D M Keith Ltd - Huddersfield.

Well, credit where it's due, I contacted DMK Huddersfield when my service was due towards the end of April. I was quoted an excellent price and after contacting other dealers, I called DMK and booked my car in. Took the car in, service was done at price quoted with no issues. All service updates were applied and the car was washed. I was also told my car was subject to a Škoda recall for the badges and that they'd call me once they got the badges in stock.

Got the call last Monday, car went in yesterday, all done in half an hour.

Whilst waiting I was chatting to the new service manager who informed me that a number of staff had been replaced as part of a shake up, something which seems to have had a positive effect. I will use DMK again and hopefully the improved service will be maintained.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Went to D M Keith Ltd (Huddersfield) to buy a MK3 Octavia vRS Tdi estate it would have been a doddle of a sale with the added extras about a £26k sale, i was treated with indifference i guess they had met their targets that month.

So that coupled with the silly part ex they offered me meant they lost an easy sale.

as a side note getting parking at the dealer is next to impossible 

• 3 weeks later...

Shocking after sales service...

It seems no one at at branch wants to take my complaint seriously. Where do I go next? Anyone got an email address for head office?

The Boss, nice guy and he resolved my issue with Dm Keiths [email protected]   he is based at the York branch, I spoke to him direct 

Try e mailing him..as Bluevrs says Angus is a nice guy, and has sorted problems out that I have had in the past. I`m quite sure if you made contact he would try to resolve your issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Used them for the first time this month. Bought my 2009 VRS TDI from Liverpool so they've not seen it before.

Collected the car from my work place, MOTed it and had it back a few hours later. Fitted a new handbrake mechanism but called to ask in advance. £120 for the part, £40 for the MOT. 

They must be a licensed test centre now looking at the paperwork. 

Staff were friendly. Will be using them again in 2 months when the service is due. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to Angus (or one of the Keiths) as well -

He did pass it down to a staff to sort -

The thing is obviously they cannot accomodate everything u ask for,

But i got free dust caps (all round),

Free Satnav software upgrade,

Free repair at a cracked screw hole.

1/2 of the stuff i complained abt at least :-)

Good luck!

Well... With all the issues I have been having I got Skoda direct involved who liaised between DM keith and myself. Issue sorted and an extended years warranty on an 06 fabia vRS. Happy man. 

Well... With all the issues I have been having I got Skoda direct involved who liaised between DM keith and myself. Issue sorted and an extended years warranty on an 06 fabia vRS. Happy man.

Glad u got it sorted! :-)

Free? Warranty?

Wot was the issue, mate if u don't mind me asking?

Glad u got it sorted! :-)

Free? Warranty?

Wot was the issue, mate if u don't mind me asking?

My car were shaking on Idle. Took them a year to find the issue and replaced many parts! In the end up it turned out to be injectors. Additional years warranty were given.

My car were shaking on Idle. Took them a year to find the issue and replaced many parts! In the end up it turned out to be injectors. Additional years warranty were given.

Not sound very reassuring for a years investigation :-(

Still - a free warranty is good :-)

Next time go somewhere else non-DMKeith?

• 4 months later...

Very average sales experience (e BMW dealership salesman from chatting.) too keen to close and put me off other models, also a little quick on the follow up calls. Can't comment on Service, but felt oily after dealing with sales.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My wife Bronwyn and I have just collected our brand new Fabia Monte Carlo TSI 105 Hatchback from DM Keith's in Huddersfield and so far all we have is praise for the way we've been treated. The Monte was gleaming in the sunshine it being the black over red and it is absolutely spotless. Robert the initial salesman who dealt with us and accepted our order was very pleasant and welcoming but Robert is on holiday this week so we were passed over to Jono who sorted out the collection to our full satisfaction. We were introduced to relevant staff who will look after our future Monte servicing and we just cannot fault DM Keith's in any way. Jono spent quite a bit of time with us running through all the controls which were quite a bit different to our previous Toyota Aygo and nothing was too much trouble to him. We took out the gap insurance; paint protection and bought a spare wheel. 3 years servicing plan is in place. The spare wheel was in place and the big fancy bag of Autoglym products was in the boot.

