Engine changes 1.6 to .......

I have a 1.6 Felicia Pickup (Fun) and would like to give it a bit more grunt.

I've been reading all the stats and data in the thread about the use of Fabia parts in Felicia engines and have come to the conclusion that I would have to spend big money to get any worth while increase in performance. What I would rather do is change the engine for a larger CC type and then do slightly less modification to that engine to sharpen it up a bit.

I would like to stay VAG so no random and strange engine changes are on the cards but what I want to know is what engines will go in without massive engine bay modifications. I don't mind doing a bit of chopping about but would like to keep it to a minimum if possible.

I've read that some one on the forum is do a similar engine swap running throttle bodies, any information from them would be great.

Also another quick qusetion, which Felicias can with central locking? I'd like to fit it to my car and it makes sence to use a system already used on the car. Or would it be better to just by a kit?

Thanks

Matt

A "family" transplant would be an old Mk2 golf GTi 8v engine.

Take the head off it (117bhp) and transplant onto a mk3 gti 8v 2.0 bottom end,

voila 170ish bhp

So a Mk2 GTi 8v head onto a Mk3 bottem end will go. Why not just keep the Mk3 head on?

Would this need any extra wiring, I don't expect it to all just plug in but will I have to splice looms together?

thanks

to be honest you're not going to get anything else in there unless you do a cut'n'shut on the engine bay

Like I said I don't mind doing it but thats only if I can't get away without doing it. Your the chap who's build the throttle bodyied VW engine arn't you? Which engine are you running? Or is it a secret! :rolleyes:

it's not built yet.... and it is a vw engine yes... 1.6-16v lupo gti engine... it's going to be a bugger to fit that too, and that is the same width as the aee 1.6 engine......

you may be able to get away with fitting a mk3 golf engine, but you would have to use the felicia diesel gearbox/driveshafts because the ones off the petrol engined cars have a different shape bellhousing

also you would have to fabricate a totally new right hand engine mounting bracket and use some of the bits from the diesel engined felicia because the mk3 golf gti engine isn't mounted the same way, and the bolt holes where the engine mounting bracket is is where the timing belt tensiner is on the golf engine..... good luck

So a Mk2 GTi 8v head onto a Mk3 bottem end will go. Why not just keep the Mk3 head on?

Would this need any extra wiring, I don't expect it to all just plug in but will I have to splice looms together?

thanks

why not keep the mk3 head? cos its S IHT.....

does not breath as well as the older 1.8 item. gives 150bhp (when new) and thats 20bhp down on the oldhead/new block combo

Just a quick one, do either of you helpful chaps know if the VR6 engine runs a completly differnt gearbox to say the Mk3 2.0 8'v engine

why not keep the mk3 head? cos its S IHT.....

does not breath as well as the older 1.8 item. gives 150bhp (when new) and thats 20bhp down on the oldhead/new block combo

Ah well more power is what i'm looking for!

the difference between the mk2 and mk3 head is negligable, they are basically the same, same size valves, both sidedraught... the only main difference is the way the fuel injectors are mounted, the mk3 head has larger intake ports which accept the fuel injector which is mounted in the manifold, but on the mk2's including the k'jet and digifant the injector is in the back on the cylinder headand sprays into the port.... other than that most of the power change is due to the mk2's having a hotter cam

Just a quick one, do either of you helpful chaps know if the VR6 engine runs a completly differnt gearbox to say the Mk3 2.0 8'v engine

the vr6 has a totally unique gearbox to the rest of the ve engines, so it wont fit the 2.0... interestingly enough tho, the v5 and 24v v6 engines are compatiable

its guna be hard to put andthing in that bay, that skoda didnt intend to go in there. the felicia engine bay is like no other.

i have a 1.6. its a vw engine not a skoda (like the 1.3). there is plenty you can do to that moter, cam, exhust, induction, porting, super charger, etc......

i am told you can evan get the dam thing chipped.

i say stick with it, and bolt some more fruity stuff on.

its guna be hard to put andthing in that bay, that skoda didnt intend to go in there. the felicia engine bay is like no other.

i have a 1.6. its a vw engine not a skoda (like the 1.3). there is plenty you can do to that moter, cam, exhust, induction, porting, super charger, etc......

i am told you can evan get the dam thing chipped.

i say stick with it, and bolt some more fruity stuff on.

re fruity stuff- see my last post in the 1.4 felicia thread for some AEE cam info:thumbup: