Fabia vRS: how to change rear discs and pads

Xavier

Would have been nice to remove the protective film from the new disks before you started :P

Could have given things a bit of a clean by the looks of it too!!

Have things improved since you fitted them?

Good to see a guide up though :thumbup:

• Like 2

Would have been nice to remove the protective film from the new disks before you started :P

Could have given things a bit of a clean by the looks of it too!!

Have things improved since you fitted them?

Good to see a guide up though :thumbup:

Protective film :confused: You almost had me worried for a second :P At least, I didn't paint them ;)

Worth mentioning that once complete and you drive off, be VERY CAREFUL because the pads need to settle and the brake pedal will probably go to the floor without much braking power. Nearly knocked my old man's bike over :eek:

Also, the handbrake has no bite at all because it needs to settle in a bit. Once bedded in, it will improve, but again, I'd leave the car in gear for the first week or so.

I desperately need to bed them in quickly so the handbrake has a chance of passing the MoT :eek:

And a big :thumbup: to Ross for his assistance. Maybe I can get you a babygrow or something ;):):thumbup:

Its nowt to do with the fluid settling.

The piston is all the way retracted and the pads are not mating with the disc so you have to pump the pedal until they contact. This is also why the handbrake wont work fully. Also the handbrake mechnism inside the caliper doesnt adjust fully until you have done a few miles.

Next time, start the engine and pump the pedal a few times before setting off. You will feel it firm up quite quickly. You can remove the rustproofing with some white spirit or similar to avoid getting a nice sticky burnt on coating on the pads.

As said before remove the protective film from the discs before fitting as it will clog the new pads up:rolleyes: Touch of copper grease would not have gone a miss either;)

Always pump the brake pedal several times before driving off to give yourself a solid pedal and after several miles apply the handbrake to set its level.

For more techie minded people the brake pipe should be clamped off and the bleed nipple undone before winding the piston back in

HTH

Phil Top job Xav though:thumbup:

News to me.

:confused: Come on Ross, any brake work involving pushing of pistons back results in any "crud" that was lurking around being pushed back into the system, i was always told to clamp the pipe and undo the bleed nipple to allow such "crud" to escape into a bleed bottle....

Perhaps its just my old school way but i never seem to get probs with brakes unlike some people :rolleyes:

Phil:)

As said before remove the protective film from the discs before fitting as it will clog the new pads up:rolleyes: Touch of copper grease would not have gone a miss either;)

Always pump the brake pedal several times before driving off to give yourself a solid pedal and after several miles apply the handbrake to set its level.

For more techie minded people the brake pipe should be clamped off and the bleed nipple undone before winding the piston back in

HTH

Phil Top job Xav though:thumbup:

I wasn't too worried about the film, partly because I was tired, and partly because it was the rear brakes. Had it been the fronts, I would have given them a good clean. I reckon it will burn off pretty soon though. Will do a couple of high speed runs, and brake / use handbrake lightly to bed them in :)

There was a load of copper grease still on there, and the disc happily rotated around the hub, thanks to the previous owner ;):thumbup:

I did a search on Brisk, and remember seeing a post by Denis and it was mentioned that no need to bleed the brakes :confused:

There's no need to bleed the brakes if you haven't touched the fluid. You should, however, monitor the level in the reservoir as you wind the piston back in, as it could overflow all over your nice engine bay paintwork (unless you follow Phil's suggestion and push the fluid out through the bleed nipple).

Personally I'm always worried about clamping brake hoses. Since most of them either have wire reinforcement, or wire outer sheaths, the potential for permanently mis-shaping them is fairly significant, I would have thought.

:thumbdwn: I never mentioned bleeding the brakes :confused: I only suggested undoing the nipple to allow the piston to push back easier, far simpler to allow fluid out here than push it out of the top of the reservoir....

Ross i may have 10 years on you but my training was on RS`s and cossie powered cars:P Phil

:thumbdwn: I never mentioned bleeding the brakes :confused: I only suggested undoing the nipple to allow the piston to push back easier, far simpler to allow fluid out here than push it out of the top of the reservoir....

Ross i may have 10 years on you but my training was on RS`s and cossie powered cars:P Phil

Sorry Phil. I didn't mean bleed the brakes, I meant bleeding the excess fluid through the nipple. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just to say a thank you to TFboy! I found this really helpful when fitting new discs and pads today.

Things I learnt after doing the first side, WD40 is the best friend you will ever have. And on another note the original "mooing" noise from when the car was new has come back after looking at the old disc and looking at the new one I think its caused by the disc slightly rubbing against the capiler, anyone else found this or should I be worried?

• 1 month later...

GRRRRRRRR how bloody hard are the pistons to psuh back in!

I WD40'd it up and still couldn't budge it back in at all!

I've had to abondon hopes of change the pads today and have re-fitted the very worn old ones.

Help anyone? pics of how to hold and which way to twist would be good.

GRRRRRRRR how bloody hard are the pistons to psuh back in!

I WD40'd it up and still couldn't budge it back in at all!

I've had to abondon hopes of change the pads today and have re-fitted the very worn old ones.

Help anyone? pics of how to hold and which way to twist would be good.

Did you use a piston wind back tool ?