, but I thought I'd mention it!

That message occurs when you first insert the magazine into the cd changer and switch on th stereo,its a message telling you that the cd changer is checking for disks (to see what disks are inserted to the magazine), not telling you to check to disks. If you wait for a minute or so, it will dissapear and start playing track1 on disk 1. It will only give you this message when you first insert the magazine.

That message occurs when you first insert the magazine into the cd changer and switch on th stereo,its a message telling you that the cd changer is checking for disks (to see what disks are inserted to the magazine), not telling you to check to disks. If you wait for a minute or so, it will dissapear and start playing track1 on disk 1. It will only give you this message when you first insert the magazine.

I agree ^^^^

When it had me confused, the trouble was, it said it for long enough for me to get to the boot & take the magazine out again to try to see what was wrong. Then the whole cycle repeated...

It was quite a while before I realised that there was nothing wrong at all!

I've only seen that message when I put the magazine in and then immediately got in the car & started the engine (I've seen "Surface" other times).

Normally it's finished checking the disks (you can hear it clunking away) before I turn the ignition on, and there's no message. I'm pretty sure that's what it says if you try to play a CD whilst it's cycling through the disks though... Although that's not to say that you don't get that message if there's a fault too...

I would go and check it now, but I cycled to work today... And there's no CD multichanger on my bicycle...

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the replies.

For a start, I did check that I had all the CDs the right way round, then tried them the other way round just in case. Same message. I then blew it through with an air line, and after about 10 seconds, the 'Check Magazine' message disappeared and it started playing. This was fine for one day, then it started doing it again, but then started displaying the message 'Surface'. It would check CD1 Track1, then say surface, then go on to CD2 Track1, then say surface, and so on and so forth until it got to CD6 Track1 and started all over again at CD1 Track1. I have all original disks in the player to.

Sorry to be a pain, but any further ideas?

Many thanks everyone,

MaxedOut

I get the surface message sometimes when its cold in the morning. I guess its because a thin layer of moisture gets on the discs inside the changer overnight, you remove the magazine on a cold morning(wait a couple of months!) and feel how cold the cd's are. I remove the magazine and then replace it, and try again. Usually retifies the surface message. Its either that or the laser head has the moisture on it? Only happens to me on cold mornings never at any other time. I also get no cd messgaes sometimes even though ive got cds in the magazine. I do the same thing as above, usually fixes it. I listen to cds alot throughout the day, im a service engineer, so i spend probably on average 5-6 hours per day driving.

I had the following on several occasions:

"CHECK MAGAZINE"

"SURFACE"

"MECHANIC"

I repeatedly took all the discs out and checked them, most were brand new and not CD-R's either.

I tried blasting it out with air, a CD lens cleaner and even hitting it :rofl: in case the changer mechanism was jammed but to no avail.

It was a lottery if I was going to be allowed to listen to CD's at all.

I even had it checked during a service and the garage said it worked fine all day, I got back in the car and guess what? all of the above fault messages:mad: .

In the end I gave up and changed the HU and got a DVD player that could handle 500 tracks on one disc.

What are the possibilities of sourcing a replacement CD changer if it continues.

I spend in excess of 6 hours per day in the driver seat and I would go mad without any CD's!!

Clean the connector to the CD changer.

It is under the carpet under the CD changer. This is a cause of many CD changer odities.

I would say blast a tiny bit of IPA onto the clense of the CD changer which will remove whatever dust is in the way, but it will be v hard to get to and spray. IF you do do this, leave the changer empty and open for a while to let the IPA evaporate.

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the replies.

For a start, I did check that I had all the CDs the right way round, then tried them the other way round just in case. Same message. I then blew it through with an air line, and after about 10 seconds, the 'Check Magazine' message disappeared and it started playing. This was fine for one day, then it started doing it again, but then started displaying the message 'Surface'. It would check CD1 Track1, then say surface, then go on to CD2 Track1, then say surface, and so on and so forth until it got to CD6 Track1 and started all over again at CD1 Track1. I have all original disks in the player to.

Sorry to be a pain, but any further ideas?

Many thanks everyone,

MaxedOut