We've bought rubber mats and also bought a new Garmin SatNav. All in all we are looking forward to the next three years with this Monte which we think looks fabulous. It's a shame to take it out in case it gets dirty.

We are new Skoda owners and so far we are over the moon with the Monte; hopefully the servicing side will prove equally as efficient and we won't suffer the way some forum members have previously suffered; time will tell but top marks all round from us so far; well done everyone we are happy.

Kind regards, Col.

• 9 months later...

Salesman was a typical salesman at the end of the day. That said I'm happy with the dealership. Staff have been polite and to be fair see the to go the extra mile.

I'll be happy to go back for the car servicing in the future and buy from them again.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My wife and I have now had the Monte  Carlo for a year and it's just been brilliant. This week it went in for its first service with around 7,000 miles on its clock and I waited whilst the service was carried out. I was very well looked after by pleasant staff who kept asking if I would like refreshments and I was informed when the Monte was nearly ready. Parking was easy and the showroom has had an extensive makeover. We took out the 3 year service contract and everything was explained to me about the service once the service had been completed. The car remained spotless.The only small niggle I had was that the coffee machine etc is in the waiting area so there was a constant stream of people passing me to reach the refreshments? On the whole though I cannot fault the way I was treated or the way the service was carried out. Top marks from me DM Keith's Huddersfield and should we decide to change our car in two years time so far DM Keith's in Huddersfield is where we are most likely to buy from.

My wife answered the phone and by the time I got to it I just heard the tail end of what sounded like an automated call regarding how the service had been carried out?

Regarding the Monte; I never grow tired of looking at it in its black over red paintwork;  it sure stands out from the crowd and we don't see many of these on the road. The Monte looks lovely and goes well; I've not bothered checking fuel consumption but its not breaking the bank. One dilemma I now face is that usually at three years old we change our car; I've really taken a shine to our Monte and it will be difficult to let it go; I've a feeling the Monte will be a future classic?

Kind regards, Col.

• 4 months later...

I am not a big fan of main dealers but as our car (an 11 plate Skoda Superb) was new to us and under warranty I arranged for it to have its first service under our ownership at DM Keith Huddersfield (Oct 2015).  When we had a VW I found out that main dealers don't remove the wheels during services when we had a puncture and we couldn't get the wheel off so I specifically asked (twice, in two separate calls) for this to be done to avoid the sticky-wheel thing where the alloy corrodes with the steel over time. The helpful service administrator happily agreed to this and said he'd made a note of my needs.

So liaison was all fine on the phone, and they even sent a friendly professional looking man to collect and deliver the car inclusive in the price (which was £300 for 'major service' - such as it is - and brake fluid).  

During the service I was called to say the car needed new brake pads front and rear (with the rear ones reported as 90% worn), new discs front and rear (the existing ones were scored), and brake fluid.  I approved the brake fluid (approx £40) but since the pads/discs were some £400 (this included a 'special discount' apparently), I deferred on that, saying it would have to wait until next month.  All fine, paid the bill, car delivered back and that was that.

The following week I took it to my usual garage which has been servicing my cars for about five years, it's a family business, I see them regularly anyway as their son goes to our kids' school.  I asked them to fix the brakes (unsurprisingly, due to their lower overheads, they had previously given me a cheaper estimate than the £400 DM Keith had offered).  But when I went to collect the car, I got a surprise.  The mechanics told me that they believed the front wheels hadn't been removed because they did not come off with ease (though they couldn't be absolutely certain).  The back wheels definitely hadn't been removed as the mechanic had had to hit them with a hammer to get them off.  Having removed all the wheels and examined the discs/pads properly, they told me none of the discs needed replacing, and neither did the rear pads (previously reported as "90% worn").  The front pads did need replacing, I was shown them later and charged a total of £82.

I phoned DM Keith to confront them with this. The man I spoke to (the same one I'd spoken to before) was professional and did not resort to mud slinging.  He admitted they had not taken the wheels off the vehicle as I had requested, and they had allowed me to believe that they had.  He apologised for this.  I said that I suspected they had not been truthful with me about the condition of the brakes and in any case, how could they have accurately gauged the brake pad/disc condition without removing the wheels?  He stuck to the company's line that they had needed replacing, but offered nothing beyond this.  I asked whether there was any point in speaking to his manager (perhaps they would have given me a partial refund) but when he said no I saw little point in pursuing it so I dropped it.  I said it was difficult to believe his story, bearing in mind that they had already failed to remove the wheels and not told me, that I had never used them before and that I trusted the opinion of the other garage.  He said there was nothing else he could say and it came down to a difference of opinions between the two garages.

