Octavia vRS Common Problems

Sri5

Hi.

please be gentle as this is my first post:)

I am looking to buy my first Skoda, an Estate VRS 1.8T and I am hopeing that you guys can pass some information about the common problems that I should be looking for. I have test drove a few and am certain that this is the car for me although due to small children and a large caravan an estate is essential.

I Have been looking at an 03 Silver Estate

Sounds like a lot of money, would have thought 5k at a garage, less private. Otherwise no real problems, but don't let people tell you they are cheap to run!

Sounds like a lot of money, would have thought 5k at a garage, less private. Otherwise no real problems, but don't let people tell you they are cheap to run!

Having fairly recently bought mine the prices the OP has posted seem to be what they are demanding at the moment, estates are demanding a fair bit over the hatch prices.

EDIT- something else I'd add when going for test drives is don't be put off by engine noise or any slight stutters when the engine is cold. Mine sounds rough as hell when its first started and is quite spluttery unitl the temp is up to around 60'. I thought it had issues but it appears that this is pretty normal :o

:iagree: - these engines often sound a bit tappety when cold; this is usually due the hydraulic tappets not taking up the clearence properly until the engine warms through. Accordingly I'd say it's an advantage, cos they won't do full power and revs until warmed up, making them harder to abuse.

Yeah, I noticed that when I drove one yesterday. About 30 secs of noise - I had the bonnet open at the time too so It was a bit offputting.

I cant find anydecent ones round me for 5k, private or trade but I really need one from garage cos I am part exchaning my usless diesel mondeo with injector problems. I'd feel too gulty too sell it private as It cost around

not sure how it would cope with a caravan, being a small engine with a turbo, might not have the low geared pulling power you need, maybe ask on here if anyone has towed with one. I have covered nearly 40k hard miles in mine(including 2 trips to France from Scotland) and the only probs i have had are some rubber bushes on the front suspension "drying out" and a fuel filter near the rear wheel leaking. The white seats and carpets are a nightmare with kids and I think the heater controls are too fiddly and too low down, other than that its a great car to drive.

cheers

Before my mondeo, I pulled a slightly smaller caravan with a 2.0 petrol vectra and it coped. After driving a vrs I am fairy confident that it has enough low down power to be ok. I generally have to uprate the suspension to cope though but with the vrs being stiffer anyway I might be ok.

I am not adverse to using the engine revs anyway, 3rd gear on the motorway at 60 when towing is not unusal for anyone!

Yeah, the colour of inside was the first thing I noticed when I opened the door!!

Yeah, the position of the heater controls (well Climatronic in my case) is my biggest issue with the ergonomics. Saying which I can usually just set the temp to 18C, control to automatic, and leave it to get on by itself.

The exhaust centre section mounting breaks. Some effect a repair with large jubilee clips or a bit of welding or the more expensive option of replacing the centre section.

Radiator mounts is one problem that comes up regularly on this forum, as do noisey anti roll bar bushes.

People seem especially nervous about failure of the cambelt and waterpump with the plastic impellor, but unless you are particularly unlucky, so long as it is replaced before the recommended mileage/date, all should be well.

• 3 months later...
:iagree: - these engines often sound a bit tappety when cold; this is usually due the hydraulic tappets not taking up the clearence properly until the engine warms through. Accordingly I'd say it's an advantage, cos they won't do full power and revs until warmed up, making them harder to abuse.

I'm glad you said this.

Just moved my car into another space and the engine sounds very "tappety", bit worrying but if it's normal then it's all good. :cool: