Cutting wooden railway sleepers

fluffy01016

I've been doing soem DIY at my new house and I've pulled up some old railway sleepers (x20) and I am hoping to burn them in my log burner. They are quite rotten and only fit for burning. They are covered in creosote and as such I am only going to burn on my closed burner. My question is how would be the best way to cut them up? I bought a Ryobi 33cc chainsaw but it blunts the chain very quickly. I've also tried a mitre saw but the blade is not big enough to cut through without turning it over. What would be my best option? A purpose made chainsaw blade perhaps??

You could try using log splitters to break them down a bit before sawing into shorter lengths - then a good quality 'disposable' coarse cut hand saw will last a fair while. If they are the sort of very hard hard-wood that sinks in water & tarred & full or iron debris too - that'll blunt/clog just about anything.

As you said, get a decent chain, and a file - as long as there's oof in the chainsaw, a good chain makes so much difference. When the chain looks a bit blunt, fire the file in a cordless drill and that makes resharpening the chain a much quicker job.

It's also easier than you think to cut through them using a "bushman" saw - but can be very disheartening!

Just watch for splinters from that stuff; I used to use those for landscaping before they were deemed to be "soil pollutants" and be treated as "hazardous waste", and had to wear gloves after getting a few nasties in my hands.

As Ocygone said, watch for the creosote lining your chimney and turning your house into a large lantern.

Good luck!

Steve

Don't think that will work as I believe they now use concrete sleepers

Mainly concrete - but wood still used ,and believe it or not -steel.

As for selling them to NR -way they're acting at moment -they'd expect you to deliver them , install them and then pay them for the priveledge.;)

I used to work on the railways installing them things, such fun.

Prob not really the best to burn with all the chemicals they've got in them.

But if you are going to cut them up, you'll need a good strong chainsaw, something like a Stihl or something. Thats all we could use cos nothing else could get through them!

Oh and yeah, they do use wood, concrete and steel sleepers, depends on the location and traffic type/amount.

I used to work on the railways installing them things, such fun.

Prob not really the best to burn with all the chemicals they've got in them.

But if you are going to cut them up, you'll need a good strong chainsaw, something like a Stihl or something. Thats all we could use cos nothing else could get through them!

Oh and yeah, they do use wood, concrete and steel sleepers, depends on the location and traffic type/amount.

Are you an Ex Plate layer ??.................I am

Guest musky

I cut up loads to make joints in a garden with a handsaw - can't see the problem. But I would agree about being careful burning them

Have seen someone once trying a disc cutter - lots of smoke.:rofl::rofl:

Quote:ag.morley"..........Wooden sleepers in good condition can fetch £40 upwards "

Strangely enough , only thing that hasn't been thieved past two years .Possibly don't burn too well in caravan stoves :eek:

Not sure what a closed burner is, but if it is one with a fairly small flue pipe, I wouldn't want the risk of them gumming the inside of the flue, plus the residue itself is presumably a fire hazard?

Can't you just have them taken away? Don't think I'd want to burn them either in a posh bit of kit, nor pay for the blades/hardware just to cut them up. That's me that is.

Mo

Edited by heresmo
Edit: Blinking scan running in the background caused typed letters to dop out. Arrggh. No excuse for not previewing though.

I've cut a number of sleepers using a circular saw. It takes two cuts, one on the top, turn it over and a second on the top (was the bottom). This shouldn't be too hard as as precision isn't required.

I wouldn't burn them in a stove or a much wenlock type unless it's in an outbuilding. They stink when you burn them, and you'll just get tar/creosote residue mucking up the flue and it's a bugger to clean off. I reckon you need a new chainsaw if it gets blunted so quickly.

What ever you do DO NOT burn them. Even if you are in a area where burning is allowed, the chemicals that are in the sleepers are considered to be highly toxic and flammable and shouldn't be burned.

You would be better getting someone to take them away for you and dispose of them properly. I know in Scotland as a business we are not allowed to burn anything now that has been "contaminated" with any petrochemical substance. We risk serious fines if we do. It is ok if it is the odd thing but it isn't accepted any more.

If we need to get rid of waste we must be a registered carrier with SEPA and also dump it at the local waste centre and provide them with all the paper work relating to the waste.

IIRC I think England & Wales were introducing something similar.

The fines for anyone caught burning contaminated waste can start around £1000 and go up to an astronomical figure.