That's a charitable way of looking at it, for sure.  There are at least 2 other interpretations - firstly, that they had deliberately deceived me into paying to fix something that didn't need doing.  Secondly, they had undertaken a cursory review of the condition of the brakes (without taking the wheels off), and on the basis of the evidence they had found, decided they were likely to need renewal, and had reported back to me accordingly.  Whichever of the three explanations is true, my belief in the integrity of the place has gone (to the extent that it was ever there).  I don't intend taking my car to them again and am sharing my experience here so that people can come to their own judgments.

• Like 1

I would take my front wheels off and take a picture of the discs, ( not scored ) and send it to them if you do not get good will back I would report them to trading standards, that's shocking 

I am not a big fan of main dealers but as our car (an 11 plate Skoda Superb) was new to us and under warranty I arranged for it to have its first service under our ownership at DM Keith Huddersfield (Oct 2015).  When we had a VW I found out that main dealers don't remove the wheels during services when we had a puncture and we couldn't get the wheel off so I specifically asked (twice, in two separate calls) for this to be done to avoid the sticky-wheel thing where the alloy corrodes with the steel over time. The helpful service administrator happily agreed to this and said he'd made a note of my needs.

So liaison was all fine on the phone, and they even sent a friendly professional looking man to collect and deliver the car inclusive in the price (which was £300 for 'major service' - such as it is - and brake fluid).  

During the service I was called to say the car needed new brake pads front and rear (with the rear ones reported as 90% worn), new discs front and rear (the existing ones were scored), and brake fluid.  I approved the brake fluid (approx £40) but since the pads/discs were some £400 (this included a 'special discount' apparently), I deferred on that, saying it would have to wait until next month.  All fine, paid the bill, car delivered back and that was that.

The following week I took it to my usual garage which has been servicing my cars for about five years, it's a family business, I see them regularly anyway as their son goes to our kids' school.  I asked them to fix the brakes (unsurprisingly, due to their lower overheads, they had previously given me a cheaper estimate than the £400 DM Keith had offered).  But when I went to collect the car, I got a surprise.  The mechanics told me that they believed the front wheels hadn't been removed because they did not come off with ease (though they couldn't be absolutely certain).  The back wheels definitely hadn't been removed as the mechanic had had to hit them with a hammer to get them off.  Having removed all the wheels and examined the discs/pads properly, they told me none of the discs needed replacing, and neither did the rear pads (previously reported as "90% worn").  The front pads did need replacing, I was shown them later and charged a total of £82.

I phoned DM Keith to confront them with this. The man I spoke to (the same one I'd spoken to before) was professional and did not resort to mud slinging.  He admitted they had not taken the wheels off the vehicle as I had requested, and they had allowed me to believe that they had.  He apologised for this.  I said that I suspected they had not been truthful with me about the condition of the brakes and in any case, how could they have accurately gauged the brake pad/disc condition without removing the wheels?  He stuck to the company's line that they had needed replacing, but offered nothing beyond this.  I asked whether there was any point in speaking to his manager (perhaps they would have given me a partial refund) but when he said no I saw little point in pursuing it so I dropped it.  I said it was difficult to believe his story, bearing in mind that they had already failed to remove the wheels and not told me, that I had never used them before and that I trusted the opinion of the other garage.  He said there was nothing else he could say and it came down to a difference of opinions between the two garages.

That's a charitable way of looking at it, for sure.  There are at least 2 other interpretations - firstly, that they had deliberately deceived me into paying to fix something that didn't need doing.  Secondly, they had undertaken a cursory review of the condition of the brakes (without taking the wheels off), and on the basis of the evidence they had found, decided they were likely to need renewal, and had reported back to me accordingly.  Whichever of the three explanations is true, my belief in the integrity of the place has gone (to the extent that it was ever there).  I don't intend taking my car to them again and am sharing my experience here so that people can come to their own judgments.

