MK41 0EN

Tel: 01234 434561 (Service)

01234  434562 (Parts)

Site: Skoda Retailer

Services: New, Used, Repair

Edited by DGW
Dealer name updated.

• 4 months later...

Have to say i am less than impressed with them.

Called for prices on bits for Felicia - always seem to have the excuse that the computer is down and they will call back. Of 4 times I have tried they called back once - promised to order part and would call when part was in but have not heard anything yet.

Ended up getting parts mail order from Butts!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty friendly (outgoing bubbly receptionist, non judgemental on vehicle problems and very organised at fitting in service work),

Only too pleased to investigate a problem with brakes at v short notice, car runs a lot better now.

Seemed to be a good dealer with my first initial visit to them and would be thinking of starting my services with them, maybe the next car !

Interested to see how well they perform over a longer period.

• 3 months later...

I'm doing some contract work in Sandy, Beds and I popped in here to get a light bulb changed and I was mightily impressed by the very quick and helpful people on the service reception.

So, when it came up for it's 40K service, I took the Fabia in and;

1. They tried to fix EVERYTHING I asked them to - a first! They almost succeeded.

2. They took it upon themselves to order a warranty part for something I had asked them to fix, but they couldn't as they didn't have the part - another first!

3. Their loan car is free and it's a decent spec unlike so many poverty spec loan-cars that Skoda dealers seem to have.

4. They washed and waxed the car. They even offered to wash the car when it went to have the cup-holder adjusted! All Skoda dealers are supposed to do this, but in my experience not all of them actually do.

I've been in now a total of 4 times, each time with a very positive result and I've felt that nothing was too much trouble for them and that they really wanted my business.

Highly recommended.

• 2 months later...

Friendly and efficient in my relatively limited dealings with them.

Prices a bit high though but MILES better than the Kia dealer my previous car came from. (MK Kia - you are terrible!)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I bought my vRS from Progress Bedford nearly 2 years ago (Letchworth was not open then). There were a couple of items post-delivery that were, shall we say, technically challenging to them but at the time I put it down to them still being in the 'under new management' phase. I had the first service done at Bedford last April and all went fine.

Since then, I have gravitated to Letchworth as they are nearer and will probably have second service done there in April this year.

The one factor I am most impressed with them about is the 'Customer Care'; their staff always smile, are most friendly and make you feel like you want to do business with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Mk2 Octavia Vrs 2.0TFSI from them about 18 months ago. David Stott the guy i dealt with was very helpfull and was a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately he left a few weeks after i completed the purchase, and the dealership seems to have gone to pot since. At the time I order some badges for a friends octavia, which I was told was out of stock and they would phone me when they came in. I have chased them on numerous occassions and been given various excuses as to why they are not in, from being discontinued, a country wide shortage etc. They always promised to phone me back but they never do. At this moment in time I;m still waiting.

I have had to take my car back with a couple of warranty problems, there was a problem with the rear washer not working and a terrible knocking from the suspension. They booked the car in and did the job very quickly, only problem was they soaked all the carpet in the boot with washer fluid and then promptly blamed me for it when I complained. The suspension problem has since re-occured.

I have also had a 20k service done by them and they tried to rip me off. They quoted me one price and then tried to invoice me another (approx £100 more). After a long argument with the service manager he desided to charge me the quoted price.

I would not recommend this dealer for your Skoda needs. The service given is of a very poor level.

My next neighbour has 2 cars from them and had nothing but problems with them. The 2nd car he bought was a brand new Octavia Mk2 Vrs Tdi and they couldn't even put the correct number plate on it, it took a another dealership in Devon to put it right while he was on holiday down there.

Edited by DGW
Inappropriate mention of another dealer.

• 1 year later...

I ordered my new Octavia VRS from them on 28-9-09 and got a very good deal, nearly matched the then Drive the Deal price and still gave me a reasonable price for my P/X.

The salesman was not very good at updating on the state of the order but I got a much better response from their sales admin office in Letchworth.

On collection of my new car on January 16th there was one small problem but it really bugged me.

