Fabia coolant temp sensor - how to

ap0gee1978

Just did mine, didn't take long. Would probably be worthwhile draining the coolant a little, i lost a bit when i took the sensor out. That being said, looks like a lot of faff to get the the drain plug so might be easier just to top it up!

1.9TDi

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How do you fit a new one on a 1.2 petrol 53 plate?

I know it's the same part however I'm having trouble removing the engine cover!

I don't know anything much about the 1.2 - sorry! If the cover doesn't just pull off, then the caps over the bolt-down points should be obvious enough... :S

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this is the problem I am having with my Y reg 2001 Fabia 1.9 SDI (diesel)

The temp gauge has dropped to zero when cruising at 60 mph after about an hour from start up... Never seemed to rise to "normal" position.... I slowed down, to see if it was related to the speed of cold air (it was freezing weather) through the radiator, but did not rise significantly....

got home and replaced the thermostat with new one.... ran engine, took about 30 mins to get up to "normal" temp.... with the cap off the reservoir, revved the engine a couple of times and then put the cap on tight, whilst engine running.... went for a "test drive" the needle gradually dropped back to zero, checked coolant level, remains at normal....

is there any other way to "bleed" the cooling system???

1. Water seems to be circulating, as it looks like it is being pumped into the reservoir by the small bore pipe at the top of the engine to the reservoir.... (so am assuming the water pump is ok..... confirm diagnosis ..... yes or no???)

2. Performance does not seem to be affected.....No excess smoke or pressure in oil filler ...rad hoses do not seem to be "pressurised"...... no loss of coolant....... (assuming head gasket must be ok...... confirm diagnosis ...... yes or no????)

3. Temp gauge needle moves.... (assume no fault with gauge...... confirm diagnosis..... yes or no???)

4. When the temp guage is showing zero (cold) the bottom of the rad is "cold" to touch, when temp gauge shows "normal" (after standing still but running engine to get hot)... the bottom of rad (and bottom hose (where thermostat enters engine block to bottom of rad) is hot.... (as would be expected with correct operation of thermostat).....

5. No warning lights appear on dash board !

Any advice would be appreciated.... thanks

Gerry

Does sound like the sensor. Not such a convenient place on the diesel, but can be swapped without draining, with minimal coolant loss if you're quick. I think I posted some stuff about 'pending' fault codes earlier in the thread, if that's any use...?

• 4 weeks later...

Have changed the temp sensor, and still the same.... !

not sure what the next step is now !....

yes it is a bit "awkward" to get to the sensor on the diesel..... I used a black bin liner under the "return pipe" from the Coolant Reservior, at front of engine (easiest acces point) to drain down the fluid, then carefully lifted that out and put into a bucket to transfer to a watering can, before doing the job,.... also removed the airfilter cover, to gain a bit better access to the temp sensor...... used a "stubby " flat screwdriver to prise out the holding clip, and another thinner one to deburr the "catch" to remove the wiring , once I had the old sensor out of the engine block..... (carefully removed the O ring) then just push the new one in with the o ring on and refitted the wiring, and the air filter housing. before topping back up with the coolant fluid....

cheers

Gerry

• 1 month later...

Ok,

but how is it that there is no water gushing out in the pics?

The cap on the header tank creates a vacuum which holds the coolant I think. I remember when I took the temp sender out of my Favorit (similar cooling system). The level remained stable. Removed the coolant cap then it gushed out and I rushed to put the cap back on :)

I found the clips on my thermostat had broken off and I couldn't find them. I presume due to direction of waterflow they are stuck at the top of the radiator. Are they are okay left in the system? (Whoever designed that thermostat case needs shooting. Whoever made the ones Jorily sells deserves an award :))

Edited by anewman

Forget vacuums and stuff: it's simply that the coolant is at the same level in the 'stat housing as it is in the expansion tank. Park nose-down on a steep slope, and it would pour out! As far as fragments go, my wife's has bits from TWO broken 'stat housings floating around, and it still runs OK!

• 6 months later...

Help needed from a newby!

Just bought a 2001 Fabia 1.4 8v a week ago.

Got the red temp light flashing from cold and slow to warm up.

Temp guage a bit erratic as well. Light goes off if you switch off and on again when the engine has warmed up.. And I have a really rough idle.

So, today I've replaced the thermostat and sensor complete from Skoda, 41quid. The thermostat had disintegrated completely, so I'm glad I did the whole lot rather than just the sensor :-)

Put everything back together and I still have the red light flashing........!

Scratching my head here what else it could be???

Header/expansion tank as well??

Any help appreciated

Regards

Jason

Almost certainly. On some, you can see inside the tank to clean the prongs of the sensor, but otherwise you'll need a whole new one (only about 12 quid). If you want to know for sure before you splash out, short out the sensor with a bit of stiff wire (bend it into a U shape and use it to bridge the contacts inside the plug) and if the light and beeps go away, you have your diagnosis!

HTH

Thanks!

I'll give the wire a go and see if the light goes out :-)

I've just called the local Skoda garage and they've put me a header tank to one side to collect tomorrow in case it is that.

Only 14quid :-)

Fingers crossed

Thanks again

Jason

• 2 months later...

brilliant how to guide, did mine this morning and the guide was spot on.

Although it turns out that the sensor was not faulty but something else is messing me about :(

now to try and find this problem

@marshy - remove the temp sender again, when everything cold obviously, and stick your finger in. If you can wobble the metal thing inside or it falls over you need a new thermostat and housing. It's a common problem on the 1.4 mpi (8v) as the clips break. Also bear in mind with the current cold weather if you have the blowers on etc this cools the coolant down meaning your temp gauge may not rise as fast as you expect. But if it's staying down the bottom, you have a new temp sender, it's a fair bet it's the thermostat.

couldnt feel anything inside at all to be honest so am i wise to just replace everything and go from there would you say?

dont suppose you know the part numbers to order by chance?

cheers for your quick response

Ben

If you stick your finger in and straight down and to the right a bit the thermostat should be there. It has probably fallen flat to the left part of the thermostat housing.

This one is designed specifically so it does not break the way the 1.4mpi one commonly does (secured by circlip instead) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skoda-Fabia-1-0-1-4-Mpi-Thermostat-BRAND-NEW-/400178580728?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2c808cf8 (says due in stock January eek) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skoda-Fabia-1-0-1-4-Mpi-Thermostat-BRAND-NEW-Replacemen-/290506385833?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a387a9a9 looks to be the same but cheaper. As you have already bought a new temp sender this is the only bit you need. If you go to a Skoda dealer they will probably only sell you the complete housing with temp sender and price would probably be £50+.

sweet ive ordered that now. how easy would this be to fit. ive got my own tools but only just started really doing things myself or would i be best to just send it to a garage for them to fit ?