ABS Control Unit failure

That sounds like VW when the cars are out of warranty. If they are going to get you to pay 50%, see if you can pay for 50% of the cost price, not the retail price. The dealer gets the part with a discount off retail and has a lower than retail agreed warranty labour rate with Skoda. Also it would be better if your 50% contained within it a cost for the part, the theory being that if you have an invoice for the part (discount is irrelevant), you have proof of purchase for the part and hence the two year standard parts warranty.

As mentioned above Skoda can learn alot from Honda with regard to goodwill. We had a substantial contribution from Honda for a pair of camshafts for a FRV which we sold, though it may have had something to do with our polite and professional attitude on the phone with them. Suzuki though, were like Skoda and did not want to know about an ABS problem on one of their cars that was a few moths out of warranty.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me too, thankfully just inside warranty period (3 years) - a sickener and making me think about whether I want to keep running it, or trade in for a new one with warranty -this is the beauty of warranties, but at a price. so much for "cheap" parts on a cheap-to-run car. If it wa soutside warrant yand they wouldn't budge I'd just stay without ESP and call it a "feature".

the problem is that the abs doesnt work either, which is not good in family car tbh,

I'm still waiting for the dealer to get back to me :(

I dont think it helps my case, that I bought the car privately

Dear All,

I would encourage you to fill in a Vehicle Safety Defect Report from the VOSA website concerning this issue. Go to www.vosa.gov.uk, there is a link to the form which you can download, fill in the details and send back to them.

The more people who submit this will help to highlight that this is relatively common failure for cars with the ESP system fitted and if like myself your car is out of warranty, means a hefty repair bill for a component that should not be failing.

Thanks

Kaj

Paulo,

My car is going in next week. The best offer from Skoda UK was 50% of the cost which was just under £700 but as they quoted me without the VAT I'm now paying £558. This is obviously better than the full hit but I'm really ****ed off that this is a known failure across the VW/Audi/Skoda range. The ESP system is only fitted to the higher spec cars so I think this why they are getting away without a recall.

I would like to take this further as my car has just covered 25K miles. Maybe we can gather enough info to put a case together. Has there been anybody else with the same failure?

I did find a company who claim they can repair them at £195 + Vat but then there is the hassle of stripping it and re-assembly and if problems still exist you are then heading for the dealer for another bill. The dealer are giving a 2yr guarantee with the replacement.

These fancy 'safety' systems are more bother than their worth, I've never had the traction light coming on with enthusiastic driving.

This would put me right off buying a car with the DSG gearbox as anything going wrong is going to be very expensive.

ps I'm also in Scotland (south west).

Hi,

It has taken me about a month to get it sorted but my dealer took care of it all. They had all sort of paperwork to fill in for Skoda Customer services, but got the job done. When my dealer finally came back to me with the 500+ price, I was happy enough, though I did ask for the customer services nr and phoned them directly. CS were very nice to speak to and did assure me that they couldn't do any more for me. They did tell me though that they also took into account that this is the 2nd skoda I have owned.

My car is going in to repair on Tuesday. :-)

Also work remembering is that this part is shared across the VAG group so this problem also affects VW, Audi + Seat. All in all I am happy enough to pay £500+.

I did mention to CS that this problem is widespread and that according to the HonestJohn website a recall is imenint on VW's, but that recall would not be on Skoda's. It all depends on the number of people being affected. Hence, I advise that each person having this issue contacts VOSA, so that they have this logged as an issue on these cars, and maybe a recall will be done soon enough. May not make any difference to me, but may for others later on

Hope my car not go this way in 3 years time! but what about the likes of eurocarparts.com to get priced part cheeper? if VAG are not going to pay up.

Also I will check my unit ABS AM to see what make is fitted, my car was built in August 2008 (engine July) from all the stamps etc. Wonder if they have gone back to Bosch.

James.

Guys,

My car went in for repair today and I have just gotten back from the dealer with a huge smile on my face. Skoda somehow decided to contribute 60%, the dealer 10%, leaving me to pay 30%. The price on the part was also reduced. this left me a bill of £271.03 Boy, I have never been so happy to pay £271, considering the original estimate.

I hope all you guys get a similar deal.

Paulo

Good result and I'm glad you're pleased. Don't delude yourself though - VAG buy thousands of these units and don't pay much for them - parts prices are typically at least 10x build price. VAG will never be out of pocket in a case like this.

Does anyone know who produced this crappy unit?

rotodiesel.

Guys,

My car went in for repair today and I have just gotten back from the dealer with a huge smile on my face. Skoda somehow decided to contribute 60%, the dealer 10%, leaving me to pay 30%. The price on the part was also reduced. this left me a bill of £271.03 Boy, I have never been so happy to pay £271, considering the original estimate.

