MSB Skoda - Darlington

DGW

Update re #49 above - the cost of the service (as invoiced to Skoda UK by MSB and copied to me) was only £109.66, which I think is very good value compared with some prices I have seen mentioned elsewhere, eg on the Yeti forum.

Well done again, MSB!

• 3 months later...

I've bought many, many cars from MSB in Darlington. I always find them down to Earth, honest and open whilst offering great deals and fair trade in prices whilst, as I've said, everything is done in an honest and transparent manner. The dealer principal, Malcolm, is very much 'hands on' during the purchase process and also crucially in any after sales dealings. I always speak to Mike in sales who is again quite simply honest and trustworthy and never puts any pressure on you to make a decision. A genuine nice bloke who always has time for you - to be fair all the sales guys are friendly and approachable.

The Service Department are always willing to listen and show determination and competence when sorting any problems you may have whilst their pricing seems to be very competitive. In summary MSB are the best dealer I've ever purchased from and I would recommend them without hesitation.

Just as a finishing note, I took delivery of my 18th car from them today which is probably a recommendation in itself. :happy:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Last week we went back to MSB as my wife decided - for family reasons - to swap her Suzuki SX4 4x4 for a smaller, city car (we still have a Yeti, which will meet our larger, 4x4 needs). She fancied a Citigo and although we had seen a temptingly priced ex-demonstrator with all possible extras fitted at Simpson's of Preston, we were able to negotiate a fair deal on a new car with Steve Hillary and avoid the hassle of trips to and from Preston. A couple of days later, my wife decided to change her order from a 3-door to a 5-door model, at which time we noticed an error on the invoice - MSB had overcharged us by about £300. On phoning, the error was immediately accepted; a phone call later confirmed the order change; and the following day an amended paper order was received in the post. All this is in stark contrast to the complaints I made about lack of communication when buying my Yeti a couple of years back. So, MSB - and one salesman in particular - has learnt and improved! As others have commented here, Malcolm Black himself always takes the time to greet you. All in all, a friendly dealership and I am quite willing to pay a few pounds over prices I might get elsewhere in order to suppport a local (ish: 35 miles from home, but we do live in the middle of nowhere!) business.

• 6 months later...

Collected my new white 1.8 L&K Yeti last week - on time as promised, speedy handover (the only 'toy' that needed explaining was the panoramic sunroof - otherwise everything the same as on my previous Yeti). Once again. Malcolm Black made a point of coming across to wish us well with the new car and to assure us of immediate attention to any problems should something arise. Our car was apparently new salesman Martyn Walker's first sale - he was very pleasant to deal with (though a bottle of bubbly to celebrate this event might have been good!).

• 9 months later...

I recently bought my 2014 MKII Fabia vRS from MSB and the staff seemed OK albeit sometime clueless. This was the second attempt at buying as the first attempt received now follow up phone call from the first sales person. The first attempt I was looking at a Monte Carlo but then opted for the vRS instead.

Still waiting on a delivery date for my new car so hope that this is not to far out. I managed to blag a set of mats and the first service for free….. :happy: .

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to the above. All good on the day of pick up (apart from me forgetting my paper part of my driving licence...........DOH!). Mike the guy who sold me my car was good craic and explained eveything in detail and also helped me set up my phone and took me through all the controls in the car (forgot most of them as there are a few......LOL).

A nice touch by the General Manager who popped over to thank me for the business and also to let me know if I need anything then just ask.

All in all a good deal seen right through.

Waste of time , steer well clear . . . went in to enquire about new vRS , salesmans first question was "are you wanting to place order today" when I told him I wanted to know how much my current vRS was worth first and what deal they could offer he just didn't want to know , he didn't even go and look at my car . . . he was just not bothered , more bothered with his dad ringing his mobile , I got up and walked out , very poor service from MSB so off to Middlesbrough to Slacks ;)

no wonder there was only me in the showroom . . . says it all

Edited by Monte Carlo Mart

• 1 month later...

Bought my current car from msb was given £700 more for my old one and got a great discound. Cant fault the service, i used to work for another skoda dealer in the area and now i work for msb things will only get better :drunk:

• 9 months later...

My wife took her Citigo in for service yesterday.  Noticed when she got home that on the checksheet they had given a tyre-tread measurement for a spare wheel - and this is a spare-less car with the squirty gunk!

It just makes me wonder how many other items were ticked without any actual check taking place?

• 1 month later...

So I've had the car now for 1 and a half years (11 reg 1.2 Fabia) When I bought it I dealt with A guy called Greyham who was great, friendly, polite all round nice guy as you would expect from a salesman really, had a quick look at my Pug when I took it in and gave me a very reasonable price for it and put a full years MOT on the Fabia. Unfortunately they only put £6 of fuel in the car but that didn't bother me as I took the Pug in on fumes anyway. I took it in to get some mudflaps fitted and they got it done in reasonable time with no problems whi ch I was happy with. Then I found that the drivers side door was leaking water through the outer seal and onto the inner seal (not into the car its self) when it rained hard or I washed it and when I'd open the door it would wet the seat, I took it back and they adjusted the door immediately and solved the problem. Then, 2 weeks after the warranty ran out the B pillar door trim (black part) started to flake off on the front door so I took it back and the guy n the service desk said that he'd never seen that happen before and I would be best off just painting it. (I took it to VASSTech and the vinyl was less than £5 plus £20 labor) Now I went to buy some wheel bolts and they only had 7 when I went in there, (How do they even end up with 7?) so I said I'd come back, which I did, they then said they didn't stock lock nuts! So I said I'd take just the normal ones for now and come back for lock nuts. That'll be £76... No way am I paying that to get some bolts, plus the locking ones? Having a laugh. Went to VASSTech and they've ordered them for just over £90 for the lot (normal and lock (still expensive but cheaper than them)) I take my car to VASSTech for all its servicing ect so have nothing to report from the dealer from this side of things.

So my review is this is a good place to buy a car, but after that go to VASSTech (they have a branch at Northallerton and a branch 1 mile away from MSB) as you get good, friendly and cheap service from them in my experience. The car gets thrashed and fingers crossed it has been no bother other than those tiny little niggles above. I might buy another car from MSB (if I decide to go with Skoda) but I will never visit them for anything else again, their after sales service has totally put me off going there now.

EDIT: New review. If the car you're taking in is decent then don't expect to get anything for it, salesman will gouge your eyes out to get every last bit of service history off you after telling you that maintenance doesn't matter on a car and will look over your car with a fine toothed comb to find anything he possibly can to knock the price down, then he will ask you for the original wheels and expect 10 year old wheels to be in perfect condition and then take 3 days to change a set of wheels, not ring you back after calling them 3 times and then make sure you have to go in on his day off because he is too much of a coward to meet you again.

I seriously hope VASSTech get a showroom and become a franchised dealer!

Edited by Outofthi5world

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just for information, MSB Skoda has been bought out and is now Bristol Street Motors Skoda, still in the same place though. Due a service with them this month so will see if it's any different.

Yes, in fact I think this thread should get some mod attention to either alter the title to respect that or replace the topic altogether.

Anyway, I went in there today, got good service from a new salesman who offered me a decent price on my car and we provisionally agreed upon a sale due to the fact that the new car is somewhere else in the country. So that's getting brought down for me to look at and test drive and we'll go from there. The staff seamed happier in there than when they were under the old management too so we'll see how this goes.