Great post. Unethical "up selling", as they call it, appears to be common place within the VAG franchise nowadays.

Personally, I shall never use main dealers for servicing ever again. There are plenty of good independents out there.

It's hardly surprising that people have a strong distrust of dealers, especially when they are up to tricks like this.  As you have trust in an independent dealer, go there in the future.

But you need to take a stand.  Reporting this on the Briskoda Forum is a good starting point.  As suggested already, report them to the Trading Standards people.  Also make Skoda Customer Services aware of what has gone on.  You might not get anywhere but getting your voice heard is more important I'm sure.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Our Fabia Monte Carlo is now two years old and has never failed to delight us. I'm full of cold so am grounded today giving me time to add my recent contact with DM Keith here in Huddersfield.

Around two months before its second service was due a warning light appeared on the dash which worried me but the car seemed to be perfect so I phoned DMK for advice; it was the service reminder? We only cover about 7,000 per year so now we had a warning each time we switched on the ignition lasting two months; hardly a disaster but annoying. The Monte is on a service plan and we received not one but two notifications in the same post saying the air con was due to be serviced we also received reminders about the general service in fact I thought this to be way over the top but we didn't take the car in until it was due. When asked if there was anything amiss with the Monte I replied yes at times it sounds like an old man groaning at very slow speed turns; this is common and down to a faulty ball joint so this was replaced without the slightest fuss or problem during the service; the air con service was not carried out and still has not been carried out; this should have been done due to the service contract but not a major issue.

Owning the Monte and driving it over the last two years has been nothing but joy; given its rubber bands for tyres and sports suspension it's rattled and bounced over all the road humps and hit the bottoms of potholes in its stride; it's been like riding a skateboard but in spite of this the Monte has always brought a smile to my face and Bron too loves it. In Black over red it has great presence and always attracts favourable comments. The Monte has never slept out and this alone has meant hundreds of hours cleaning and drying it before putting it away; I have lots of power tools and machinery in the garage so a wet car wouldn't do these any good at all. Unless Monte has been really dirty I've used Greased Lightning Showroom Shine and later Williams waterless car wash to look after it; I've treat Monte like a baby; it's fitted with a dash cam so this means I've never driven it recklessly keeping within the speed limits because the dash cam also records my driving behaviour. The spare wheel has been fitted once covering only three miles when a new tyre was fitted by DMK.

After no end of pestering by DMK for us to attend the Skoda VIP three day event over the last weekend Bron and I were actually getting a bit fed up with all this contact firstly about the servicing and now about the event and with Monte only two years old with a gentle 15K on the clock we weren't interested in letting it go after all we love our Monte. However on Tuesday last week Bron and I visited DMK to have a look at Yeti's this being the model we would like to trade up to should we decide to let Monte go; in the showroom were only three cars and no Yeti's which was disappointing but we were kindly informed at reception a Yeti would be on view shortly so we took a seat and waited; after 15 minutes we wandered into the car park and looked at second hand Yeti's before returning home. Once again although disappointed we could understand because DMK were obviously working flat out getting the VIP event ready.

On Wednesday Bron and I once again visited the showroom but now what a difference; the sales staff had time to talk to us and to make us more welcome; there were two Yeti's on display which we closely inspected and were most impressed by a standard Yeti and an Outdoor Yeti the Outdoor being a 4X4. We returned home and our VIP invitation and badges arrived through the post after all why not go along to see what was on offer after such a massive build up regarding this VIP event? We booked for a Sunday appointment.

Unfortunately Bron was unable to accompany me to the event on Sunday being too ill having a cold and terrible cough so I attended on my own. I went with an open mind but I knew Bron also liked Yeti's and said the black one looked lovely. I did my homework checking specs and prices so by the time I arrived I knew exactly what we could buy outside the event so the event should prove interesting. We had settled on a choice between two Yeti's; an SE 1.2 petrol  or entry level Outdoor 4X4.

