BEEP - temperature red light

vrshicksy

People,

Stupidly last night I didn't put my car away in the garage and left it out, got out to it this morning at a very cold and dark 6am to head off to work and it was frozen solid :( Staretd the engine and started to de-ice the windows on outside, once I got back in to the car i noticed the red thermostat type temperature gauge light was flashing at me (looks like a thermometer with some red lines next to it on left hand side of dash) Thought this was just due to it being cold and so turned it off and turned on again (the old if in doubt reset the PC and it works again method!) and it didn't come back on again, HOORAH! However, am a bit concerned that something is going / has gone wrong with the engine?

This happened before when I was on holiday up in Scotland in January this year and we had some snow, just put that down to the super cold weather and it wasn't used to it?! Again turned it off and on again and the light and beep didn't come on!

Can someone put my mind at rest please as I am a complete doooshbag when it comes to mechanics!!

Cheers,

Hicksy :thumbup:

I guess it could be a fault with the sensor. On a recent thread I reported that I have just purchased a Fabia 1.4MPi for my wife and that has been exhibiting similar symptoms to those you describe. In this case, though, it's not necessarily the outside temperature that's causing it. The temperature warning light comes on when the car is pointing down a steep hill (sometimes it's when we switch the engine on while parked on a hill, other times it comes on when driving down a hill and hitting the brakes). In recent days it has started doing it when switching on the engine on a flat surface too. The actual temperature gaueg, though, reads just fine.

I have purchased some coolant and will top it up at the weekend. Will let you know if that sorts it. Otherwise, it could, indeed, be temperature-related, or it could be a faulty sensor.

Is the warning light supposed to warn that the temperature of te engine is too high, or does it indicate the coolant level is too low?

I hope somebody else can be more helpful, but thought I'd let you know that there is somebody else with a very similar issue.

Is the warning light supposed to warn that the temperature of te engine is too high, or does it indicate the coolant level is too low?quote]

I've got no idea :(

Just in case there's any confusion, it's not the friendly "beep" you get when temperature outside reaches below 4degress, it's the angry "BEEP" simialr to when you're running low of fuelage!!

Cheers

.. once I got back in to the car i noticed the red thermostat type temperature gauge light was flashing at me (looks like a thermometer with some red lines next to it on left hand side of dash) Thought this was just due to it being cold and so turned it off and turned on again..

Ditto here.

It looks like a lot of us are experiencing it due to the cold weather. Haven't had chance to check anything over so far this week but I'm cleaning the car tomorrow so I'll have a poke around and see if I can spot anything that might cause it.

Just in case there's any confusion, it's not the friendly "beep" you get when temperature outside reaches below 4degress, it's the angry "BEEP" simialr to when you're running low of fuelage!!

Cheers

Not in mine. The low on feeding is a louder and angry beep, the "its cold outside innit" one is a friendlier, cool jazz piano style "ding", and the trip computer stays glued to the temp instead of where I left it - usually average MPG because I'm tight.

People,

Stupidly last night I didn't put my car away in the garage and left it out, got out to it this morning at a very cold and dark 6am to head off to work and it was frozen solid :( Staretd the engine and started to de-ice the windows on outside, once I got back in to the car i noticed the red thermostat type temperature gauge light was flashing at me (looks like a thermometer with some red lines next to it on left hand side of dash) Thought this was just due to it being cold and so turned it off and turned on again (the old if in doubt reset the PC and it works again method!) and it didn't come back on again, HOORAH! However, am a bit concerned that something is going / has gone wrong with the engine?

This happened before when I was on holiday up in Scotland in January this year and we had some snow, just put that down to the super cold weather and it wasn't used to it?! Again turned it off and on again and the light and beep didn't come on!

Can someone put my mind at rest please as I am a complete doooshbag when it comes to mechanics!!

Cheers,

Hicksy :thumbup:

you can actually fit your car in your garage? :rofl:

My Skoda does this every 250 miles orso and then I have to fill it up 0,7liters(sorry i'm a metric lad) G12 coolant.

I have a petrol 1.4Mpi Ive been to the dealer twice now first to replace the gasket on the thermostat(i think) 2nd for an overheating engine(fan failed)

I rang them up after they renewed the gasket and I had to refill the coolant.

The reply was that there was still air in the system, wich sounds fair.

This morning(after 250 miles from the fill up) I had to do that again.

I don't have any muck in the expansion tank, so the head gasket problem is out.

I've had a look around the engine and radiator but I see no leakage, I'm at a loss now.

This car is 6 years old now and has about 55k miles on it.

Does anybody have a clue?

If you read the manual it says the light you are all talking about beeps to indicate both low oil level and oil level temp . As such if the oil is too cold it will sound, wait until the temp increases, turn the ignition off then on again and the light will go off. i get this. Manual has the answer people...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it is all the same thing. I have a 1.6 Octavia and I have noticed that if the water is ever so slightly low that light comes on and most times you only need to add less than a cup of coolant/water. It might however indicate a leak in the cooling system. With mine it was what the garage called "water connector" mine has 2 an inner one and the outer one I guess