Octavia 1 timing belt replacement

Hi! This is my first post ever so patience please...! I have an Octavia 1 1.8 20V turbo first registered in 2001. It has done only 46,000 miles. The timing belt was replaced in 2005. Does it have to be replaced again this year or can it be left until 60,000 miles? I read somewhere that replacement is a £500 job including the waterpump. All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. Does this necessarily have to be a Skoda dealer job or will an independent be likely to have the necessary kit / practice? I'll get onto the dealer who sold me the car and who sold it originally in 01 to find out why they haven't issued an automatic reminder like they do for MOTs and servicing. Having explored the site a bit further I'm impressed - a happening place :thumbup:

I was rather silly and waited until 87,000 n 8 years :o but was probably extremely lucky -

Anyway, just had the cambelt and associated bits done at Stamford Bridge Motors nr York - £240 inc £107 parts n VAT... :thumbup:

He's a great bloke who's been trusted by me n loads of others for years... Highly recommended!

I had mine done nearly a year ago, 80,000 miles since the last time it was done. I didn't do it myself because I didn't have time, but I kept all the old parts and they looked like they could do another 80,000 miles. I've replaced more than a few cambelts in my time and mine showed none of the usual signs of failure, and the pulleys were in A1 condition. I only had them changed because I thought I should.......

im sure my owners manuel that came with my 1.8t 2001 says that it is to be checked at 60,000 and has to be changed by 120,000, and silsbury skoda told me not to bother doing mine till it atleasts gets to 80,000.

i got my belt changed on my 2001 octavia 1.9tdi at 117000 miles thinking it had been done at 80,000 before i got the car and it turns out that it hadnt been changed so ive been lucky! chatham skoda charged me £250 which was the same as couple of independant garages. mind you i need a new undertray but skoda say i need it and my parents local independant garage say i might not need it!

MY 2001 was booked in to do the timing belt 2 weeks ago at 61k miles and the night before the service it went! Now looking for a new engine :( Anybody know how easy it is to replace my AUM with an AUQ engine? I have found an AUQ at a good price but not sure if it is a straight bolt in or some stuff needs doing to hook everything up. Or if i can just take what i need from the AUQ and put it on my AUM. Help much appreciated!

Edited by roguecube