2 problems with Fabia 1.4 16v

Adrianr

Hello,

Can someone please shed some light on a couple "problems" I'm having with my 02 Fabia 1.4 16v?

Firstly, the temperature guage, ever since having the car the engine warms up and the guage sits bang on the middle marker on the dial. Within the past week it's been sitting either on the marker before the middle one, on the middle one or somewhere in between, is there a problem, or after 4 years is my car simply running cooler! I suspect a problem.

Secondly, for about a year now I've been getting what I've always called on older cars "tappets". I've been getting a tapping noise when the engine is accelerating (no hard I hasten to add), usually around 2500 rpm, but it seems to be getting louder and more frequent, is this something I should worry about and what are the potential problems.

My wife is having our first baby next month so money is getting fun, I want to do the right thing for the car, but don't really want to give

First things, welcome to Briskoda!

I am not sure about the temperature gauge item, could be many things - a sensor or the gauge or a thermostat that is acting up.

I have some questions regarding the sound you mentioned. Does it make the sound when you start the car in the morning, or is it only once you've reached a certain rpm? Has the car ever overheated or had a timing belt break? Has it been serviced regularly?

How many miles does the car have?

NR

Hi, thanks for replying,

The car has 34000 miles on the clock. Full main dealer service history. Not had a cam belt go that I know of, but one thing I think might affect it, when my wife was learning to drive we went out a couple of times in the car and she had a couple of violent stalls in the car...I've always thought that never really did the car much good. :mad: (I know...don't let the wife drive ha ha)

It doesn't make the sound when it starts.

Used to make the noise only if you didn't really have enough revs for the gear you were in, ie when pulling up a hill, but making it more frequent now, notice it around 2300 - 2600 revs in most gears when throttle applied to accelerate.

Car has never overheated that I know of, although might be just paranoid, but other night the temp guage was not registering at all and it did seem a bit louder but might have been me reading more into it, and I was driving down a road with close walls either side and the windows open so might have amplified the noise more with the sound bouncing off the walls.

Hello - I know nothing about cars at all, so please take this as you wish.

I had a faint tappet-type noise on my 1.4 8V and it was because the antiroll bar had failed (come adrift) and needed replacing. As your car is a later model than mine, it might have the upgraded bar anyway, in which case it probably won't be that. (This fault would have been spotted on a service by Skoda or MOT methinks if that fault existed at that time.)

Regards

Mo

• 3 weeks later...

Well, car went into the dealer today...nice little bill.....apparently the problem is with the pistons etc.....that would explain the tappets noise and loss of oil!

Temperature sensor

Piston rings

Head Gasket

oil + filter

cam belt

head bolts

Well, car went into the dealer today...nice little bill.....apparently the problem is with the pistons etc.....that would explain the tappets noise and loss of oil!

Temperature sensor

Piston rings

Head Gasket

oil + filter

cam belt

head bolts

£930.60

I've said I'm not happy about this amount of damage being down to a well driven car that's only done 35k. They have suggested I speak to Skoda, see what they say.

Garage mechanics also said the oil was very dirty and they questioned if I had had it serviced....I had by another main stealer back in April, and I actually stopped going there because I caught them out over a couple of missed points on the service....didn't think they would be so stupid as to miss the oil change! (allegedly)

OWCH!!! Thats alot of buggered bits. :eek: . I bought a Y reg 3 Month back and the skoda garage were supposed to of serviced it too. Turns out the cam belt and tensioners were not looked at, and neither was the gearbox resulting in 2 x cam belt changes and 2 x tensioner changes - together with a possible gearbox change this week. Have to say that the garage have done a lot of work on this as goodwill gestures and I am very thankful for that. Which is why Im so confused as to why your dealer has not offered to butter you up with goodwill gestures to keep his reputation on the Briskoda forums? I do think you should chase it up with Skoda as no one should expect a bill like that, especially on a 35k car.

Good luck:thumbup: ,

Mike Pembo

UPDATE: Just got a call from Derek Slack motors saying because there is somesort of limit to the warranty they can either

repair the part that is broken in the gearbox at no charge

OR

put in a new gearbox (which has a reconditioned casing) either at no charge (but no 1 yr manufactures warranty on the part) or with £117 charge which gives me the 1 yr warranty.

Obviously I told them to go ahead with the gearbox change and I will foot the £117 because of the good service I have recieved from them. And when I asked them how long it will take they told me if I have the car in tommorrow I will be able to pick it up after about 4 hours!! :) Cant recomend them enough, Im even forcing my parents to buy a Citroen Picasso Executive from them!!!!!

• 1 year later...

I too have a Fabia 1.4 16v 54 plate. The temperature gauge is vvvvery slow on the uptake and sits comfortably in the centre of the dial which I am led to believe where it is suppsed to be. The oil consumption is CRAP they find 1.5l as acceptable mine falls into 0.74l per 601 miles.

Hope this helps.

I too have a Fabia 1.4 16v 54 plate. The temperature gauge is vvvvery slow on the uptake and sits comfortably in the centre of the dial which I am led to believe where it is suppsed to be. The oil consumption is CRAP they find 1.5l as acceptable mine falls into 0.74l per 601 miles.

Hope this helps.

As the question was asked in 2006, I'm guessing it's been dealt with. :confused:

Hello to all,

My car, a 2001 1.4 16V Auto with engine code AUA has just suffered catastrophic piston ring failure at 53,000 miles, full main dealer History, recent oil and filter.

This is disgusting of course for an engine with VW & Audi logos on it, anyhow, it's a common problem with some failing at 20,000 miles.

So that everyone knows, the tappet noise, intermittent, usually, is the first sign of trouble, then the oil warning light comes on occasionally and then........in my case pop!

Be careful to use only manufacturers filters and correct specification oil in these engines and hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 1.4 8v Fabia thats done around 66,000 and I think I have big probs with it. The coolant needs filling every couple of weeks, there is brown cream stuff under the oil cap, the temp sensor isn't working and there is this intermittent tapping noise, usually on tickover and at low revs.

Does this sound like a head gasket and this piston problem that has been mentioned on here before? I have already had the water pump and tensioner done. :(

Any help will be appreciated

I have a 2002 1.4 8v Fabia thats done around 66,000 and I think I have big probs with it. The coolant needs filling every couple of weeks, there is brown cream stuff under the oil cap, the temp sensor isn't working and there is this intermittent tapping noise, usually on tickover and at low revs.

Does this sound like a head gasket and this piston problem that has been mentioned on here before? I have already had the water pump and tensioner done. :(

Any help will be appreciated

Head Gaskets fail on 1.4 8v's (Skoda Engine) with the syptoms that you describe, temp sensor is a common fault, especially on earlier cars. The Piston Ring problem affects VW's 1.4 16v engines and both problems were amended on later cars

Hello to all,

My car, a 2001 1.4 16V Auto with engine code AUA has just suffered catastrophic piston ring failure at 53,000 miles, full main dealer History, recent oil and filter.

This is disgusting of course for an engine with VW & Audi logos on it, anyhow, it's a common problem with some failing at 20,000 miles.

So that everyone knows, the tappet noise, intermittent, usually, is the first sign of trouble, then the oil warning light comes on occasionally and then........in my case pop!

Be careful to use only manufacturers filters and correct specification oil in these engines and hope for the best.

Unfortunatly not all VW group cars are built equally. My Felly has so far been good. It overheated last year but the HG was ok. I've done 30k miles since 2006 and still going strong. No fancy electrics to go wrong.

Usually well kept cars and engines will go the distance.

My cousin has just bought his Fabia 16v and has already handed it to Skoda to have the fault computer read.