Engine coolant temperature sensor

Hi All,

My engine management light has come on and after reading the codes, i get P0118 for the engine coolant temperature sensor.

If i clear the fault I get trouble free motoring for a couple of weeks, but then the light comes back on. So i suppose its time to change the sensor.

The car is a 1.9 TDI 130 skoda superb.

Does anyone have the part number?

Are there instructions on how to change the part?

Thanks in advance!

Paul.

Think you will find it may be same as the Octavia

Have a check as that is 4 pin green now

Part number 059 919 501A

The Fabia ones are different and hardly have any problems

So I am assuming it is the Octavia one

May be worth checking it out first

When the engine is cold of course

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I changed the engine coolant temperature sensor with help from a mate. This job needs a second pair of hands as you can’t reach for the new sensor and the tools you need whilst removing the old sensor. If you choose to do this yourself you do so at your own risk. Make sure the engine is cold!

The old sensor has part #078919501C, whilst the new sensor has part# 059919501A you are also best to get a new o ring and a new clip just in case. If your coolant is on minimum, you might want some more of that too.

1. Remove engine covers

2. Remove under tray - both parts

3. Unclip large hose to allow room to work

4. Remove electrical connector from sensor using flathead screwdriver – best done from underneath

5. Remove sensor retaining clip - best done from underneath

6. Remove old sensor and quickly put your finger in the hole to stop coolant leaking – best done from above

7. Remove the finger bringing with it the old ‘o’ ring quickly place another finger in the hole to prevent further coolant leaking – best done from above

8. Remove finger and quickly place new sensor (fitted with new ‘o’ ring) into place – you will lose a bit more coolant – best done from above

9. Fit the new clip

10. Re fit the wiring to the new sensor

11. Refit large hose, engine covers and under tray – job done

Here is an image of the engine bay from the offside, the sensor is circled in red

engine.jpg

Here is a close up photo of the sensor

sensor.jpg

The car now runs better, I am getting a higher mpg - maybe the engine was running rich with a dud sensor?

Much thanks to my mate for all his help :D

Any questions please ask away.

• Thanks 1

Nice one

Glad you got it sorted

Yes as the old sensor is worn , it can think that the engine is cold when in fact it is hot , so therefore it has if you like the choke on , which can flood it a bit much

Nice you got your economy back

Good pics and write up too

Sarah

Thanks for the replies.

A couple of days on and I realise how nice it is to be free of the ECU light and a funny message that kept coming up on the maxidot "Emissions Workshop!" I guess that was due to running rich for extended periods of time.

Have a good weekend :thumbup:

Hi there thanks for this post and the details of the cure as I am looking at a similar problem.

the fault code is slightly different P1256 -35 -10 Intermittent

Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62) open or short to Plus

but the root cause is clearly the same - time to see my local independent - thanks once again

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the location of the coolant temp sensor on the 130PD engine? I read through the thread but couldn't find an exact answer.

Someone said behind and under the EGR valve?

Does anyone know the location of the coolant temp sensor on the 130PD engine? I read through the thread but couldn't find an exact answer.

Someone said behind and under the EGR valve?

Here you go

Thanks Gizmo, just been to look under the bonnet and I hate to say it but mine looks different. Can't see anything resembling the sensor behind the engine like in your photos.

I got my torch in there though and came across what looks like the sensor on the right of the engine as you look at it. I think it looks like the correct part, but black not green as you mentioned in the other thread.

What does anyone think? Does that look like the coolant temp sensor?  (Sorry just realised the circle I drew on the first photo is tiny but it is there!)

post-127008-0-01578700-1432751637_thumb.jpg

post-127008-0-08483400-1432751698_thumb.jpg

Edited by harrris303

You are in the wrong forum, hence the confusing answer.  Our "Superb" engine is mounted with the belts at the front, hence the coolant sensor ends up at the back.  That looks like more or less the right place, but I don't know that engine.  Maybe ask in the Octavia forum.

• Like 1

You are in the wrong forum, hence the confusing answer.  Our "Superb" engine is mounted with the belts at the front, hence the coolant sensor ends up at the back.  That looks like more or less the right place, but I don't know that engine.  Maybe ask in the Octavia forum.

Oh right ok, I didn't realise they had different engines. I would've posted in the Octavia one but didn't think there was much point starting a new thread when this one was so relevant to my problem (or so I thought!)

Cheers.