I parked Monte and attached the supplied VIP parking permit then headed for the showroom; as I approached it sounded like a disco; all the showroom windows were blacked out by dark drapes; a short tunnel was arranged into the showroom with a long red VIP carpet laid; I was greeted by a very pretty young lady who booked me in whilst kindly asking if I would like refreshments pointing me to a seat. I had no sooner seated myself than Gregg the salesman introduced himself and once again I was kindly asked if I would like refreshments which I politely declined. Gregg invited me to his desk in the showroom corner and I was seated looking directly at the black Yeti Bron and I had previously inspected. Gregg at first was interested in pushing the Skoda special offer of 0% finance with £1,000 discount plus £750 free fuel but Bron and I will never take finance on again and have been cash buyers for many years so I insisted it was a cash only with trade in deal I was interested in? Gregg and I settled down to have a good natter; DMK already had Monte's full record having sold us Monte; Gregg printed out an inspection sheet and together we went into the car park where Gregg noted only two very small stone chips on Monte otherwise Monte was gleaming in the rare sunshine tugging at my heart strings. Back at Gregg's desk Gregg had handed in the Monte report then he asked if I had ever driven a Yeti to which I replied no? Within minutes I was in the front passenger seat of a lovely new Yeti Outdoor Monte Carlo; Gregg drove to a local filling station pulling in at the pumps were we cheekily changed places. At first I couldn't start the Yeti being unaware the clutch needed depressing but soon we were on a very pleasant test drive and the Yeti came up to my expectations; back at DMK I was a bit concerned about parking the Yeti not wishing to damage it due to all the surrounding cars but Gregg introduced me to the parking radar and it was so easy to back the Yeti into a parking space between other cars.

Now it was down to discussing brass; being a born and bred true Yorkshireman this is always serious business? I won't go into personal details about the deal but the black Yeti in the showroom corner I had been staring at was on a big discount but it was an upgraded SE L 2.0 diesel in metallic black magic with leather interior and would be supplied with paint/upholstery protection if I was willing to be flexible? I said it depends on the trade in allowance against Monte? Gregg asked if I had been checking Monte's trade in value so I quoted between two figures; DMK valuation was actually below the lowest figure but given Monte's outstanding condition and low mileage the lower figure I quoted was acceptable considering the big discount already showing on the Yeti's windscreen. Oh dear Poor Monte will have a new owner from Friday this week; Gregg and I shook hands on the deal and I handed over £1,000 cash deposit. Apart from Gregg initially pushing the Skoda special offer with finance I wasn't pressured in any way; very little haggling was involved because I knew what I wanted and knew how much Bron and I wished to spend; this Yeti obviously cost more than an SE but was within our budget so a good deal all round which I'm pleased with.

On Monday I arranged the free five day Skoda insurance cover note allowing the Yeti to be taxed on Friday this without the slightest problem; next I phoned LV to transfer Monte's insurance and was most surprised by how easy this was and was amazed I was only charged just over £34 especially since the policy still has 10 months to run so the Yeti is actually a lot cheaper to insure than expected and with annual road tax at £30 it's hardly going to bankrupt us.

DMK are dealers out to make money and profit but this doesn't stop striking a good deal with a bit of give and take; it's easy to nit pick but Bron and I have no problems in buying from DMK here in Huddersfield and all being well our next car too will be supplied by DMK. Our Fabia Monte has been such a delight it has converted us to Skoda; the new owner of Monte will get a wonderful car which has been cherished by us.

I've rambled on a bit but thought I'd add my story; knowing what Bron and I wanted and going about it politely we've ended up with a deal we are happy with; much better than going head to head with a salesman trying to split a penny? DMK looked to be doing brisk business during the time I was there; as a final parting Gregg asked if I would like to attach the large sold sign to the Yeti's windscreen with my name on it?

Well done Gregg you did well and thank you DMK for making me feel so welcome.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Our Fabia Monte Carlo is now two years old and has never failed to delight us. I'm full of cold so am grounded today giving me time to add my recent contact with DM Keith here in Huddersfield.

Around two months before its second service was due a warning light appeared on the dash which worried me but the car seemed to be perfect so I phoned DMK for advice; it was the service reminder? We only cover about 7,000 per year so now we had a warning each time we switched on the ignition lasting two months; hardly a disaster but annoying. The Monte is on a service plan and we received not one but two notifications in the same post saying the air con was due to be serviced we also received reminders about the general service in fact I thought this to be way over the top but we didn't take the car in until it was due. When asked if there was anything amiss with the Monte I replied yes at times it sounds like an old man groaning at very slow speed turns; this is common and down to a faulty ball joint so this was replaced without the slightest fuss or problem during the service; the air con service was not carried out and still has not been carried out; this should have been done due to the service contract but not a major issue.

