Octy 1 vRS Removing Rear Door Trim/Panel

RobClubley

Rear door - Removing panel

Here's a quick guide on how to remove the rear door panel.

1. Remove the seven torx screws from around the edge of the door. If in doubt, ask a cat to help you locate them.

DSC05937.jpg

2. Pop out the plastic holder for the electric window switch and remove the connector. Also disconnect the speaker (tweeter)

DSC05938.jpg

3. Remove the crosshead screw from under the door handle. When re-assembling, put this in first so you can easily retrieve it if you drop it!

DSC05939.jpg

4. Pull the trim away from the door handle - this can be hard to remove but just keep gently pulling perpendicular to the door and wiggling it until it works

loose

DSC05940.jpg

5. Remove the big screws from each end of the door handle

DSC05941.jpg

6. Optional - shout at the cat to get out of the car

DSC05942.jpg

7. The door panel should now be loose, held in only at the top

DSC05944.jpg

8. As you can see from this picture the top of the door is a U shape. This sits in a groove under the window. Push the top part of the door upward to get it out of the groove. Mine was pretty well settled in and I had to reach up underneath and push upwards at the top to avoid damaging the door. I found that opening the window made it a little easier.

DSC05946.jpg

9. Once you have it loose you can reach behind and disconnect the wire for the door handle. When you put the door back together it's important to connect the hook to the handle and clip the collar into the plastic clip. If the door handle flaps about and doesn't work, the collar is not clipped in.

DSC05947.jpg

Here's the door in its naked glory!!

DSC05945.jpg

Re-assembly is pretty straightforward!

10. Optional final step - check you have the correct number of cats outside the car before going to get yourself a well-earned cuppa.

DSC05951.jpg

• 3 months later...

I am plagued by the same problem. I have identified the problem to be the wire to the electrical windows. But I do not know how to cure it! :mad:

But theese pictures was a BIG help. :thumbup:I have tried getting the door-trim lose two times, but no success. I will try again when christmas is over.

Olit

Rob, how are the two parts of the door panel held together (the white mesh part and the black plastic panel)? Would they be easy to separate?

IIRC they are kinda welded together - some tabs sticking out from one the two pieces of plastic melted to the other.

Should be easy enough to separate, but maybe hard to join again.

• 8 months later...

Is it possible to remove the doorhandle trim without damaging it? It is very difficult to get a good hold of if and thus i tried with a narrow screwdriver.. Mistake. Now there are some cracks in the edges. I got fed up and just put everything back together.

Put some insulating tape around screw drivers and prise it a bit at a time around the edges, don't try pop it off in one go. Also maybe use 2 screw drivers, when you get 1 in place then you can use 2nd to lever plastic on first.

• 2 years later...

Many thanks for this Rob. I've had to replace my door mirrors after the car was vandalised and your description for the back door works fine for the front door too. One point I noticed was that the plastic bits fixed to the metal frame which take the small screws retaining the trim panel to the door (two back and front and three at bottom on the front door) slide and it is possible to knock them out of place. So if you find the screws just spinning when you try to tighten them it may be that you have not stripped the thread in the plastic but that the plastic bits are not quite in position to take the screw. Irritatingly it is possible to unscrew the mirrors by just removing the triangular plastic trim piece above the main door trim but you will need to remove the whole trim to get to the plug and socket for the electrics even though it is tantalisingly close to the hole. As for removing the door handle on the front door I used a dinner knife which is flat and broad so tends not to damage the surround. For the front door starting at the back of the handle seemed to work best - the front seems to be tucked under the surround slightly.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...