Letchworth

Herts

SG6 1JU

Tel: 01462 676999

Services: New, Used, Repair

Edited by DGW
Entry updated.

• 2 months later...

:)This is a relatively new dealer. I run a small independent garage/MOT station and have used Progress for parts twice. I've found them to be excellent....always couteous and helpful and they did excactly what they promised. Only weak spot at the moment is that they don't do a trade parts delivery service, but they assured me that is on their list of improvements. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

My wife took her 2001 Fabia to be serviced at Progress Letchworth as the battery light was flickering.

They diagnosed a faulty alternator but assured her it was safe to drive home, and to ignore any dashboard lights or alarms.

Within 15 miles she lost all electric power in the middle lane of the A1(M) at night, in a rainstorm. As there was no hard shoulder there, she needed a police response to move her from the road. We have subsequently been told by other mechanics that it is extremely dangerous to allow a car with a nonperforming alternator to be driven.

The garage refunded her out of pocket expenses, but we have found the managing director (Terence Byrne) to be completely unconcerned by the fact that his garage made such a serious error.

Avoid at all costs.

• 5 weeks later...

My dad had his Fabia vRS serviced at Progress a few months ago and was very impressed with the overall service he received. The car was spotless when it was returned to him.

The only odd thing is that the car had to be taken off site for the MOT.

The vRS is due to be changed later this year and he's got Progress as his first stop for a new Fabia.

A family friend also used them recently and when he told the staff he was heading into Letchworth to do some shopping they dropped him off and insisted he let them know when he was ready and they'd pick him up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I popped in to get 1l of oil for the vRS. Waiting area was very child friendly and one of the sales girls even entertained my two kids for a few minutes (and gave them more than 2 cups of hot chocholate from the machine!)

I'll definitely try them for service - the guy in the service department was very polite and efficient. He signed my details up and even gave me a discount card for future work.

• 2 months later...

Only got my VRS last week but had some concerns about the brakes. Phoned on Tuesday, booked in today and car returned this afternoon (following a clean inside and out, unrequested). They checked and found a recall on an egine code that wasn't done when I bought the car - not happy with Vindis in Cambridge about that - but checked brakes, went to MOT station brake testing machine, compared to other cars and gave it the all clear.

So far, thumbs up for Progress!

Cheers,

Balham

• 3 months later...

Bought my 1 year old TDi VRS from them 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier with the service I received. Bought the car without even seeing it, so was taking a bit of a risk relying on the salesmans word. After placing a deposit on the car i travelled down from Newcastle to collect it, and it was exactly as described ... mint condition. Fair price, and friendly professional service.

Good stuff Progress Skoda.

• 2 months later...

I bought my vRS from Progress Bedford nearly 2 years ago (Letchworth was not open then). There were a couple of items post-delivery that were, shall we say, technically challenging to them but at the time I put it down to them still being in the 'under new management' phase. I had the first service done at Bedford last April and all went fine.

Since then, I have gravitated to Letchworth as they are nearer and will probably have second service done there in April this year.

The one factor I am most impressed with them about is the 'Customer Care'; their staff always smile, are most friendly and make you feel like you want to do business with them.

• 3 months later...

I have used Progress Letchworth to service my Fabia VRS and look forward to my visits there. Great service, friendly staff make you feel at home and that your business is important to them. Am looking at changing to an Octavia Elegance DSG and found them to be amongst the best prices around and with their service its definitly going to be bought and looked after by them. Really nice to see that they really do keep drivers happy. Free valet every time and discount card to keep the prices down. Recommended

• 11 months later...

Bought a new octavia from them and sorry but they were as bad as any other dealer. The o% finance which I had signed up for when purchasing they couldnt print off on day I went to pick up, ended with a 4% Deal instead. Didnt phone me on numerous occasions that they promised to about delivery. Hadnt fitted chrome exhaust as asked as the part was damaged but theyd phone me when it came in, eight months later still no phone call. Great Skoda shame about the Dealer

We have bought 2 secondhand cars from progress letchworth.

First was my dads Fabia Greenline, purchased in November 2009. The whole experience was faultless, and he even got an excellent p/ex price on his Suzuki Alto. He has been back several times with minor issues and these have always been sorted the same day whilst he waited.

Second was my Superb2, purchased in Feb 2010. Again no problems, got a good deal on my old Octy as P/EX. The superb has been trouble free so far, touch wood.

