Draining Fabia fuel tank

The fuel filler as an ant-syphon protection system on it.

I am sure I read somewhere on here, that its possible to disconnect the fuel feed into the engine, before the fuel fuel filer and then put the car into ign pos.2, and let the fuel pump pass the fuel into the collecting container.

Be warned, you will need a big container to collect the fuel. Also dont use a plastic one, go for metal. You then need to dispose of the drained fuel in the correct manner, dont pour it down the drain.

Thanks, guys.

Update: have pumped out nearly 5gals but can go no further - perhaps that's the anti-syphon system?

Reason for pumping out is bad fuel.

Full story is that we bought Excellium to run in our boat for a jerrycan, or two, but boat ran poorly. I looked at slow running jet on boat, cleaned a small bit of muck away and it ran a bit better. Thinking the old engine didn't like new petrol's additives cleaning it & releasing bits of gunk in the fuel line I pumped the tank out and put the fuel in the Fabia which has always run well on Excellium. Fabia developed identical symptoms - ran OK from cold but erratically when warm & won't idle.

After removing 5gals, Fabia runs OK at idle, even warm but erratically after a few miles (OK when warm and not moving, though).

The EMS lamp is lit and as the power goes & erratic running starts, the lamp flashes.

My assumption - petrol is contaminated, no idea what with but too much additive, water? Fabia EMS detected poor fuel/emmisions problem and brought in "get you home" program which is actually the erratic/low power "problem". So, although it now starts and runs OK stationary, even hot, the EMS still thinks there's a fault (maybe there is?) and reduces power after a mile or two

Looks like a trip to the dealer to reset EMS. I hope that's all.

I would suggest filling up with a premium fuel to give it a flush through and also trying to establish the cause of the Check Engine Light.

Try having a look in the VAG-COM section where there is a sticky listing people with the tool and who may be willing to help out.

Update.

Took car to main dealer; gave them full story. Found one plug (tri tipped NGK) faulty, put lamp in tank & found no contaminates e.g. water so left fuel, reset EMS and all OK last night and this morning.

Identical fault returned tonight!

I guess all fuel needs to be removed and start again.

A tad disappointing.

Not had to drain a Fabia yet but have drained fuel out of hundreds of other cars during my career. The tank / filler will have an anti-syphon valve in it so you will not be able to stick a tube down it. Disconnecting the fuel feed in the engine bay will take a lifetime to drain and you will not get it all out. Your best bet is to lift up the rear seat cushons and pull back any carpet underneath to see if you can access the fuel guage sender unit through a rubber bung (On most Peugeots and Fords this is how it is done) and then remove the sender unit to drain the fuel. If this is not the case then Im afraid the only other way is to drop the tank to access the sender unit where you need to remove it to drain the fuel out.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Got car back Monday and it seems OK. Petrol tank removed, cleaned & replaced, lines flushed and injection system inspected.

We can but hope, although a test drive showed a couple of minor hesitations. Strange. As of tonight - all OK.

Full marks to Robinsons in Norwich who could not have been more helpful, including loan car (a brand new one, not a pool car) and who even gave us a canister of flushing fluid in case we need it for a similar problem on our boat!