HOWTO: New Octavia - Headlight Bulb Change

andy2407

I Changed mine last month decided to do all bulbs while the headlights were out wanted to try the phillips extremes or the osram nightbreakers but went for the halfords because it's close to were i work and the 2 for one offer was on again so i went for the Exteme Brilliance for the Dipped H7's and the Super Brilliance for the Main Beam H1's they have made a great improvement over OEM but i was dissapointed i couldn't get the H1's in Extreme Brlliance, but low and behold i called in this week and they are now doing H1's in Extreme Brillance :mad: Superb Guide by the way Top Marks :thumbup:

Craig.......

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drive a lot at night

I am forever changing headlight bulbs

So I tend to go to the local carmart for cheapo's

Would I be better investing in these Halford bulbs you reccomend

I dont fancy paying out 20 quid every 2 or 3 weeks if they are noe hardier though

I drive a lot at night

I am forever changing headlight bulbs

So I tend to go to the local carmart for cheapo's

Would I be better investing in these Halford bulbs you reccomend

I dont fancy paying out 20 quid every 2 or 3 weeks if they are noe hardier though

If you're changing them *that* often, either they are faulty or you're touching them as you fit them causing them to burn hotter, thus shorten life.

I sold my Octavia in May 2008, so 16 months after I produced this guide. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to replace the Halford bulbs - so thats at least 30k of driving with the mileage I do (although not all with the lights on of course).

There are plenty of other "performance" bulbs out there that get equally good reviews, so if you are only getting 2 - 3 weeks life they are either very poor quality bulbs, being tocuhed as gadgetman says, or maybe there is some electrical fault / short circuit on your car that is causing them to blow.

Thanks guys

I was hoping it wasn't a fault

I try not to touch the glass, but from time to time this may happen

I dont take out the lamp to change the bulbs

I find I can do this without removing the hole lamp. although the passenger side is a little fiddly

This may be a little harder when coming to change the sidelight/indicator or main beam though

Thanks guys

I was hoping it wasn't a fault

I try not to touch the glass, but from time to time this may happen

I dont take out the lamp to change the bulbs

I find I can do this without removing the hole lamp. although the passenger side is a little fiddly

This may be a little harder when coming to change the sidelight/indicator or main beam though

Maybe try fitting them by taking the lamp unit out and seeing if they last longer??? - you never know???

Removing the lamp unit takes less than 3 mins per side, and the bulb change is much easier with the lamp out. I suspect that its possible to change both sides taking out the whole lamp faster than leaving them in situ. Having changed both of mine several times now, I can do it in less than 3 mins a side (remove, change and put back).

• 4 weeks later...
Just done my H1 and H7 bulbs changing them for osram nightbreakers...good "how to" cheers

Glad this is still being used - even if its a couple of years old and the car is long gone!

Nice one, guys, just did this on my Octy 2 Classic. Halfords +90% Extra brilliance = big difference. Only thing I can moan about on my Octy was the lights but then I have been spoilt by my wifes Golf 5 GT TDi with Xenons.

Drivers side was easy enough without taking the headlight out but passenger side no chance as access if blocked by the air filter housing and the battery tray, unless you have hands like a 5yr old. Headlight was easy enough to get out but an ar5e to get back in straight. Anyway, can't complain 1/2hr beginning to end, great guide and quality pics. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Andy

Thanks for the very good How To. I have just changed my 1st headlamp bulb and it was a doddle following your instructions.

I managed to do the job without disconnecting the main feed to the unit, I just turned the headlamp unit through 90 degrees and had more than enough access.

• 5 months later...

Many thanks for the instructions. I have an old (2000) Octavia and fearing the worst having to go to a dealer to change the bulb, came across your instructions. I popped down to Halfords and got a bulb for £6.50 and they offered to fit it for £4.99. All done for less that 12 quid. Marvellous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
thanks but i want to install the audi led strips how to go bout that and where to connect the wires can u please guide thanks a lot

I sold the car about 18 months ago so no guide from me sorry (plus the fact that I think they look bloody awful anyway :eek:).

Have a search round and check out some of the Daytime Running Light (DLR) threads as I think others have tried various options

Thanks for this thread,Changed my main beam to Osram Night Breakers,Philips Silver Vision for the indicators front and back,and Philips in the side lights.:thumbup:

Just done all four headlight bulbs in ~ 1/2hr. The FL model is different in detail. Unscrew the white plastic nut.

Removing the head lights required a lot of force to yank the hook on the O/S one.

Could not figure how to separate the wiring loom so carefully rested the headlight on a tall stool. No need to turn them upside down - there are just two separate soft rubber covers to peel off to access the bulbs. Dip bulb and holder come out together with an anti-clockwise twist. Note orientation of old bulb before inserting new one and twist clockwise into place. Main beam bulb is more deeply buried in the housing. I’d to use a pair of long nose pliers to unhook the first side of the retaining clip, then the other side popped off easily. Withdraw bulb and holder together. Noting first how bulb is orientated. Pull out bulb and push in new one re-assemble. If one side of the clip is engaged, I note the other side follows it. But check any way. Push on access covers and re-insert unit until it clicks in place. Check bulbs are working. Exhale. Hope they are OK tonight!

Used a plastic glove to avoid spoiling the old/new bulbs (I hope). Be carful not to drop the headlight unit when it is balancing on the stool.

I'd recommend that you get some surgical latex gloves or latex free (if you're allergic to latex) to change the bulbs, that way you don't get any grease from either your skin or otherwise on the bulb.

The glove will increase your grip on the bulb, so it should be easier to insert/handle.

If you get grease on the bulb then try either proper vinegar (Not non-brewed condiment), Isopropyl Alcohol (service spray) or Meths to remove it, allow to dry naturally or you can wipe it with a small piece of newspaper, which will leave it absolutely spotless.

• 1 month later...

I almost changed the O/s dipped bulb WITHOUT removing the whole headlamp assy, then the ruddy retaining clip fell off from it's hinges - game over!

Great guide this,

That slider hook clip nearly broke my finger it was soo tight. If it's really stiff, like mine was, try working it back and forth (ie away from the centre of the bumper and then towards the centre of the bumper in a push pull left right sliding motion). Failing that, like me use a small metal bar (or large screwdriver shaft across it) or something similar - then you can get both hands on it - it does sometimes require a hefty tug!

• 1 month later...

(google translation swedish-english)

Replacing the xenon lamp on the Octavia II

D1S bulb units for xenon dipped beam on Octavia II.

Time to change - Max 15 min / lamp

A

Open the bonnet

Unscrew the white plastic nut at (1)

Pull up the latch and pull the metal lever (2) in the direction of the green arrow

Lamp housing is now going out.

a.jpg

B

Loosen the connection to the lamp housing.

Release the latch on the connection. (1) Insert your thumbnail into the slot and press the green arrow.

Loosen the connection.

b.jpg

C

Loosen hangers (1)

Remove the screws (2.3)

Remove the plastic cap

c.jpg

D

Remove the lamp by loosening the screws at 1 and 2

d.jpg

E

Loosen plug (1)