The showroom is a truely friendly place, with free coffee machine and flat screen TV, whilst you wait for any work to be carried out, or for a saleman to become available.

I will not be using them for service though, as I my local garage is much closer and an ex. skoda dealer.

• 9 months later...

My first visit was 2 days ago to order a rear bumper rubbing strip for my Octavia Vrs that I scuffed over Christmas.

I was served by a Mr Paul Goodwin who, I found to be very polite, knowledgable and helpful.

I was assured when the part was in, (about 2 days) he would call me, and true to his word he did today.

I found the showroom clean, well lit, with lots of new models on display.

I also observed the sales staff were very helpful and supportive to other customers, I will be using them

again, a credit to Skoda UK.

Peter

Edited by Silver Bullet

• 1 month later...

I went there on the 23rd (a wednesday) as I had previously rung them and asked them about engine mountings, instead of booking it in for the work without looking and letting me spend £450+ on all new ones the very friendly and knowledgable service manager (Paul) asked me to bring it in for a look. He checked my car over and said they were fine and not to worry - very impartial and he knew his stuff. Excellent dealer and a real breath of fresh air after dealing with Nissan main agents for the past five years.

5/5 and service so good my dad is looking at getting a new Skoda from them (if the ball and chain allows :rofl: *prays his mother never looks on Brisky!)

• 1 year later...

I bought my car here, and have had no major problems.

They repaired the car under Warranty when the Electric Window motor failed.

I can't say much more on the servicing, as I had the work done elsewhere/

Just thought I should add a favourable review of Progress Skoda Letchworth, even though I've never stepped foot through the door.

I bought my Superb from an Indy in South London, but it orignally came from Progress. Before I bought it I phoned Progress to ask a few questions and they couldn't have been more helpful, talking me through the car's entire history and the warranty work done. And once I bought the car, they stamped and returned my service book to indicate the cambelt had been done (they'd forgotten to stamp it for the original owner).

Anyway, I had to phone them again today as I was having a Parrot Bluetooth fitted and needed the radio code. Again, they couldn't have been more helpful and once I'd got the radio serial number and reg number to Mick in the service department, he duly held on the phone while the system booted and supplied me with the code, saving me a run around back home to check all the service books.

They stood to gain nothing from helping me and could have easily said "Computer says'No'", but they didn't so credit where credit's due :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Ive had two dealings with these guys in the last couple of months.

The first was having the Yeti in to carry out its second annual service. Everything was carried out perfectly and I was treated as a valued customer throughout. Sadly, something I find all too rare nowadays!

The second visit (last week) was to fault find an issue on the car; something that the previous garage had (literally) spent months doing and failed totally! These guys were proffesional throughout. Firstly, Ivan is the perfect example of a customer focused individual. Mick the Mastertech took good time to speak to me and go on a test drive to get a full understanding on the issue. He then had the car on the ramp and was underneath it (visible from the large window onto the workshops from the reception area) along with two other guys within seconds of it driving in. Four to five minutes later and he had identified and rectified the fault!!

As a slight aside, I also spoke at length with David in the sales department - he knows his stuff and Id happily give him the business of my next vehicle purchase.

Total stars and a pleasure to deal with. They now have a new customer for life! If only all dealers could offer this high level of service!

• 2 months later...

I used to use the Skoda garage in Stevenage but now that has gone to an Indy I now go over to Letchworth. Every time I call in for accessories or warranty issues they are always spot on and considering I didn't buy the car from them ( tried but they didnt have what i was looking for ) they are always very keen to help. Sales team are very friendly and really know their stuff, feel a bit sorry for the parts guy at times as he always has a queue and is usually running around like mad! Still always very good. Will be taking my car there for servicing and any other things that arise.

• 2 months later...

Another favourable post from me regarding Progress Letchworth and also Skoda Assist...

I got in the car in the morning and got a warning light up on the dash as well as an audible alarm notifying me that my coolant level was low. Strange and immediately suspect due to the fact that Id checked it the previous weekend when checking the oil level and filling up the screenwash.

Rang Skoda assist. They turned up within 30 minutes. The guywas under the car within five minutes and had the coolant compression test done and fault diagnosed within a further 30 minutes. He couldnt see exactly where it was coming from but he said it was towards the front of the engine bay and was fairly slight.

One further hour later the car was at Progress Letchworth (my chosen dealership) and I was in a courtesy car!

