DIY Door Sealing Tutorial - Costs less than

ultra_joel88

ultrajoel88, do you mind if at some point we transfer this to the wiki as an example guide ?

This wiki business: I have a couple of guides to contribute if someone tells me how...?

Excellent. As it stand at the mo the wiki needs a few config changes doing to allow images etc.

We have a dev system which we've developed the basic structure on... so as soon as Colin sorts the config ......

Exellent guide :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love guides they are so useful yet so entertaining at the same time :rofl: Or is that me just being sad :D

I know the effort involved with guide writing and its a nice feeling to get some positive comments back for your hard work.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

It's a great guide, but I'll be completely honest and leave myself open to abuse. What's it for? When or why would I need to do this? (serious question, not taking the mick).

Dave.

• Like 1

It's a great guide, but I'll be completely honest and leave myself open to abuse. What's it for? When or why would I need to do this? (serious question, not taking the mick).

Dave.

The Fabia is very prone to leaking door carriers :thumbdwn:

This is the same as the last official Skoda fix I saw. Still personally dont think its as good as repairing with the sealing cord. The only problem is but not taking the carrier off and removing the old foam seal completely from the back of the carrier water always finds a way past the back of the sealer.

Also when the window regulator breaks it turns a hour job of changing it into a days worth of work getting the carrier off and cleaning it all up.

...when the window regulator breaks...

:)

I like that!

When I did my rears I loosened the carrier bolts and forced some gunk in and around the seal too... whether thats a good thing or a bad thing I don't know but hasn't leaked since! yippee!

just an FYI - the part number for the door card pop rivets is: N 91078801

have a rrp of £0.29 each plus VAT. works out at £3.41 for ten including VAT.

must admit, we use roof/gutter/bitumen sealer when we get fabia's with leaky door cards in too. the stuff skoda say to use is absolutely crap.

Tink

Just to add to the guide. To get the door handle off alot easier theirs a small hole under the handle. Insert a long screw driver and you can unclip the rear clip of the part that contains the electric window switch. Once unclipped it just pops out without any possible damage of the trim.

Other than that good guide. :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Thanks for taking the time to do this tutorial. I have a problem with my front passengers side electric window so i need to take the trim of to have a look at whats wrong.

This guide is brilliant for the taking the bottom section of trim off but i really can't see how to get the whole piece of trim off. Something is still attached/clipped along the top edge along the glass. I have undown the star screw in the door handle area, but the whole piece just won't come off and i am frightened i might brake something by struggling further. The door lever and maybe the central locking pin thing might still be attached.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I have done so many searches and your guide is teh best but not complete for my purpose!

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a very good guide. :thumbup: I agree this thread should be moved to the 'Technical Guides' section.

I looks very simular to the one on Fabia-vrs.com site Fabia-vrs.com/technical-info - Door Carrier Repair

Mine leaked when I first got the car and I had it done by Skoda under warrenty.

• 5 months later...