Wrong Car Tax Band - What to do?

cedge

Hope this reads right and that someone can offer some advice.

We own a 1.4 Comfort, 100bhp Manual Fabia Hatchback, Y Reg (2001), Air Conditioning model.

For some reason our V5 states that our car outputs 187g/km, the vehicle enquiry page on the DVLA site confirms this which puts us in the E bracket at £210 (rising to £260/270 over the next couple of years thanks to Mr Darling), however Parkers states that it's the Auto model which is 187g/km, the non auto model is 170g/km which is also backed up in the technical data booklet in the car document set along with the manual i.e. the only 187g/km hatchback in the Auto model.

I contacted the DVLA last week about the matter and they said I would need a certificate form the manufacturer to confirm the mistake. I therefore contacted Skoda and eventually one of the staff went away and confirmed that my car was indeed in the Band E bracket with 187g/km emiisions.

I'm now wondering how she found the data i.e. did she plug my car reg into the DVLA website :rolleyes:.

I'm trying to pin down what Kw my car is as then I can pin it down to a particular model in the technical data section of the manual in order to go back to Skoda with some more evidence.

Does this sound logical to you experts or should we just except that our lowly 1.4 is in such a high tax bracket?

I think they used to sit in the old band C at £145?? when the emissions bands came into play

when it used to be bands A,B,C,D and E

With separate prices for Petrol and diesel models. So it wouldnt suprise me if older models sat in the higher band.

My cousin just bought a 1.4 16v Fabia that was registered before the emissions bands came into play so his tax is £120 for 12 months.

My 1.6 is the full fat £185 this year

*edit* I'm sure in one year may have been 2004 where the 1.4 8v was in band C and the 16v was Band B????

Every manufacturer seems to make minor tweaks every now and again which seems to shift diff models into diff bands.

You need to find the the individual certificate of conformity supplied with each vehicle. Skoda Auto should be able to get you a new one if need be.

Volkswagen UK were very accommodating when I requested build dates and original build specs for a 1967 Beetle.

I would suggest sending a nice letter to the head of customer services.

Got this from Parkers web site.

Date of Registration 6 Months 12 Months Band

1 May 2001 – 1 Jul 2003 £93.50 £170.00 E

1 Jul 2003 – 1 Sep 2004 £79.75 £145.00 D

Rates effective from March 2009

1 May 2001 – 1 Sep 2004 £96.25 £175.00 H

Rates effective from March 2010

1 May 2001 – 1 Sep 2004 £99.00 £180.00 H

What was the month of registration? My car is a late March 2001 and as such it just scraped into the CO2 banding, which means it's now £120 per year.

My V5 still has my pd100 engine CO2, and it says 132 g/km, so this is what yours should be, being the same reg and engine. :)

If your car is a Feb or prior Y reg, then it will be under the old CC tax rating.

What was the month of registration? My car is a late March 2001 and as such it just scraped into the CO2 banding, which means it's now £120 per year.

My V5 still has my pd100 engine CO2, and it says 132 g/km, so this is what yours should be, being the same reg and engine. :)

If your car is a Feb or prior Y reg, then it will be under the old CC tax rating.

Y reg didn't come in until March 2001 since they were already doing twice yearly plate changes at that point. Basically if you have a car with a Y prefix, or a new style registration plate you will be taxed on emissions not engine size.

I know that I am in the tax bands (Jul 01 was the cars production date), that's not the issue, its the case that we have been put in Band F with emissions of 187g/km but the only hatchback fabia in the technical data book with these emissions is an Auto and parkers also confirms that it should be actually around 170g/km and in Band E.

Does this make sense?

It comes up at 187g/km but like i've said this doesn't correspond to the Skoda technical manual which lists only the Auto as having an emission of 187g/km and not the Manuals. The Parker's website information also has a different value for the manual as opposed to the auto transmission.

Someone could have entered it wrong to begin with, perhaps?

• 1 month later...

The CO2 results you get now, are only used to pass/fail your car and have nothing to do with the VED band. The VED band is calculated when the car is new.

Following on,

There are 2 versions of the 1.4 16V engine,

The CO2 figures for these are as follows (Non Aircon variant) so for A/C add a bit more.

1.4 16V - 75BHP Manual - 182

1.4 16V - 100BHP Manuel - 158

I hate the government! I think my car is quite green and I drive it as such! Mine is A/C so maybe it is right :( Who knew AC would cost an extra £40ish a year!

They don't measure CO2 on the MOT, they measure CO which should be around 0 in a catalyst equipped car, hydrocarbons and the air:fuel ratio (lambda).

You will find the power output of the engine in KW on the data stickers.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my wife's 2002 Corsa

The manufacturers declaration at production to the DVLA was actually a higher CO2 than it was supposed to be , making it a higher tax band

I contacted Vauxhall , who basically did not say I was wrong , but the certificate they had supplied to the DVLA was a legal document and basically they would not change it.

I think personally this is due to the backlash i.e. imagine if they changed it , and all the owners of these vehicles since 2002 would want a refund on their road tax over payment , the costs would be overwhelming !.

Basically I didnt get anywhere with it and had to put up with the higher tax band ( or sell the car !) , but I agree it is totally annoying when the manufacturer has made a mistake and we have to suffer for it , and the DVLA are not interested.