Owning the Monte and driving it over the last two years has been nothing but joy; given its rubber bands for tyres and sports suspension it's rattled and bounced over all the road humps and hit the bottoms of potholes in its stride; it's been like riding a skateboard but in spite of this the Monte has always brought a smile to my face and Bron too loves it. In Black over red it has great presence and always attracts favourable comments. The Monte has never slept out and this alone has meant hundreds of hours cleaning and drying it before putting it away; I have lots of power tools and machinery in the garage so a wet car wouldn't do these any good at all. Unless Monte has been really dirty I've used Greased Lightning Showroom Shine and later Williams waterless car wash to look after it; I've treat Monte like a baby; it's fitted with a dash cam so this means I've never driven it recklessly keeping within the speed limits because the dash cam also records my driving behaviour. The spare wheel has been fitted once covering only three miles when a new tyre was fitted by DMK.

After no end of pestering by DMK for us to attend the Skoda VIP three day event over the last weekend Bron and I were actually getting a bit fed up with all this contact firstly about the servicing and now about the event and with Monte only two years old with a gentle 15K on the clock we weren't interested in letting it go after all we love our Monte. However on Tuesday last week Bron and I visited DMK to have a look at Yeti's this being the model we would like to trade up to should we decide to let Monte go; in the showroom were only three cars and no Yeti's which was disappointing but we were kindly informed at reception a Yeti would be on view shortly so we took a seat and waited; after 15 minutes we wandered into the car park and looked at second hand Yeti's before returning home. Once again although disappointed we could understand because DMK were obviously working flat out getting the VIP event ready.

On Wednesday Bron and I once again visited the showroom but now what a difference; the sales staff had time to talk to us and to make us more welcome; there were two Yeti's on display which we closely inspected and were most impressed by a standard Yeti and an Outdoor Yeti the Outdoor being a 4X4. We returned home and our VIP invitation and badges arrived through the post after all why not go along to see what was on offer after such a massive build up regarding this VIP event? We booked for a Sunday appointment.

Unfortunately Bron was unable to accompany me to the event on Sunday being too ill having a cold and terrible cough so I attended on my own. I went with an open mind but I knew Bron also liked Yeti's and said the black one looked lovely. I did my homework checking specs and prices so by the time I arrived I knew exactly what we could buy outside the event so the event should prove interesting. We had settled on a choice between two Yeti's; an SE 1.2 petrol  or entry level Outdoor 4X4.

I parked Monte and attached the supplied VIP parking permit then headed for the showroom; as I approached it sounded like a disco; all the showroom windows were blacked out by dark drapes; a short tunnel was arranged into the showroom with a long red VIP carpet laid; I was greeted by a very pretty young lady who booked me in whilst kindly asking if I would like refreshments pointing me to a seat. I had no sooner seated myself than Gregg the salesman introduced himself and once again I was kindly asked if I would like refreshments which I politely declined. Gregg invited me to his desk in the showroom corner and I was seated looking directly at the black Yeti Bron and I had previously inspected. Gregg at first was interested in pushing the Skoda special offer of 0% finance with £1,000 discount plus £750 free fuel but Bron and I will never take finance on again and have been cash buyers for many years so I insisted it was a cash only with trade in deal I was interested in? Gregg and I settled down to have a good natter; DMK already had Monte's full record having sold us Monte; Gregg printed out an inspection sheet and together we went into the car park where Gregg noted only two very small stone chips on Monte otherwise Monte was gleaming in the rare sunshine tugging at my heart strings. Back at Gregg's desk Gregg had handed in the Monte report then he asked if I had ever driven a Yeti to which I replied no? Within minutes I was in the front passenger seat of a lovely new Yeti Outdoor Monte Carlo; Gregg drove to a local filling station pulling in at the pumps were we cheekily changed places. At first I couldn't start the Yeti being unaware the clutch needed depressing but soon we were on a very pleasant test drive and the Yeti came up to my expectations; back at DMK I was a bit concerned about parking the Yeti not wishing to damage it due to all the surrounding cars but Gregg introduced me to the parking radar and it was so easy to back the Yeti into a parking space between other cars.

