Octavia Estate boot trim removal

Noticed the other day that when I opened the boot, water was dropping into it from somewhere. Thought it might be a bad seal on the window, but this afternoon worked out what the problem is. When I went to wash the rear screen, water came out of the jet, but I could also hear a trickling noise inside...open boot and there's water inside plastic trim of tailgate. The pipe must be loose somewhere...so how do I get to it to sort it out? I don't want to just force the trim off, as I know that the clips can break, so does anyone know the best way to get access behind the top part, where the washer pipe is? Or where the clips are so I can gently prise the trim off...do I have to take all the trim off, or just the top part (which is the bottom part when the boot's fully opened!)

Can't wash rear screen until sorted (apart from with bucket and sponge), so after a couple of days it might be hard to see what's behind me..:)

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Hodhead, I have just had to do this on my estate, but the water was leaking under the cd changer (there is a connection between pipes here) is it dry there? you might want to check here too. Taking the trim off shouldnt be difficult but the trim clips can break, i broke one on mine but ordered a few repalacement ones from skoda for 'future modiifications'!

Had to do this after "losing" one of the number plate bulb holders inside the tailgate!

It's amazing just how tough those plastics are! Take the big one that's over the bottom of the tailgate off first, and expect to need a helper to support some of the weight when putting it back on! There are clips all the way round it, and a couple more in the middle.

Hi Hodhead, I have just had to do this on my estate, but the water was leaking under the cd changer (there is a connection between pipes here) is it dry there? you might want to check here too. Taking the trim off shouldnt be difficult but the trim clips can break, i broke one on mine but ordered a few repalacement ones from skoda for 'future modiifications'!

Sweedish

Thanks - already had this one...water was almost up to the CD changer and boot was going a bit mouldy before I found it. This is now well joined together. The leak is definitely from the top, where the nozzle is in the high level brake light. Will have a look at the weekend when the weather is a bit warmer and the plastic less likely to break! ;)

Ken - thanks for the tips. I know that some of the clips can be a bit fragile!

HH

Hi HH,

This is such a design flaw isnt it!!!! well good luck sorting it out, out of interest how did you put the pipes back together? was tempted to glue them!!!!!! or may be put a small jubilee clip around them!?!

i would think a bit of hot glue-gun glue would work better than a jubilee clip, as the pope is pretty tiny and the clip could cause it to deform and leak more.

water was leaking under the cd changer (there is a connection between pipes here)

Cheers for the heads up on where to find this joint sweedish ive been suffering from a soggy bottom and its had me going for a while

Quick look under the cd changer and lo and behold a puddle, it must leak through from there somewhere as the wetness has been soaking into the floor panel

sorted now nice one :thumbup:

I find it easier to remove the top centre trim and then the side trims before removing the main panel. The reason for this is that when you put it back together you don't have problems aligning the tags and cut outs on the main and side trims.

Hi HH,

This is such a design flaw isnt it!!!! well good luck sorting it out, out of interest how did you put the pipes back together? was tempted to glue them!!!!!! or may be put a small jubilee clip around them!?!

Indeed...the pipe seemed to come undone very easily. What with the leaky windscreen seal and this I had a very soggy car at one point. :(

To fix it I think that I just got some duck tape type stuff and wrapped it around the join quite a bit..nothing more scientific than that I'm afraid!!:)

I'm going to have to check it again tomorrow with all this talk of it being sorted!

I find it easier to remove the top centre trim and then the side trims before removing the main panel. The reason for this is that when you put it back together you don't have problems aligning the tags and cut outs on the main and side trims.

If the pipe is leaking from the top though, can't I just get away with removing the top centre trim?? The less I have to remove, the less I can possibly break, which has to be a good thing in my book. I have a past track record of taking things apart and then either not getting them back together again, or having a small pile of parts left over. I'm much more careful now though. ;)

I had a similar problem - I went to wash the back window and was horrified to see the INSIDE of the window being washed! :o

The pipe had fallen off the back of the jet in the high-level brake light. I had to remove the tailgate trim in order to release the brake light, then just push the pipe back on.