As I went in to the dealership I was greeted by Ivan (who remembered me - not sure if that is actually a good sign!) ;-) Before Id even finished handing the car keys over he'd already looked at outstanding or relevant TSB's for the 1.8TSI on the system and deduced that it could well be a leaking coolant pump. He printed of the information and put it with the job sheet for the techs to see. Sure enough, the following day, it was found to be the issue, pump replaced, issue resolved. Perfect, amazingly efficient service. Car was washed also.

Just before leaving in the courtesy car Id also mentioned to him that the gear knob had gotten some movement in it (slight side to side/twisting movement, no visible way to tighten it up) and lo and behold, when I picked it up it also had a brand new gear knob in place without the issue of the previous one. :)

If Carlsberg made dealerships.....

• 1 month later...

Yeti_Man, you sound like you have some stock in the company ;)

I bought my car from them November this year, brand new Fabia II vRS (as reviewed in my sig). They were very helpful and genuinely offered the best deal while haggling over the price of new car. Finance offer was taken up to take advantage of 3 year servicing deal. The offer was the best available (SWMBO is in financial sector so she checked so thoroughly me teeth hurt!) and it was really problem free. So far I called them twice, once about that redundant side light bulb in main clusters. Spoke with Mike I think and he was really enthusiastic about the car and we had a good ‘ol chat about how good vRS is :D. He said I can have it enabled if I want, just pop around, but I’d have to have LED’s switched off so I said no, thank you J.

Second time I called I was in my paranoid mood (thanks in part to reading and participation in numerous engine failure threads on briskie J ) as I thought I am having fuel in engine oil. Chap (Ian or Ivan)on the other end of the wire was ever so helpful and really concerned and advised me to call Skoda Assist to check the car over. All was well.

I will be calling them shortly regarding switching servicing regime to fixed and reporting slight oil usage. It went from half way up the “A” area to half way up the hatched area in 1900 miles which I think is acceptable.

I am already considering buying Superb Estate 1.8 TSi DSG from them next year in exchange for my 520d

• 4 months later...

Well yet another review from me on these guys. I was booked in for a 30k service and MOT today. I arrived ten minutes early but they were ready to go. By 8am the car was already on the ramp having its oil drained! Initially concerned at the loss of Ivan on the customer services desk but I needn't have worried as it looks like the new guy, Nick is every bit as focused on the customer as Ivan was. :) Within 10 minutes of passing my keys to him he was asking what mods had been done to the car (as id stipulated no ecu updates were to be carried out on the car) and telling me all about his modded mk4 Golf and 225 TT. Most of the techs are running stage 1 maps on their own cars and there was a gathering of three techs at one point checking out the polybushes and H&R adjustable roll bars on the car! Its certainly a mod friendly environment! :)

I watched a decent amount of the service being done through the viewing window - I'd asked for the Haldex oil to be replaced - I saw this get done as well as the engine oil and filter change. All done to a decent standard in my view. MOT was completed on time (passed with no advisories) and I had a good chat to the sales guys once again - was a welcome experience hearing them talking to the customers without the usual bull and pushing of certain money making extras when closing a deal.

The next service is the big 40,000 miles one and I have no doubt whatsoever that it'll be booked in here for it. Overall, a very pleasant experience once again. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

thumbs up from me as well . had work done & mot's as well . have been dropped off in Letchworth & also picked up when work done (no charge) will continue to use & will probable use for future cars

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of progress Letchworth, great customer service but I picked up my car today after having a new engine only to find once home 20miles later they had put far to much oil in.

Just not good enough really.

• 1 month later...

I have had a somewhat time consuming experience with this dealer this week.

The facts are as follows.

My 2010 Superb TDI went in on 1 July to have a front shock absorber replaced under warranty.

The car was delivered back to me by the dealer later in the day. The dealer is 20 miles from me.

When I drove it for the first time there was a strange noise which I had never heard before. When I queried it with them they said their man from the service department had driven it back to me and it was ok!

the next  day I  started to  drive it back to them as agreed for them to look at it and after 200 yards the noise became much louder and several  warning lights re ESP etc came on. The car was ‘undrivable’ and had to be recovered back to them on a low loader following a call out to the Skoda Recovery Service (RAC).

The upshot of all this is that they claim that a bearing had failed and they have now replaced it, admittedly under warranty. How often does a car under 3 years old and with 37,000 carefully driven miles need a new bearing?

I had to drive a basic VW Polo 1.2 litre hire car (the best they could muster) at Skoda’s expense for 24 hours!

I will leave it to others to draw their own conclusions on whether I am a happy driver!