Guide: How to change fabia front ARB

TeflonTom

the first thing to do is to jack up the front of the car nice and high and support it on axle stands, place the axles stands in such a place so as it does not interfere with the subframe

PIC1.jpg

next undo the nut from the anti-roll bar drop link arrowed in picture below, you may need to counterhole the central pin with a t30 torx socket to undo this

PIC2.jpg

now working underneath the car, remove the 4 bolt securing the plate at the rear of the subframe, there are two bolts on each side of the car

PIC4.jpg

next remove the 2 bolts from the rear engine/transimission pendulum support

PIC5.jpg

next undo the 2 bolts secureing the anti-roll bar retaining braket from the subframe, then go to the other side of the car and do the same

PIC6.jpg

now, working from underneath the car, undo the 4 steering rack retaining bolts

PIC7.jpg

next place your trolley jack under the subframe and support to support the weight, this assembly is heavy so be carefull!! subframe retaining bolts arrowed, another two bolts on oposite sides..

PIC8.jpg

now remove the bolts securing the subrame to the underside of the car, there are 4 in total, 2 each side, 1 arrowed here

PIC9.jpg

and another arrowed here.... you will need an extension on your socket to reach this one through the access hole in the track control arm

PIC10.jpg

now carefully lower the whole subframe/track control arm assembly down from the bottom of the car, it only needs to come down about 4 inches in total

PIC11.jpg

it shouldnow be possible to remove the anti-roll bar from the car, it's a bit fiddly but it will come out if you try hard enough, take care not to catch the ends of the anti-roll bar on the track rod gators as these will tear easily.....

now compare your anti-roll bar with your new one, just to check they are the same shape, also inspect the new item for any signs of damage before fitting

PIC12.jpg

just to illustrate a commonly replaced item, take a look at the way the bush has worn a groove into the old roll bar

PIC13.jpg

once you are happy it is the right part, fit the bushes to the bar using the supplied grease, then refit the clamps...... note: the retaining clamps are handed.... make sure that they end up back on the same side of the car you took them off!!!! i did this wrong to start with, it's easy to do because they look the same.... also note that the bolts securing the bar can be tightened before raising the subframe back into position.

PIC14.jpg

now, assembly is just a reverse of the strip down procedure, i decided to fit new drop-links to mine, they cost me

• Like 1

yes, :iagree: but i was thinking more about the people who may read this guide who just wanted to change thier bushes.... i'm going to edit the post sightly in the morning.... i'm not doing my 4 wheel alignment till after i've done my bushes and fitted my fsd's tomorrow

the only other thing i omitted to mention is that on models like the 1.4 and 1.2 where the exhaust system passer under the subframe rather than over the top like the diesels and the 2.0, it will be necessary to remove the exhaust and/or cat first

• 2 weeks later...
Look out for the update,

"How to fit consoles with Ibiza wishbone bushes fitted"

;)

Does that include the section on not being able to get the old ones out and shattering the console ;)

Does that include the section on not being able to get the old ones out and shattering the console ;)
Yeah, also a sub section on making sure the tool you have is the right thread ;)

yes i know..... i'm an idiot:D

• 2 weeks later...
How do you determine when it's 'gone' and if it has, would you buy the standard one instead of the Eibach one?

Also - why haven't I broken mine yet :rofl:

I was advised that my ARB was on its way out when i was having my suspension sorted.. something to do with a sleeve being split that will eventually be letting the arb move side to side and knock

They are pretty robust on the vRS, the non-vrs ones are prone to failure tho.

Hmm I wonder when mine will drop off then - 61k on the clocks, most of it with some fettled power on tap, and it's gone up a fair amount recently again.

Also different engine going in may have an impact? (by knocking stuff about)

Hmm I wonder when mine will drop off then - 61k on the clocks, most of it with some fettled power on tap, and it's gone up a fair amount recently again.

Also different engine going in may have an impact? (by knocking stuff about)

It might be worth getting it changed while the engines out... as you can see it aint a easy job.

• 10 months later...