Engine lumpy idle/tickover

Anyone had /have this?

On idle/tickover the engine seems to 'miss a beat', sometimes quite noticeable through the driver seat. The idle does not 'rev on it's own', just sits at aprox 750rpm. Does it when engine is cold or warmed up.

I took it to local dealer,paid for a diag, but because it does not show any fault codes they don't know either!

Car is under Skoda Approved Warranty, but they won't fork out for diagnostic work to be done to find what is the cause.

So far i have changed the air filter, spark plugs,new PCV, cleaned the MAF and replaced all 4 coil packs.Also run some injector cleaner through it.

Anyone with the same problem? Had it fixed? Any help, as it is driving me mad trying to pin it down.:confused:

Edited by markticktock

Quite often it is the alternator 'coming on line' if the battery is calling for more oomph. It will also occur when the a/c is regulating itself, I have noticed. Both of which put additional drag on an idling engine.

• Like 1

Mine seems to do this constantly, even without a/c on or any other device on, like radio etc.

It will also 'miss' while reving the engine and the car stationary.:confused:

If i rev to about 2000rpm then let my foot off the throttle it seems to give a 'silent backfire' as the revs drop. Does this help anyone diagnose the problem?

And the car has only done 22,000 miles !!

Edited by markticktock

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same for me, has always done it over the last 2 and half years. Slightly lumpy tickover and every now and then feels like it 'misses a beat'. From what I've read I just thought this was an FSI trait, possibly down to the high pressure fuel pump at idle revs (750rpm)? When driving or reved above 1000rpm all smooth.

Same for me, has always done it over the last 2 and half years. Slightly lumpy tickover and every now and then feels like it 'misses a beat'. From what I've read I just thought this was an FSI trait, possibly down to the high pressure fuel pump at idle revs (750rpm)? When driving or reved above 1000rpm all smooth.

Mine seems to do this even when i keep the revs at a steady 2000 rpm.

Some times it will be a slight 'miss' about every 5-10 seconds, then another time it will be like every 1/2 a second (bit like 1 cylinder not firing).

I am taking it to another dealer (Capitol Skoda, Newport) on Wed (track rod has play in it) so will ask them to look into it. Will see what happens.

Edited by markticktock
can't spell !!

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone had /have this?

On idle/tickover the engine seems to 'miss a beat', sometimes quite noticeable through the driver seat. The idle does not 'rev on it's own', just sits at aprox 750rpm. Does it when engine is cold or warmed up.

I took it to local dealer,paid for a diag, but because it does not show any fault codes they don't know either!

Car is under Skoda Approved Warranty, but they won't fork out for diagnostic work to be done to find what is the cause.

So far i have changed the air filter, spark plugs,new PCV, cleaned the MAF and replaced all 4 coil packs.Also run some injector cleaner through it.

Anyone with the same problem? Had it fixed? Any help, as it is driving me mad trying to pin it down.:confused:

Mark.

Accepting that you have a more refined engine than a diesel; at work we have a 2.0 TDi A3 (56 plate), a 2.0 TDi A4 (57 plate) and I have a 2.0 TDi Octavia II (06 plate) and they all have "lumpy" tickover. I have had one occasion when the car was clearly missing on a cylinder. I put it down to a sticky valve as after i stamped on the loud pedal it cleared up.

I like the theory that it could be the load that the aircon might be putting on the altenator. I will have a play with this at some point and let you know.

Mark, found this via Google Skoda 2009 Octavia - First drive: Slicker Octavia RS, Scout up Skoda ante | GoAuto it mentions lumpy idle on the TFS.

"Featuring the same flattish seats as the TDI (which go one up on the RS’s better-shaped buckets by offering power adjustment), the TSI is just as lumpy at idle but soon transforms into a responsive, sweet-spinning engine at revs."

Edited by clayts
more info

Well it seems they all do this, some more than others, but unsure why:confused:.

Had a new Golf VI 1.6 petrol as a hire car from the dealer and it too had a slight 'miss', alot less than my car, but then it's not the same engine!

On a side note, i had the N/S track rod replaced by the dealer as it had play in it, now the O/S one has play in it !!! How can this be wear as i have only got 23,000 on the clock:confused:.

My '07 VRS is exactly as you lot describe - really quite lumpy on idle about 10 secs after start up. Ticks over at 950rpm but feels like its firing on 3 cylinders! Dealer has looked at it twice and insists there is no fault. I have vag-com and this shows no issues either, but I've yet to check the throttle body - I'll try a re-alignment later today (if the Mrs ever gets back from shopping and takes the kids away for a bit - doing my head in today!!).

You're running it on 97 RON aren't you? Even the diesels are known for a slightly lumpy idle where it seems to 'miss' every now and again. Aside from this though, if it was indeed misfiring on idle etc it would be logged as a fault code and it would tell you which cylinder was doing it etc.

Hi,

did you change the DIS? Did you try to clean the TB and idle valve?

Finally, I'd give a clean and some silicon grease to MAF sensor on air intake (look for cage mod).

HTH,

Not sure what the DIS is.

Would like to clean out the throtle body but i think i need to have VAG-COM to reset it (which i don't have).:(

Did the cage mod, no difference unfortunatly.:(

Oddly I was talking to someoine last night who has an A3, they claim that cleaning the Throttle Body will solve the lumpy idle. I found an excellent post on this forum http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/cleaning-throttle-body-1-8t-engine/145866/

Ah, looks like this is for the previous model 1.8 20v vRS. Shame 'cos it looked nice and simple.

I would consider looking at the plugs, when i use to run the Astra Coupe Turbo on vauxhalls standard jobbies it would do this while idling, after around 3000miles of use i would start getting a misfire on boost.

I swapped the plugs out for NGK Iridium plugs and the idle was smooth ever after, with no running issues what so ever.

I think they were a grade cooler running than the standard plugs.

Hope this helps!

Not sure what the DIS is.

Would like to clean out the throtle body but i think i need to have VAG-COM to reset it (which i don't have).:(

Did the cage mod, no difference unfortunatly.:(

Hi,

as for Distributorless Ignition System, I meant something like this (it's in my dad's petrol Veccy, don't know Skoda/VW part details):

Distributorless Ignition System

Ignition Coils

DIS Coil Pack

If you're not so confident to dismantle the TB, at least you should be able to spray some carb cleaner through it from the air intake.

HTH,