The vRS badge on the boot was broken and they did not have one in stock. The car had been stored in their workshop for 10 days and no one had spotted it, doh!!.

They had also put the servicing regime onto fixed from variable without asking me.

Any way took car back the following week and all was sorted quickly.

Went back again today to sort a creaking/rattling from underneath and to get the steering wheel set to the straight ahead postion, it was only out by about 2 degrees but it was annoying me.

Gave me a new Fabia for the day and all was sorted by 3 o'clock, even had a telephone update at midday.

Creaking was eventually diagnosed as gearshift cables touching the undertray and now sorted.

Also had a full laser alignment and tracking check done to get the wheel straight.

But the big thing about the excellent customer service I've always had is that its genuine and friendly from everyone, even the MD knew my name. The receptionist is very helpful and polite. The service manager keeps you updated. The head tech was determined to sort the problem out to my satisfaction.

I went away satisfied and feeling every member of staff wanted to help.

• 2 months later...

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Progress Skoda, although I went to the Bedford branch, not the Letchworth one.

Firstly, I took my perfectly functioning 4 year old car in for a service and MOT.

My car had covered 22k miles at this point, but since it was 4 years old, they did the 40k mile service including a cambelt change. I also had the air conditioning checked. This came to £650.

First thing was that they gave me a terribly slow courtesy car - I accept I wasn't going to be given anything fantastic, but I'd have thought something similar to my car would have been about right?

Next, they forgot to do the MOT. While they did then do it free of charge (While I waited for 50 minutes) it's still pretty poor.

Then, once my car was out of it's MOT, it looked like it had some kind of disease, and was covered in white spots which took me 4 hours to clean off.

The next day, I noticed that there was also now a leak under the bonnet, and when I told them about this, they didn't seem bothered and said it was probably just some spilt oil from the service working it's way out.

Then, I noticed my air conditioning no longer worked, despite it working fantastically before the so called check up.

I decided not to take my car back to them to have the air conditioning sorted out, as I'd rather they never touched my car again.

After a few months, I was looking to get a new car, and it just so happened the perfect car for me was at Progress Skoda in Bedford. Since it was a new car, I was hoping they wouldn't have had a chance to ruin it yet, and went along to see it.

I found the salesman to be thoroughly uninterested in me throughout the time I was there, and he even answered the phone about 6 times while talking to me, to deal with other customers and work things.

He then proceeded to practically put words in to my mouth, and before I knew it he had actually printed out a contract and was trying to get me to sign it when he could see I wasn't even that sure yet.

I got away, and came back later after talking to some people, and while there I decided I didn't want the car - Once I'd said that, he ripped up some paper and turned back to his computer, with no goodbye or handshake or anything.

I feel the whole team there are poor at their jobs, unfriendly, uncaring and incredibly pushy. The only person there that was of any help and who was actually friendly and helpful was the kind lady on the service desk. Unfortunatly, I can't remember her name as I was so disgusted with the rest of my experience there.

I have advised many other people to avoid the place at all costs, and the six of them that did buy new cars, bought them from other Skoda dealers and were very pleased.

Edited by DGW
Post moved from Progress Skoda Letchworth forum, and inappropriate mention of another dealer deleted.

• 1 year later...

I bought my first Skoda from this dealership, and have mixed feelings about the service. The initial contact with the salesman was good, and he was knowledgeable of his product and helpful, and an order was placed. After that there was no contact unless I phoned. Eventually another salesman called to inform me of the arrival of the car and that it would be available after the Christmas period and a date was made to collect. It was at this point that I feel their service was lacking.

I left the dealership with the car without checking the fuel level, (my fault), but after a mile or so in unfamiliar territory I realised the gauge was off the bottom of the red. Luckily I spotted a sign to a supermarket and managed to get 54.1 litres to the brim. I was not impressed.

On receipt of the logbook I found that the car had been registered nearly a month earlier. That gave them the opportunity to register it as their 2009 quota, and yet I was not able to collect until the end of January, which meant that I lost nearly a month's tax.

Later there was a problem with the paperwork and whenever I phoned the salesman was never there. Eventually I was told that they would get back to me with an answer, but I heard no more and gave up.