Now it was down to discussing brass; being a born and bred true Yorkshireman this is always serious business? I won't go into personal details about the deal but the black Yeti in the showroom corner I had been staring at was on a big discount but it was an upgraded SE L 2.0 diesel in metallic black magic with leather interior and would be supplied with paint/upholstery protection if I was willing to be flexible? I said it depends on the trade in allowance against Monte? Gregg asked if I had been checking Monte's trade in value so I quoted between two figures; DMK valuation was actually below the lowest figure but given Monte's outstanding condition and low mileage the lower figure I quoted was acceptable considering the big discount already showing on the Yeti's windscreen. Oh dear Poor Monte will have a new owner from Friday this week; Gregg and I shook hands on the deal and I handed over £1,000 cash deposit. Apart from Gregg initially pushing the Skoda special offer with finance I wasn't pressured in any way; very little haggling was involved because I knew what I wanted and knew how much Bron and I wished to spend; this Yeti obviously cost more than an SE but was within our budget so a good deal all round which I'm pleased with.

On Monday I arranged the free five day Skoda insurance cover note allowing the Yeti to be taxed on Friday this without the slightest problem; next I phoned LV to transfer Monte's insurance and was most surprised by how easy this was and was amazed I was only charged just over £34 especially since the policy still has 10 months to run so the Yeti is actually a lot cheaper to insure than expected and with annual road tax at £30 it's hardly going to bankrupt us.

DMK are dealers out to make money and profit but this doesn't stop striking a good deal with a bit of give and take; it's easy to nit pick but Bron and I have no problems in buying from DMK here in Huddersfield and all being well our next car too will be supplied by DMK. Our Fabia Monte has been such a delight it has converted us to Skoda; the new owner of Monte will get a wonderful car which has been cherished by us.

I've rambled on a bit but thought I'd add my story; knowing what Bron and I wanted and going about it politely we've ended up with a deal we are happy with; much better than going head to head with a salesman trying to split a penny? DMK looked to be doing brisk business during the time I was there; as a final parting Gregg asked if I would like to attach the large sold sign to the Yeti's windscreen with my name on it?

Well done Gregg you did well and thank you DMK for making me feel so welcome.

Kind regards, Colin.

So you bought a diesel but you only do 7000mile a year? Make sure you take it for a good blast out once in a while so you don't get any dpf issues

Hi pee81,

Many thanks for your very useful advice; although Bron and I don't do a great mileage each year lots of our trips out are to places like Meadowhall so the Yeti should be OK getting regular runs of 25 miles or more each way but you are so right about low mileage and dpf problems especially those who buy diesels then only do short school runs?

Tomorrow is the big day when we collect the Yeti which we are looking forward to; I've upped the insurance to 10,000 miles per year; with it being a diesel I think it's going to be used more?

Kind regards, Col.

Hi pee81,

Many thanks for your very useful advice; although Bron and I don't do a great mileage each year lots of our trips out are to places like Meadowhall so the Yeti should be OK getting regular runs of 25 miles or more each way but you are so right about low mileage and dpf problems especially those who buy diesels then only do short school runs?

Tomorrow is the big day when we collect the Yeti which we are looking forward to; I've upped the insurance to 10,000 miles per year; with it being a diesel I think it's going to be used more?

Kind regards, Col.

Sounds like you should be ok then if you like making trips to medowhall, me and the Mrs have been considering a yeti for our next car but after she had a sit in one (might have even been the one you bought) she too worried how big it felt compared to our Fabia.

Hi pee81,

If you and your wife visited DMK here in Huddersfield during the VIP event then it's likely you would have inspected the Yeti Bron and I bought; there were two Yeti's in the showroom ours being in the furthest corner next to the office. I can understand your wife's concern regarding how big a Yeti is compared to a Fabia; I felt the same way whilst sitting in a Yeti for the first time; it seemed huge but in reality the outside dimensions if I'm correct show the Yeti to be about 3" wider and 12" longer than our Fabia? My concern after the Yeti test drive was in parking back at DMK; as you know the parking there is tight and I was in the top of the range brand new Yeti not wishing to damage it; I'd have been happy to simply drive straight in to one of the bays but Greg suggested I try backing the Yeti in and this then gave Greg the chance to demonstrate the rear parking radar which is very good; this was the very first Time I drove a Yeti but I parked it easily enough so I'm sure with a bit of practice parking will become even easier. The Yeti feels a great deal taller than our Fabia allowing us to step across into it rather then step down into the Fabia.

