National Meet, only days to go → BRISKODA National Meet Info.  |  Blyton Park Driving Centre - Track time.  |  Competitions
Photo
- - - - -

MAF sensor location?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 colkai

colkai

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 13:04

I've got an MPI 1.4 8V Fabia (51 plate) and it looks like the MAF sensor is deffo on its way out. (Sporadic engine light coming on, each diagnostic has returned "implausible value").

Can anyone tell me where abouts I can find the durned thing?

I've seen the guide on cleaning them, but the location referred to the Octavia and even so, there was no corresponding image.

The Haynes manual is all but frikkin' useless and the only diagram I've seen which supposedly indicates it puts it on the big plastic 'feed' from the airbox to the trottle body, but there isn't anything obvious there.

Is it actually within that plastic piping, or directly attached to the throttle body or what? Does anyone have a picture of where it is actually mounted?

Is it easy to get off, or is it a big job? Reading the guide, it sounds like an easy item to replace, once you find it!

#2 VRStu

VRStu

Txt Spk Police

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 13:54

It will be on the air intake I would have thought - close to the airbox however I am not over familier with the 1.4 so I could be wrong.

Should certainly be on the air intake though.

#3 fordfan

fordfan

• Super Moderators
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 19:07

Its not in the air intake on the 8 valve and I am quite sure that there is not a conventional air mass meter. I think the air is calculated using a thrust sensor in the inlet manifold. What exactly is the fault code? and what component is showing an implausible value?, engine coolant temperature sensors are quite a common failing on this engine.

#4 colkai

colkai

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 19:37

I don't have the exact code, the guy at the garage said it was "implausible value", which is what it returned last time they checked it.
The diagram the chap showed me from the Skoda computer doo-hicky had it indcated on the plastic section next to the throttle body, so the presumption is that it's inside it, not on the body itself.

I may take the cosmetic engine cover off myself to see if I can see anything. That great lump of plastic pretty much stops you seeing anything useful, don't see the point to it at all.

#5 VRStu

VRStu

Txt Spk Police

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 19:54

See I said I could be wrong. :p

Good to see I didn't dissapoint you :D

#6 Tech1e

Tech1e

Cruise Control Guru

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,578 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 20:17

No air mass meter on the 1.4 (8v or 16V) they use the manifold pressure sensor and an air temp sensor.

#7 colkai

colkai

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:30

Hmm, well that's odd ,because the garage have ordered a part for it, I wonder if it's the manifold pressure sensor then?

Just found the old diag result, (new one was same apparently), that's thrown me actually because the fault does list MAF sensor as well as a MAP sensor? Full code is 17549 P1141 Load detection: Implausible value.

So in that case, is it the MAP sensor that's failed, is that the one between the throttle body and the manifold?

#8 VRStu

VRStu

Txt Spk Police

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,194 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:49

17549/P1141/004417 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17549/P1141/004417 - Load Calculation Cross Check: Implausible Value

Possible Causes
Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) OR Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71) faulty
Vacuum Lines faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) OR Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71)
Check Vacuum Lines
Check Engine Operating Conditions => Meas. Blocks

Special Notes
Uwe: I think this code is set when the airflow being measured (or otherwise calculated) by the ECU doesn't make sense given other operating parameters such as RPM and throttle opening, manifold pressure, etc.

#9 colkai

colkai

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 16:16

Yeah, as I put it to the mechanic, it's as if the engine does a quick WTF?? moment.
Pretty much down to my being stuck in stop/start traffic for hours on end each day, when I'm using the car "normally", the light goes out and stays out. :)

Downside of all there sensors of course, in days of yore, the car hiccuped and that was that, now it's a palaver as you need to get it checked / reset.
Call me a luddite, but I prefer the Felicia with it's "either I'm running or I ain't approach" to engine management. Far too many electronics these days trying to over-manage the emissions level.

The stupid thing is, this model of the Fabia is in a higher emissions band than my old felly. (rant over :p )

Looks like a MAP sensor is the thing being replaced then?