On the plus side, a few days after collection I washed the car thoroughly to check for paint problems, and on a sunny day I could see an inclusion under the paint laquer. I phoned them the same day and arranged to see the relevant warranty person, and he promptly arranged for the bonnet to be resprayed.

When the time came for a service I decided to use a new dealership slightly closer, and their service was wholly acceptable. I will use them again.

• 2 months later...

Just put my Octavia in for 20,000 mile service at main dealer- Progress Skoda, Bedford. My vehicle was set to viable service intervals, using the more expensive oil for variable services. I specified this when I took it in. when I drove out, I noted the log book where the service engineer had ticked 'oil NOT suitable for variable service intervals' used.

When I complained to the sales assistant, he said "They just ticked the wrong box" and ticked the other box. Then when I got home (3 miles) I noted the trip computer told me I had 9600 miles to my next service!

this means they have almost definitely put the wrong oil in AND changed the car to fixed interval AND knocked off 600 miles!

Deeply unimpressed, and feel a mug, wish I had marked the oil filter so I could at least be sure the oil even got changed!

ps just looked at the oil filter, looks new, the oil doesn't look that clean though... (hardly definitive I know but, every time I change the oil in a car it looks clean for a few days)

Anyone had any bad experience there? or got a recommendation in this area? (Biggleswade)

This is not my first poor experience with this dealer.

I brought the car from them new, I have never in over 20 phone calls ever had a call back from them, not for updates for delivery dates, not for parts I've requesting coming into stock, not one.

I was going to write a list of things but I have decided to simply advise as "AVOID" I tried enough times. I will be going elsewhere from now.

******** UPDATE **********

I completed their online survey following this experience, explaining my problems above, and I was contacted by the dealer to say they were sorry to hear about my bad experience and offered to do another oil and filter change, free.

I accepted and they took the car in and gave me a courtsey car a 1.2 tsi octavia (great car, great engine- even pulls in 6th!) and did an oil and filter change. When I got the car back it had been fully valeted inside and out (waxed too) made an excellent job of it too, no mean feat considering I have large muddy dogs... and got a courtesy oil and screen wash bottles.

Checked the oil when I got home- Clean.

A good experience.

Edited by 1.4tsi

• 3 months later...

Three years ago I was in the market for a new Superb, living only 10 miles form this dealearsip I decided to visit and arrange for a test drive. I arranged for a test drive at a given time but, 1 hour before the allotted time I received a call cancelling - no explanation but was told a new time would be arranged needless to say they never contacted me & despite more the half a dozen phone calls which were never returned I gave up. Result 1 lost sale.

• 10 months later...

brought two cars from them at the same time salesman was all over us like a cheap suit . once we had the cars service was terrible . had a couple of problems paperwork wise 2 weeks later sorted out myself in fifteen minutes. would never use again.

use the one in Letchworth & when asked told them Bedford customer service was abysmal

• 1 year later...

i just took my car in as the interior lights were not working this was fixed as i waited the staff were polite and helpful and to be honest they were better than any other main dealer ive encountered i have to say my experience here filled me with confidence and i will use them again :)  

xan

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

So I gather, no great announcements anywhere................ so time to see if ones service plan will be honoured...

Pity they are gone, they (Progress Skoda Letchworth) were very good....  looked after me very well when I had the first Superb and then the Yeti.. Of late though the whole operation lost its character ( and most of its resident employees) to become very clinical, the invitation events were a total farce - each time I was up for buying a replacement vehicle but no one wanted to talk...

• 7 months later...

Spoke to them this afternoon to get an idea of specific service jobs such as cambelt & water pump and DSG fluid change and the service manager seemed a grumpy git on the phone.

He told me my vehicle reg “doesn’t come up on the system” so I guess that seals it. No way I’ll let them work on it if it’s not on their system. 

Last year I took a part number in to get a pcv for my Octavia. Apparently the number I gave wasn't a part number, so I had to order with my reg etc. yet once the part arrived it was stamped all over the bag......

They also do other stupid things like leaving doors unlocked and tailgates wide open on their forecourt vehicles over night