Gearbox oil ... when to change ?

Hi guys.

Having decided that my skoda felicia is possibly the best car ive ever owned (to date), I would very much like to make it last as long as possible.

I take good care of all my cars and she is no exception:

Ive changed the spark plugs, coolant, 4 new tyres, battery, engine oil + filter every 5000miles, new pads and discs, got valve clearences spot on, and replaced airbox with an induction kit.

Left wheels standard for max MPG.

I have now turned my attention to the gearbox.

How often should you change the gearbox oil ???

... does it get dirty at all ???

40 000 miles according to Haynes (Maybe I should change mine twice, just to be sure ;)) G/box oil doesn't really get dirty as such, it's the contact with high temp & exhaust gasses that contaminates engine oil. After time, the high pressure additives break down in g/box oil, hence the need to change it, the only contaminants usually being minute particles of the synchro cones that wear slightly in normal operation. These are expelled when changing/draining the oil.

Flush the cooling system thoroughly and use g12+ lifetime coolant mixed 50:50 with de-ionised water, you'll need about 6 litres (3 litres of g12+). This will save you the effort of changing that until a problem occurs, like head gasket failure, radiator leak etc.

Haynes says to change the brake fluid every year (for the Favorit), but the Skoda manual says every 2 years. I think Haynes expects people to maybe take longer to do the things it says than they should.

I think a common problem with these cars is the linkage wearing out, so if you have a floppy kn0b (the gear one) it may benefit from an overhaul, but I think it's more a case of whether you can put up with it or not.

I have all the bits needed to overhaul my linkage (am considering getting the gear stick incase the ball joint is worn). Just need an entire day or so to get it up on the ramps and take it out. Prefereably with longer day light hours than at present. Can't seem to get anything done by getting up at crack of dawn, without it going dark at the moment.

Gear oil is £2.49 in Wilkinsons for 2 litres, but you need about 2.4 litres for a full re-fill.

Thanks Psyzygy! I know where the drain plug is, so ill get on and buy some fresh oil soon.

hope you get your spark issue sorted soon, sounds like a headache. :thumbup:

A word of warning, from long experience on many cars...

CHECK YOU CAN REFILL THE BOX before draining it!!!:(

Psyzygy is spot on though-40,000 miles is average:)

A word of warning, from long experience on many cars...

CHECK YOU CAN REFILL THE BOX before draining it!!!:(

Psyzygy is spot on though-40,000 miles is average:)

If on some cars the facility to refill the gearbox is not provided, then surely the car manufacturer does not not believe it is necessary to change the gearbox oil ?

Otherwise a facility to refill the gearbox would be provided ?

:confused:

Steve needs to beware of the smell - its horrible - hold your breath!

I'd read this before and it didn't seem all that bad to me. Not a great smell but not all that over-bearing get me outta here.

Left wheels standard for max MPG.

...however the right wheels are 19" alloys for 'cruzin' the tesco car park.

Anyway, it seems as though the solution would be to purchase a technically proficient nice smelling woman and enslave her until she agrees to change my oil, thus satisfying both smell and hand size criteria.

The smell is rancid for sure.

I changed my passat gearbox oil at 125k, and the improvement in slickness and smoothness of change was remarkable.

I'd only consider Quantum branded oil from your local Skoda/VW/Audi dealer. :)

...however the right wheels are 19" alloys for 'cruzin' the tesco car park.

Anyway, it seems as though the solution would be to purchase a technically proficient nice smelling woman and enslave her until she agrees to change my oil, thus satisfying both smell and hand size criteria.

:rofl::thumbup::P

If on some cars the facility to refill the gearbox is not provided, then surely the car manufacturer does not not believe it is necessary to change the gearbox oil ?

Otherwise a facility to refill the gearbox would be provided ?

:confused:

I Meant that you should check that the refill hole/plug can be opened so that you don't end up wi a box that's drained,but can't be refilled.

Sorry if I wasn't clear:thumbup:

I love my Skoda Felicia too and will prob get the gear oil changed as it crunches gears sometimes.

My uncle drove my Felly whilst his Vectra 1.8 went in for a winter service, new front tyres and brake pads. My Uncle didn't like it that much saying the brakes felt weak and that the skoda badge lacks "prestige" when I said I'd replace my Felly with the Fabia VRs or an Octavia

Don't think he was driving it economically either as its just nudged 150 and its on a half tank.

But he has hi Vectra back now and my Skoda is no longer being "abused" :D

I love my Skoda Felicia too and will prob get the gear oil changed as it crunches gears sometimes.

My uncle drove my Felly whilst his Vectra 1.8 went in for a winter service, new front tyres and brake pads. My Uncle didn't like it that much saying the brakes felt weak and that the skoda badge lacks "prestige" when I said I'd replace my Felly with the Fabia VRs or an Octavia

Don't think he was driving it economically either as its just nudged 150 and its on a half tank.

But he has hi Vectra back now and my Skoda is no longer being "abused" :D

The only prestige a Vectra has is that most people who drive them are Sales reps or uninsured ch*vs.

Sure skoda doesn't have much prestige, but FFS man, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. In this instance a Vectra is definitely a glass house.

True.

When he bought it off the garage he gets his car serviced at it was an ex courtesy/rental car changing from a M plate Cavalier

(A 51 Reg Vectra 1.8 LS by the way) befor the "square lights" model

Been in a front end shunt and you could tell it was repaired.

Was back in that garage quite a few times after as the a/c didnt work and some other minor things. everything works now but the engine still sounds "gruff"

Just bought after I got my Skoda and he thinks he got it cheap.

I have driven said Vectra and I didn't like it as the Cav felt better imo.

In fact the 1.8l Ecotec engine may be the cars best feature!

He wants a Merc next. :rolleyes:

His main arguement being Girls don't like Skodas

Granted a "Skoda" badge doesnt have that much prestige compared to other brands. But quite a few girls on here like and drive Skodas ;)

A little off topic! but there you go