100_0292.jpg

i've cut down the ends of the bar, i think i underestimated just how 'hard' this arb is, it took a full 20 miniutes of sawing with a hacksaw with a new blade:O

sanded off the powder coated surface in preparation for welding, and bent the brackets that Pinky-McSkud kindly made for me, also i need to make some spacers to go between the bracket and the beam

Edited by TeflonTom

100_0294.jpg

all welded now :D

i've removed the arb and dropped it off to be powder coated

the cost so far is still not changed, but i'd expect a friendly fabrication firm would do that for about a tenner, and i estimate about £20 to have those brackets made

so lets say roughly £43 so far

Edited by TeflonTom

you mean a gusset??, yeah that would work, you wouldn't have to worry about clearance for the fuel tank like you do on the mk2 golf either... the space inside the 'legs' of the felicia axle only has the exhaust and the spare wheel recess, so there's plenty of room

yeah, i only put them on there to use as a jig for welding to hold it in position, i'm going to get some decent high tensile ones that go through the shock like normal then go through a spacer then through the arb, then a nut on the end

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

do you guy's mind telling me what is the purpose of this?... i'm sorry to be a duft, but when i go up a hill in a corner my rear wheel lift up due to the H rear Axel, and i though that i did not need a roll bar since there is not a lot of lateral movement like that...

any way, fitting a skinny bar to a huge axel doen't look like it make a big difference in driving stability

i would love for someone to answer, cus i love learning new things (and my friends are'nt realy mechanicaly inclined)

Although there isn't a lot of movement in the rear axle there is some and the anti roll bar acts as a spring to hold it straight and resist any flex.

It probably doesn't make a huge difference but paired with stiffer suspension etc it would.

Phil

i have just finished fitting a mk4 R32 golf front ARB to the rear beam of a felicia.

the idea is that the bar is not a brace to stiffen the beam. but a spring to control the twist.

the standard rear beam is VERY twisty, i can twist it 4" by hand. but the R32 ARB is so stiff i can only move it 0.5" by hand.

the ARB is as it came off the R32, i even kept the inner mount rubbers and clamps, so i can replace them with standard ones if needed.

but the rear beam has two mounting plates welded on to match the slightly modified standard inner rubbers. and two little brackets welded behind were the shock bolts in, there for bolting in the ends of the ARB.

Cool.

Good job!

So os there no stiffer bar that will slot into place of the original without trying to fit a longer one to attach to the bottom of the suspension too?

Phil