Guide: DIY Fabia vRS Short Shifter Mod

Basil

Thanks to Xavier for in most part (around 90%+) performing the art of chopping down by an inch the metal stick :P

Took ages but well worth it, had to resort to a hacksaw for the last bit but the pipe cutter gave a clean start :)

Getting used to the changes already, you have to be a bit more accurate on your gearchanges but no excessive force required or anything, and it works very well :)

Thanks Bas for the guide too :D

• 2 months later...

Great mod.

I've simulated how it would feel by gripping 1" down the gk with thumb and forefinger and it is definitely the thing for me.

As an alternative to the pipe cutter though, I think I might use a metal cutting jig saw. Only one thing: I assume the shaft is hollow (ie. a tube) so the cuttings will obviously drop down the inside; is that likely to lead to problems? Or, is it only the top part which is hollow, the section below that being solid?

Great mod.

I've simulated how it would feel by gripping 1" down the gk with thumb and forefinger and it is definitely the thing for me.

As an alternative to the pipe cutter though, I think I might use a metal cutting jig saw. Only one thing: I assume the shaft is hollow (ie. a tube) so the cuttings will obviously drop down the inside; is that likely to lead to problems? Or, is it only the top part which is hollow, the section below that being solid?

If you're going to use any kind of saw - put the jubilee clip/hose clamp that you'll use later on to serve as a guide to help get a perfect flat cut. A metal cutting jigsaw might be a bit hazardous IMHO - better to use a junior hacksaw - takes a little longer but no risk of slicing off a thumb!!!:eek:

The shaft is a thick-walled bronze tube all along its length. The bottom is sealed IIRC - don't think that any swarf will cause any problems tbh...

A few peeps have left out the check screw/grub screw and just tightened the hose clamp really tight, with excellent results...

If you do it - please do post some feedback!

HTH

Bas

If you're going to use any kind of saw - put the jubilee clip/hose clamp that you'll use later on to serve as a guide to help get a perfect flat cut. A metal cutting jigsaw might be a bit hazardous IMHO - better to use a junior hacksaw - takes a little longer but no risk of slicing off a thumb!!!:eek:

The shaft is a thick-walled bronze tube all along its length. The bottom is sealed IIRC - don't think that any swarf will cause any problems tbh...

A few peeps have left out the check screw/grub screw and just tightened the hose clamp really tight, with excellent results...

If you do it - please do post some feedback!

HTH

Bas

Thanks Bas.

After posting, it occurred to me that if it is a tube I could just stuff a rag down beyond the cut-off point, that way any swarf would be trapped.

Take your point about the junior hacksaw.

I'll leave feedback.

Regards

Bas, as requested, here's some feedback.

Did the job this evening on my Feb05 Fabia vRS.

In addition to your excellent guide points worth mentioning are:

1. In your guide the surround is held in place by clips, fore and aft. On my car the aft is clipped but the fore is held in place by 3 tork screws located under the ashtray.

2. I didn't break the clamp at the base of the **** I just slackened it off using a flat head screwdriver. This was sufficient to allow the **** to slide off the shaft.

3. After draping the dash, seats and doors with dust sheets I used a Diskette with a 3mm slitting disc to remove a portion corresponding to the length of the channel (that's about an inch).

4. Using the same slitting disc, rotating downwards - that way the headlining is not at risk from carborundum sparks - I extended the channel down the shaft by the same length as I had removed from the top. Incidentally, the shaft is steel, electro plated, not phos brz.

By extending the channel you avoid the need to drill out the protrusion which you mention is located near the top of the bore of the ****.

5. After dressing all edges I then pressed the **** down onto the shaft until it bottomed then just recrimped the clamp using pincer pliers.

6. Re-assembled.

Having done so, I noticed the **** was slightly out of line - like five past twelve, not 12 o'clock. Now, in hindsight, what i should have done was, prior to cutting off the top portion I should have extended the channel down the shaft using the existing channel as a guide. Too late was the cry! Tomorrow I'll have to rectify. Can't be doing with anything less than spot-on.

Summary: The job was simplicity itself, but only because I had the use of the Diskette grinder. The thought of using a pipe cutter was just too horrendous for an oldie like me. Literally, the top portion was cut off and the channel extended in five minutes. However, including getting the tools, dust sheeting then tidying up afterwards the total time would be nearer 45 mins.

So, how does the short shifter compare with the longie? Well, like the others I'm really impressed. Terrific mod.

Edit

Initially, this morning's project was to sort out the alignment I mentioned. However, after gaining access, I decided that I would cut-off a bit more, so that the shaft height was nearer to yours (bottom of **** about 1/8" above the spring cap). I then ground a bit more out of one side of the channel so that the alignment would be spot-on.

Prior to reassembling, I wrapped a 1/4"strip of 3M double sided tape round the shaft at the position where the clamp would be re-crimped. The combination of the tape and the crimp pressure fixes the **** really securely.

Now that I have an even shorter short-shifter what is my impression? Well, the changes are even smoother than yesterday. It's an absolutely brilliant mod which I'd have no hesitation in recommending.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great mod, I re-used the oem clip by prising it apart and then crimping it back up with some pliers.

It feels amazing on the move, car feels so much sportier, teams up well with an uprated clutch and fly.....

I havent stuck a screw in yet to hold it but it doesnt move around :)

• 2 months later...
Just wondering,

if the "knob" is empty, would it make sens to add some lead, in order to have some more weight in the knob?

Good idea - not much space in there though - was thinking of taking off the knob and getting a mate to cast a bronze copy. Seems a bit OTT, but that's never stopped me before.....

Bas

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Can anyone confirm what size pipe cutter i need??? 15mm, 22mm etc.....

I've been looking on screw-fix etc... for a pipe cutter and seems to be cutters for different size pipe.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by WaveyDavey

Anyone local to me done this? (Cheshire)

Fancy doing it again for afew beer tokens?

lol Sounds like me...... I think i'm finally gonna pluck up the courage and have a go this Friday.

Cheers

Dave.

Carried out this mod today. Great 'how to' Basil just gonna get out and see what it's like when driving now. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.

oooooo, update and let us know please! What size pipe cutter was it?

Thanks Matt

Been out this evening and noticed a difference. I think you get the most out of it if you change how you hold the stick so that you put your hand around the top of the stick rather than over the top of it....

The pipe cutter was about 4 quid i think from B&Q Here's a couple of pics of it in the packaging so you know what to look for.......

02072009656.jpg

02072009657.jpg

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this.. a good cheap and easy mod.

I found the crimp just needed loosening slightly with a screwdriver to remove as mentioned before. I simply re crimped it with those generic black nail/tack plier removers - the sort everybody has in their toolkit. I have no rotation - perfect and simple.

again, great mod - compliments my new Sachs clutch - much better feel.

• 11 months later...

thought i'd share my findings.

didnt nessecarily know what to expect after doing this, however i always prefer to have a stubby gear stick as apposed to the large long one. i my opinion although it improves the feel of the gear stick to a certain extent, i dont rate it as highly as others. there is no change in the mechanical shift mechanism so dont expect miracles! i done it purely for cosmetic reasons but i wouldnt say its changed dramatically

• 2 months later...