I hope all you guys get a similar deal.

Paulo

Bugger, mine was done yesterday,I had to cough up £595, I paid 60% skoda paid 40%,

I kept the old one just in case aswell,

Bugger, mine was done yesterday,I had to cough up £595, I paid 60% skoda paid 40%,

I kept the old one just in case aswell,

Sorry to hear that... I was told by skoda Customer Services that they were taking into consideration that this was my second Skoda as well (I had a Fabia vRS beforehand), but that was when I was quoted the £500... so I was very surprised myself... could my dealer have made a mistake?

Sorry to hear that... I was told by skoda Customer Services that they were taking into consideration that this was my second Skoda as well (I had a Fabia vRS beforehand), but that was when I was quoted the £500... so I was very surprised myself... could my dealer have made a mistake?

no, I dont think the dealer made a mistake, the service guy told me that skoda themselves have reduced the price by quite a bit on the part, if I bought the car from a dealer I would of kicked up a fuss, but I didnt :(

never mind I'm just pleased its all fixed :)

Had a call From VOSA today regarding a letter I sent them in relation to our concerns about the ABS unit failure's. They said they were aware of a large number of ABS unit failure's within the VWAG but did not feel that it required a recell as it does not effect the vehicle's ability to operate normally. That their is a visible warning showing a failure of the ABS and that Skoda have been offering gestures of goodwill toward covering some of the cost of the repairs. They also comented that if the repair work is not carried out or put into process to do so as soon as possible then your vehicle insurance may not cover you in the event of an accident because the vehicle does not meet the cover requirements that were accepted for the vehicle. ( Having ABS fitted, & working)

Hope this helps but still not too pleased at the response given.

Also I will check my unit ABS AM to see what make is fitted, my car was built in August 2008 (engine July) from all the stamps etc. Wonder if they have gone back to Bosch.

Some interesting stuff here, even about Bosch:-

Audi ABS pump & ECU modulator/module

FYI mine's a part No. 1K0 614 117 AJ, looking pretty much like this:-

http://www.automotors.sk/detail/790008

Seems to be reasonably accessible, although the 'electrics' side is toward the wheel arch so couldn't be removed in-situ without removing the whole unit.

Interesting item here re diagnosing various ABS faults:-

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm

Edited by icarusi@hotmail

I currently have this fault.....car is a Petrol Vrs and is 3 years 8 months old (24k miles).

Skoda have offered to pay 60% - though I'm not particularly happy given that the garage I have taken it to have just got 100% of the cost paid on 2 VW cars of similar cars. I know some Seat owners are getting the full 100% paid as well. It's a known fault!!

Given I've had a Superb, Fabia and Octavia as 3 of my last cars, I not masively impressed and when the car is sold on Friday, I won't be buying a another Skoda anytime soon. Shame really as I fancied a Yeti :)

I must say that Octavias seem to suffer with some expensive faults. There is a guy in my village who has a blue '07 vRS. I hadn't seen it for a couple of weeks so when I saw him yesterday I asked if he'd sold it. He told me know, but its been at the dealer having a new aircon compressor fitted and the gearbox rebuilt. The car has less than 24k on it, so he's not a happy chap.

Re these ABS units I reckon if mine failed I would try small claims court action, arguing that under SOGA it should last a 'reasonable' length of time. I think 5 years would be appropriate for a major safety related component. Remember 'warranty' is in addition to statutory rights - your rights don't end when warranty expires.

There was a case highlighted by Consumers' Association where a small metal pin broke in the gearbox of a four year old Honda Civic. The owner successfully argued that the failure was premature and the court decided that Honda should replace the gearbox FOC.

retail on these units were £1068 plus vat, i work for tps we do all four vag brands and the amount of pumps i've ordered for customers is huge, to be honest it was more vw than any other model, vag have reduced the retail on the units to £665 so they have tried to take the sting out of it a bit i suppose

Skoda ESP systems are changing, the Yeti is obviously the first to be fitted with the new system and has the option of the 'off-road' mode ESP.

The following link gives a brief insight to the planned changes; note in CZ so need something like Google translate.

Konec vypínatelného ESP ve vozech Škoda se blíží, Yeti je první vlaštovkou | AUTO.CZ

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is going in tomorrow for a diagnosis, but I suspect its another ABS unit failure.

The dealer wasn't too impressed when I said that I'd heard it was a common thing....... Reply: We've done a few, but it not common !

Wait and see what tomorrow brings, if it is an ABS unit, hope my Tesco warranty covers it.