A test drive gives only a brief evaluation of a vehicle but I was most impressed by the Yeti; our Fabia is the Monte Carlo with sports suspension and low profile tyres giving a very firm ride; possibly the Yeti will be more gentle over what are known as roads around Huddersfield? From first sight of our Fabia I always loved it but I'm sure the Yeti will give equal delight once it settles in with us. It beats me why manufacturers have discontinued adding a spare wheel; I won't drive anywhere without a spare wheel even if it costs extra; we bought a spare wheel with the Fabia and although only used it once I was glad of it whilst in Morrison's car park the Monte having picked up a huge metal spike in a tyre.

Bron and I are retired but we enjoy trips out in our car; Bron likes the stores so we visit places like Meadowhall; Boundary Mills in both Catcliffe and Colne; we also visit Riggs's Garden Centre near Todmorden these are far enough away to give the Yeti chance to fully warm up; once a month weather permitting I enjoy a trip over to Rufforth Auto Jumble so our Yeti won't be used for only short journeys. When we bought the Monte we discussed a diesel but given our annual mileage settled on the petrol model; we got such a good deal on the Yeti diesel we jumped at it.

May I suggest you and your wife take a good long test drive in a Yeti; you might be surprised by how quickly you both adapt to the extra size but take some money along with you to pay for the deposit on your new Yeti?

Today's the big day; it's Yeti day at last; we collect our new Yeti this afternoon. Welcome to the new Yeti and a very sad farewell to our much loved Monte.

Kind regards, Col.

• Like 1

Hi,

The only problem I had whilst collecting our new Yeti from DMK at Huddersfield this afternoon was that my wife Bron was still too ill with cold and cough to accompany me; I too have suffered the cold and cough but mine is finally getting better. I parked Monte for the last time and wished Monte well by which time Greg had joined me in the car park with a very warm and friendly welcome; Monte's mileage was taken then we headed for Greg's desk. Lots of papers to read and sign regarding buying the new Yeti and trading in Monte; Greg also taxed the Yeti for a year only costing £30.

All this took quite a while; Greg went into every little detail explaining things fully; as I had approached the showroom I wondered where our Yeti was because when we bought Monte new two years ago Monte was sitting looking very pretty just outside the showroom entrance? I was introduced to Ian in the stores; other customers were in the showroom some at desks others in the waiting area;  I had passed a covered vehicle just inside the showroom doors as I entered but thought this must be a new model or something; I was amazed as Greg went to this vehicle and with a flourish unveiled it revealing our Yeti in all its glory; I felt just so proud standing there with a lump in my throat soaking it in whilst other customers were also enjoying the moment; a small touch but thank you so much for this it was the icing on the cake.

Greg and I then climbed into the Yeti where Greg took me through all the controls explaining the stop/start technology and Bluetooth etc which were totally new to me; the basic controls are as in the Monte but this Yeti is much more advanced. With all the formalities sorted out Greg said he would phone us in a couple of days to confirm we were happy and that all was well; with an handshake and best wishes from Greg I was in the Yeti homeward bound to let Bron have a good look at what we had bought; Bron still felt unwell but we had a ten mile run in the Yeti and I can say what a lovely car it is to own and drive; the ride compared to Monte is much more refined and gentle; road problems aren't transmitted into the cabin anywhere near as much highlighting just how firm Monte's suspension was. Bron soon settled in and enjoyed the ride. When I drove away from DMK the average mileage read 22 miles but as we returned home after our run out the average mileage had shot up to 47 and I think as the Yeti runs in and we drive further this will improve even more.

It's easy to come onto forums and complain if there is a grudge against dealers but considering the size of DMK dealership there must be an awful lot of satisfied customers who don't post on Internet forums; Bron and I have no connection with DMK or DMK staff other than being returning customers; we were treated very well indeed when we bought Monte and again today when I collected Yeti; couldn't have been better DMK and thanks once again Greg.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like 2